Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2014, 19:05   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Drinking Rainwater with Tiny Bugs Swimming in It

We collect rainwater from the roof of my house in the tropics... 15,000 and 5,000 gallons into two cisterns. I would never drink that water straight (worms I am sure). However, we do filter it and use it for the ice machines. We periodically throw one of those chlorine pool tablets in the water.

I know all sorts of bugs and critters get into the cistern but we have been using it for ice for 30 or so years without ill effect.

Old 14-03-2014, 19:29   #17

Boat: None yet
Re: Drinking rainwater with tiny bugs swimming in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If humans are so easy to die, we would not last this long. It is good to know that evolution took care of us; when we ingest the food, the food actually stays outside of our body. The water and nutrients are being absorbed into our body.

Also bacteria does not grow like that in a water bottle. You can easily do an experiment.
1. Open a seal bottle
2. Introduce some of your saliva into the bottle
3. Cap the bottle and put in an incubator at 37 degree or whatever you like.
4. Observe the bottle. There will be no bacteria growth.

If someone drink this bottle two years later. He wont be sick.

The invention of the water bottle is the worst environmental disaster that we human brought to ourselves. More toxic chemicals get into our drinking water by the water filters they use in general.
Now that would be a really bad idea! There are a huge number of bacteria in your mouth and saliva, the bad ones are kept in check by the good ones. There are also a whole lot of sloughed cells from your mouth in your spit.

In the sealed bottle the bacteria that use oxygen would grow first, then the anaerobes would take over. What you spit in there 24 hours ago would be completely different and not at all appetizing! Make you sick? More than likely. After two years it would be putrid.

foz

Old 14-03-2014, 19:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
We all know that it's unhealthy to drink water with bugs swimming around in it. This is common knowledge.

However, has anyone here ever tried it & got sick?

I have a friend who tried it & said he felt energized, so I looked it up & there was a page about biological transmutation of the elements & Louis Fertanz, & it suggested people only drink rainwater stored in tanks for a while, because of the benefits from drinking the biological matter in it.

That just sounds far out, doesn't it? LOL

Anyone tried else tried it?
It really depends upon which bugs are floating around in it. I've drunk lot's of water from Aussie rooftop collection systems and not been sick. If I drank similar water where a Canada Goose had just pooped on the roof, I wouldn't like my chances. Wildlife carry a lot more nasty bacteria and protozoa than they did 25 years ago. Also, antibiotic resistant bacteria and nasties such as E. coli O157 have multiplied.

On a boat out to sea, a collection system would be pretty safe, especially if you made sure the seagulls didn't poop on it!

foz
Old 14-03-2014, 19:40   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Never ever drink any "open" water without boiling it first; rain water, spring water, glacier water, water falls and such. Bottled spring/glacier water undergo extensive filtration and microbiological testing before being bottled. Once in the bottle, a "puff" of nitrogen gas is added before capping, to retard any growth. Boil your water! It's a very cheap advice! Take it!

Mauritz
Jeeze, Mauritz, the vast majority of rural (and some suburban) Aussies rely entirely on rainwater captured on their roofs and piped into tanks. The sophisticated ones have coarse screens to remove the drowned possums and lizards. None of these folks boil their water, except to turn it into tea.

Your advice goes against a hell of a lot of real world experience.

Oh, btw, we have used water captured off our awnings for years, still looking down at the grass. The only time we ever had a water borne disease was city water in Puerto Vallarta where there was an amoebic contamination issue... lots of gringos were stricken.

Jim
Old 14-03-2014, 19:50   #20

Risk is about probability times consequentiality

The people who say "No Problemo" are correct, in that in all probability the bugs will be benign.

The people who say "Big Problemo" are also correct, given that very occasionally, the bugs will be very malign indeed.

I think that, at this stage of first world culture, the latter point of view has an unhealthy predominance. Generally the assessment of risk by the general public is now done purely on worst-case scenarios, with little if any sense of proportion.

And increasingly, given that we tend to live in democracies, with the general public "informed" by the popular press and the internet -- which are involved in a titanic race to the bottom --

it is not surprising to me that, in most areas where worst-case thinking does not compete head-on with big business and big money, legislation and policy is increasingly warped in the same way as public opinion.
Old 14-03-2014, 19:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jeeze, Mauritz, the vast majority of rural (and some suburban) Aussies rely entirely on rainwater captured on their roofs and piped into tanks. The sophisticated ones have coarse screens to remove the drowned possums and lizards. None of these folks boil their water, except to turn it into tea.

Your advice goes against a hell of a lot of real world experience.

Oh, btw, we have used water captured off our awnings for years, still looking down at the grass. The only time we ever had a water borne disease was city water in Puerto Vallarta where there was an amoebic contamination issue... lots of gringos were stricken.

Jim
Indeed that's true, but hopefully the screens keep the possums out before they drown! If you know where the water is coming from and have some sedimentation and crude filtering it should be OK.

However drinking water from a moving stream as Mauritz indicated, is a bad idea. Up here when winter camping in the frozen north we will crash through the ice, take a pail of water out and then let it sit for a while so the Giardia (beaver fever protozoa) sink to the bottom. We then decant and filter the top layer before drinking. Anything else would be a risk not worth taking.
Old 14-03-2014, 21:51   #22

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

What they teach, in medical and pharmacy schools, is to boil any "open source" of water. What you want to do with this free advice, is up to you. Ignorance is bliss!

Mauritz
Pharmacy - Board Certified
Old 14-03-2014, 22:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
What they teach, in medical and pharmacy schools, is to boil any "open source" of water. What you want to do with this free advice, is up to you. Ignorance is bliss!

Mauritz
Pharmacy - Board Certified
In your post you said "Never ever drink any "open" water without boiling it first; rain water..."

I merely point out that thousands of Aussies do this routinely, and their morbidity statistics seem to say that it is ok. And many others besides Aussies are using the same sort of water... I just happen to be able to personally see the Aussies doing it, and so use them as an example.

So I question the validity of your free advice.

Stream water or the other sources that you mention are far more likely to be contaminated with pathogens than rainwater, and should indeed be treated before drinking. But this thread was about rainwater.

Jim
Old 15-03-2014, 05:05   #24

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

We drink roof water for months at a time. Birds **** on the roof and in the gutters, cockroaches drown in the tank, leaves rot in the mud on the floor of the tank - tastes much better than municipal chlorinated flouridated water and has never made us sick. No boil, no filter.

Regards,
Richard.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:19   #25

Jim I absolutely love your post!
Real life experience trumps modern pseudoscientificy-sounding fears any day. BTW: No one's really mentioned how energizing it makes one feel to drink rainwater, even if it has tiny things moving around in it! Does it give one more energy after drinking it, compared to chlorinated tap? More invigorating? Doesn't it have some sort of chi-like quality to it?
Old 15-03-2014, 09:35   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I guess my only disagreement with this statement would be the rain water part. I am currently designing a rain water catchment system. I don't intend to boil that water. I will have some particulate filters (under pump because that will be more efficient then gravity) and the cloth its collected on will be dedicated just for catching water.

Do you really think that would be such a bad plan?
That was our set up for 17 years and we used it all over south Florida and the Caribbean. We never used it in the northern U.S. because there was so much dirt, etc. that came down with the rains. It went through a debris filter, directly into our tank via a hose connected to the bimini, not a specific cloth. So we did have to allow the rains to rinse off any dirt before we started collecting. But the catcher was always in place and ready, even in the middle of the night. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 09:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In your post you said "Never ever drink any "open" water without boiling it first; rain water..."

I merely point out that thousands of Aussies do this routinely, and their morbidity statistics seem to say that it is ok. And many others besides Aussies are using the same sort of water... I just happen to be able to personally see the Aussies doing it, and so use them as an example.

So I question the validity of your free advice.

Stream water or the other sources that you mention are far more likely to be contaminated with pathogens than rainwater, and should indeed be treated before drinking. But this thread was about rainwater.

Jim
Jim, Not to mention that water catchment, without boiling, is the main water source for most Bahamians and they seem to be pretty healthy. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 10:09   #28
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Have filled plenty of canteens with catchment from my rain fly up in the mountains without ever having any sickness from it. Did have a friend who was hospitalized after drinking stream water without boiling first. Strange thing, I drank the water about two feet away and never had an issue there either.
Old 15-03-2014, 10:31   #29

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

I grew up drinking the water in the Oregon woods. We never gave a second thought about drinking water from a stream. We didn't know anything was wrong until all the Californians (and others) brought their paranoia up here, suddenly there's supposed to be all kinds of nasty gremlins lurking everywhere just waiting to sicken or kill us or maybe make our babies be born naked.....well maybe that's a little of a stretch, but you see what I mean! Anyway, there's probably more danger drinking some of that chemical laced crap in cities than drinking from a mountain stream that has been filtered through sand and gravel or rain water that has been in effect distilled by nature.
My dad used to say "it takes dirt to grow boys", meaning that exposure to nature strengthens the body and it's defenses. If you started out in a sterilized world, you should probably stay there, or bring your life support chemicals with you. The rest of us are better off without them.
Old 15-03-2014, 10:57   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

I spent many decades canoeing and kayaking around various Canadian wilderness areas. I would routinely drink from rivers, springs and lakes. I still drink water from Lake Superior (my main cruising grounds). I would have few concerns about drinking rain water.

BTW, there is a real risk in drinking from any open water source, but this risk can be mitigated and managed with a little thought and understanding. I prefer to try and understand and assess the actual risk, as opposed to blindly following arbitrary all-encomapssing rules.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: