Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 09:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31
Dry Ice

Anyone use dry ice, advantages, etc?
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Dry Ice

When I had my first 21' sailboat many moons ago I always used dry ice in a cheap 48 quart cooler. But I only was a weekend or so sailor back then. The advantages on a small boat with little power is clear. With the new technology in coolers such as the "Yeti" I would suppose it makes even more sense. But for long distance cruising I would think it would be tough if not near impossible to keep re-supplying dry Ice as you travel.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:08   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsail920 View Post
Anyone use dry ice, advantages, etc?
Dry ice keeps things frozen, water ice keeps things cool(refrigerated). Dry Ice releases CO2 which is heavier than air and can accumulate below decks, especially in a buttoned up boat. It can become toxic, but will trigger the feeling of not getting enough air well before it becomes life threatening. I have used dry ice before but I always kept the cooler on deck. If your "ice box" has a way to drain the CO2 overboard such as a meltwater drain that goes overboard and not into the bilge It should not be a problem. As Tellie says, it's good for short trips, but is difficult to obtain for long term cruising. I had an 8lb block in a large "5 day"cooler covered with water ice and it was 7 days before the water ice began to melt. The combo lasted about 12 days. It might have gone a bit longer if I had used block water ice instead of cubes. Everything in the cooler was frozen rock hard until the dry ice had disappeared. I made the mistake of putting a couple of sodas in the cooler to chill them quickly and waited too long to pull them out. They froze solid and split open in just a little over an hour.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:25   #4

Boat: Westsail 28

We used to use it . We don't have a reefer , but our "box" has a well in it that will accept a 50 lb. block of ice and we just put cubed ice and our stuff on top of it . It's amazing how long the block will last if you can keep cubed ice on it . A thing that really helps us out is a separate ice chest (Igloo) to put our frozen stuff in , and we only open that one up once or twice a day . That one we use dry ice in some times some times we just put in a block . One day we will get that "Yeti".
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:26   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We used to use dry ice in a styrofoam cooler on the transpac race. Things would stay hard frozen for about a week. We would take the day's casserole out of the dry ice and use it in another cooler to cool down the beer as it thawed. No worries at all about leaving it below decks--diffusion will clear out the trickle of CO2 way before it becomes toxic.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:15   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Like others I've used it on runs up to about 1 week. Works fine if used properly, but of course comes with availabilitly and safety issues.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

Thank you all for input.
Will give it a shot.
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote