Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 19:52   #76

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Eating 1 of 2 Mahi Mahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're right. Usually the thermocline is at about 400ft.

Darn, for a second there I was all excited for cold beer n fish.
Old 09-03-2014, 20:01   #77

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The world is full of carnivores.
When I catch a fish, I give it an alcoholic overdose via spray in both gills with some tequila.
Works great. Within a minute or so, they're gone. Mahi mahi go silver, and I know they have gone to fish heaven.
People are free to be or not to be, but here's a GRAPHIC example of Nature, NOT for the naive audience, Nature is what it is:

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 20:10   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Nothing quite so tasty as filleting an Ahi and eating bits while you are doing it. Kind of tickles as it goes down with it still twitching.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 20:34   #79

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have actualy down sized our fishing gear! We have plenty of boat canned fish aboard already!! So now the big ones get off ! we also quit towing lines when we have fresh caught fish aboard! A few years back we needed the fish to keep our costs way down! With the luck we have had in the last few years, we are able to make do without haveing fish as much ! anyway, down here in the Gulf theres so many fish, and they are so easy to catch, if ya want some ya just throw the gear out and ya will get something soon !! But never forget boat canning of fish is easy to do !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 21:24   #80

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
One of the joys of eating Mahi is that you dont have to worry about ciguartaria. That is true of most palagic fish(tuna, whahoo, barracuda if you are away from islands). Barracuda near reefs can be quite poisonous. On my last delivery from Hawaii, my crew caught a tuna, and we devoured it (with wasabi) before it changed temperature. God I wish I was on the ocean again. ______Grant.

Mmm, fresh Mahi Mahi tacos in the cockpit for lunch, it was a good day on the passage from Honolulu to Victoria, B.C.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28   #81

Fish farming is evil, lots of antibiotics needed to stop disease spread just like factory cage chickens. For blue fin tuna they catch wild ones and fatten them up by feeding them pilchards. It is a business and overall is not good for the eviroment or fish stocks. They also **** a lot and harbour sealice and other parisites/diseases which can all be transferred to local wild stocks. Also you get escapees causing all kinds of issues.

Mahi mahi are probably the most ecologically viable fish to catch.

Fish stocks have been decimated over the last 300 years mostly due to, over population of humans on this planet, factory fishing fleets and degredation of our enviroment, pollution and coastal development.

Wild food tastes best whether it is a B.C mouse steak (yum) or mahi mahi sashimi.

Factory farmed food is good for woosies.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:12   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Nothing quite so tasty as filleting an Ahi and eating bits while you are doing it. Kind of tickles as it goes down with it still twitching.
+1

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:36   #83

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post

Wild food tastes best whether it is a B.C mouse steak (yum) or mahi mahi sashimi.

Ya'll got some perty big mice down there don'cha pardner? or are them's jes the appitizer?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:49   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
Fish farming is evil, lots of antibiotics needed to stop disease spread just like factory cage chickens. For blue fin tuna they catch wild ones and fatten them up by feeding them pilchards. It is a business and overall is not good for the eviroment or fish stocks. They also **** a lot and harbour sealice and other parisites/diseases which can all be transferred to local wild stocks. Also you get escapees causing all kinds of issues.

Mahi mahi are probably the most ecologically viable fish to catch.

Fish stocks have been decimated over the last 300 years mostly due to, over population of humans on this planet, factory fishing fleets and degredation of our enviroment, pollution and coastal development.

I agree it's evil. They should be required to move the pens around constantly like fish move. I have diver friends who say the floor under the pens is a bit like the ground under a rabbit hutch, all poop and lost food. It's gross.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56   #85

I am amazed the the sheer volume of mis-information on this thread!

1) Most sushi sold in the US is previously frozen. Eating raw fish that has not been treated for parasites is asking for trouble. This is not required by the FDA, but recommended for most species, and almost all suppliers will comply with it.
2) Mahi-mahi is a huge commercial fishery and almost all of the Mahi sold in the US is wild, not farm raised.
3) Aquaculture can be unsustainable, but there are plenty of sustainable farm raised fish. Just like wild fisheries, some are sustainable, some are a bit of a disaster
4) it is very easy to be a vegetarian anywhere. Why would anyone think it would be hard? Most people in the world eat mostly vegetarian. Beans and grains have a very long shelf-life and are available almost everywhere.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 18:14   #86

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Same goes for Australians who continue to torture and eat dugong and turtles.

as an aussie I would like to set the record strait ,it is illegal for me to eat dugong and turtles , and I never have
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 02:38   #87

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

This thread is a great reminder, some strange cats out there.......

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 03:50   #88

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post

as an aussie I would like to set the record strait ,it is illegal for me to eat dugong and turtles , and I never have
While I haven't either, one has to remember that one mans venison is another mans Bambi. Its quite legal for Indigenous Aussies to eat them as far as I know and so be it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 05:35   #89

Boat: Southcoast 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post

Ok I have to chime in here.

When I first moved to the Torres Straits, I was dismayed at the killing of turtles and dugong by the Islanders. Also, indigenous Islanders were not subject to the regulatory size or bag limits that applied to fishing. The disparity of a one state two sets of rules for indigenous and non indigenous got me railing with youthful self righteous indignation.

What I learned over my time living there was that while I may have been able to meet the high cost of food (meat in particular) as I was an employed professional, many of the islanders being either unemployed or on welfare could not. A few liters of petrol to hunt a dugong, turtle and fish was a far more viable option for many of them to feed their families.

Have there been abuses of these special rules? Yes. Instances of turtle and dugong being sold to indigenous family or friends has occurred. As far as I am aware, this sort of activity is illegal and indigenous individuals have been caught and prosecuted for these activities.

For me, this whole issue also raises that old chestnut of greater value being placed on some animals over others. I just don't get this. Don't get me wrong, I think dugong and turtle are magnificent creatures but are they more magnificent than a cow? A pig? A fish? A crab? A prawn?

If we choose to eat meat then at some point, an animal has to be killed and butchered. I am not convinced that a cow or sheep processed in one of even the most modern abattoirs is any more or less distressed than an animal hunted, killed and butchered in its natural environment. I have been fortunate enough to experience a lifestyle where I was surviving off the land, hunting and butchering my own meat for an extended period of time. This gave me an appreciation of the realities involved in meat eating. Much more so than having to decide over neat plastic packages on a supermarket shelf.

This issue is more complicated than many of us presume. I am convinced that poverty, geographical isolation, lower education and living standards are far higher contributors to the hunting and eating of genuinely threatened wildlife and correcting this is where efforts need to be directed.

Rant \off

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 14:53   #90

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

the only reason its wrong to kill , eat dugongs is there is not that many of them around. if we could farm them like pigs , keeping there species alive for ever , than it would be fine to eat them ,why ? , because we are natural meat eaters . I know Vegans will denies this , but they are true believers in the church of veganism and will denies this for ever
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote