Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 11:26   #1

Excel Food Provisioning List

After perusing the extensive opinions on provisioning I put together a list that seems to be a consensus of opinions on the provisioning needs for long cruising.

Clearly not everone would stock all of the list- and I'm sure others would have additions.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Provisioning List.xls (34.0 KB, 9392 views)
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 12:05   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Your list si very good.

You indicate there are 3 different types of sugars, 4 different types of flour, 3 types of rice, 9 pastas, and 5 oils.

When you start cruising you will be very happy to have one of each

but its a good list

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:29   #3

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
You do not have quantities listed. Where are you leaving from? How long will you be in the US? Where are you headed?

I ask because I started with an excel list and modified it after 3 months out...wishing I had purchased more of several items. There are many items we take for granted here that you just can't find 'out there'.
Old 24-08-2010, 19:22   #4

The list was only a compilation of what I had found reading the thread discussing the food provisioning "musts". I put it together on a boring day at work- while I was playing out the fantasy trip my husband and I will begin in about 2 years.

I love to cook. I have been proud of the meals I put together on our long backcountry back pack trips- with incredibly tiny weight/space limits- so I can only imagine the fun I will have with ever so much storage space than a backpack!

A special part of cruising for me will be time to make the "whole foods" I love to do. I really can't wait to have hours to linger over breads etc... while sailing or at a lovely port.

I left a column for amounts to be filled in- this is something I have no clue yet how to manage. Maybe others can give their thoughts to contribute.

Again the list was not a presentation of something defiinitive- we have yet to be gone longer than 2 weeks so I am quite clueless on how to provision for 1 month, 6 months, a year... I was mearly using my OCD tendencies, boredom, and my ability to gather information to present something that others might find usefull- or not.
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:54   #5
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
I have provisioned with dry goods, and most foods, for as long as 8 months. One shortcut system is to plan, per person per day, 1 cup fruit, 1 cup veg, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 cups grain (cereal, flour, pasta) and 1/2 cup meat (or fish, beans, etc.) These items come in many forms but the basics remain the same. Of course you'll also need non-food items, condiments and spirits but this is a start. Bon voyage!
Old 29-09-2010, 08:36   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Nice job Erin. The list is useful to me because it reminds me of the possibilities, rather than suggesting amounts or costs or personal opinion. I'm going to use it to make sure I've got the bases covered; and a few special items for those special occasions.

I've added four more columns to the spreadsheet: size; cost; purchase date; and location. Those items are important to me but don't detract from the work or usefulness of the spreadsheet.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:27   #7

Great list Erin! Fantastically useful as I am just starting out with my provisioning list and came across this post! Next step = some nice recipies / day by day meal prep to sort out but this is invaluable - thank you for sharing!!
wkd928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:47   #8

Here is yet another spreadsheet to add to the mix. I've pretty much the exact same spreadsheet with color coding as well which automatically changes the background color of an item from green, to yellow, to red - depending on where it is in it's lifecycle. One of these days I'll salvage the hard drive from that dead machine and post that one as well (amazing what you'll do to cull boredom on a long plane flight!).
Attached Files
File Type: xls Provisioning (Old Excel).xls (34.0 KB, 2001 views)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 17:15   #9

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Here is yet another spreadsheet to add to the mix. I've pretty much the exact same spreadsheet with color coding as well which automatically changes the background color of an item from green, to yellow, to red - depending on where it is in it's lifecycle. One of these days I'll salvage the hard drive from that dead machine and post that one as well (amazing what you'll do to cull boredom on a long plane flight!).
This list will definitely sink my boat
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:21   #10

Boat: Custom Wood Sloop 30 Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
150 bottles of spirits, 1000 beers and 100 bottles of wine to last 6 months is a bit more than I usually drink--laughing so far at the list but thanks for the effort--I will consider it and it will help me--your list and the one at the first post will be helpful as we develop our own. Thanks
Ottis and Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:56   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Both lists above are excellent. One is a great "things to condisder" and I like the cost calculation in Aussie's.

My wife (Entlie on this Forum) keeps one in Excel which we normally include as part of a seminar and disk we sell for new cruisers. We have made it available to the Forum before on an as asked bases.

It is for a basic 6 month cruise but expecting some addition and reprovision as opportunities present themselves.

If you would like the latest copy, PM either me or Entlie (include your regular email addres) and we will email it to you.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:35   #12

Re: Excel Food Provisioning List

Hi George,

I am new to sailing, and going for a 10 day test run over the holidays. Would you share your provisioning excel sheet with me? My email is jennifer.leising@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Kluane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 19:09   #13

Boat: Looking for Cat. between 32-40ft to sail around the world From Florida startn 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
You do not have quantities listed. Where are you leaving from? How long will you be in the US? Where are you headed?

I ask because I started with an excel list and modified it after 3 months out...wishing I had purchased more of several items. There are many items we take for granted here that you just can't find 'out there'.
What iteams are in short supply "out around islands" & what would you of taken extra ?
welshdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 20:22   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Generally you take a good supply of your specific special foodstuffs, spices, etc. that are unique to your home. Once you leave the USA you will be buying European or the local country's foodstuff and personal use products. Most little countries cannot afford to stock in their food stores more than one or maybe two brands of any specific item.
- - In reality, it is not a big problem as you quickly get used to whatever is available locally and shopping is quicker - as an example there is only one brand/type of peanut butter.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 22:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for sharing your list Erin, downloaded and saved it
I will use this as a guide to the supermarket when I'm cruising

afro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, provisioning