Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 17:30   #31

Re: Avoid Washington Oysters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
They are delicious and really hard to describe and best if you shuck your own on the beach also the garlic is for the butter we dip the clams in
If you really believe that, you obviously haven't been to the gulf coast.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 18:24   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue62 View Post
If you really believe that, you obviously haven't been to the gulf coast.
Actually I have been there and have family all along the coast from corpus Christi to Gulfport and there is a definite difference in flavor. All my relatives say they prefer the flavor of the oysters here over there but it is a personal preference I think it has something to do with the water temperature
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 18:29   #33

Re: Don't Buy Washington Oysters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Cheech-to add to your warning, the pesticide that is going to be used is a potent neurotoxin, it is to be sprayed over the water by helicopter. It has never been used in water, any potential effects are totally unknown, even the WA Dep't of Ecology is against using this particular pesticide and in fact, the manufacturer says it should not be used in, on or near water. According to the state, this is an "experimental" use to try and control the burrowing shrimp that ruin oyster beds. Great idea, huh?
Sure, great idea.

We have the opposite here. The water hyacinths are taking over the Delta, even some big ships heading upriver have been stopped.

Proven stuff to kill 'em off can't happen anymore because of the damned environmentalists.

Jerks all over, it seems.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 21:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Useless scare tactics. Pesticides are used on almost every food stuff, including organic. The danger from our food is not from quality or additives but from quantity. Despite the fact that we have become a nation of fatties, our lifespan keeps increasing. More oysters for me to eat in any case.

before regurgitating the propaganda of increased life span you really should look into how that is being measured. sure the "average" life span is increasing but if you look into the life span of those that have reached adulthood, you would be depressed. the primary reason average lifespan is increasing is due to reduced infant and childhood mortality. it has nothing to do with people living longer and healthier lives

increased pesticides and reduced food quality has had a huge impact on health and longevity. the reason why quantity has become a problem is that the body is craving the vitamins and minerals that are missing in our foods and pushes us to eat more to try and make up for the lack of nutrients in the modern food
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 21:34   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
before regurgitating the propaganda of increased life span you really should look into how that is being measured. sure the "average" life span is increasing but if you look into the life span of those that have reached adulthood, you would be depressed. the primary reason average lifespan is increasing is due to reduced infant and childhood mortality. it has nothing to do with people living longer and healthier lives

increased pesticides and reduced food quality has had a huge impact on health and longevity. the reason why quantity has become a problem is that the body is craving the vitamins and minerals that are missing in our foods and pushes us to eat more to try and make up for the lack of nutrients in the modern food
That's why my dad is a healthy 91 years old
Old 01-05-2015, 21:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That's why my dad is a healthy 91 years old

that is great, but one old guy does not make a trend. every infant that "should" have died, offsets someone that should have lived as long as your pops. statistics can be very deceiving
Old 01-05-2015, 23:02   #37

There will always be those who trade taste for a passing false belief in food value's. Do you still abstain from eggs? Is cholesterol still a major concern to you? Do you swear by canola oil? What is a canola? [ I'm sure you know] We've been fooled by a lot of things.
Old 01-05-2015, 23:18   #38

Quote:
There will always be those who trade taste for a passing false belief in food value's. Do you still abstain from eggs? Is cholesterol still a major concern to you? Do you swear by canola oil? What is a canola? [ I'm sure you know] We've been fooled by a lot of things.

i never abstained from eggs( the problem is not with "eggs" but with the health of the chickens that laid the eggs. you wont catch me dead eating commercial factory farmed eggs), nor did i jump on the cholesterol bandwagon, canola which is just a marketing name for the plant "rape" and canola oil is the oil extracted from the rape seed was never a good choice for a food oil, i guess i cant blame them for coming up with a new name, kinda hard to sell something called "Rape". while it is easy to see how some have been fooled into thinking the above mentioned was the right thing to do, i dont see how anyone can swallow the pill when they tell you the POISON they spray on your food is only going to hurt the bad bugs (shrimp) and plants but is totally harmless to you when you eat it.
Old 01-05-2015, 23:59   #39

Your obviously very informed. I wish I had met you before I turned 69. I can't help but think how much better my health would be. If you have a health blog or a book out please forward the info. Thanks. Meanwhile I'll content myself to be your enlightened friend.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well we had a positive effect Taylor Shellfish Farms backs away from oyster pesticide spraying here's the article that just posted overnight
Old 02-05-2015, 15:02   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Canola is the name of the company not the plant the oil comes from.
The oil is from the seed of the rapeseed plant. Which BTW is also the plant that they made mustard gas in ww1 from. I will stick to corn or peanut oil myself
YMMV
Old 02-05-2015, 16:26   #42
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

All depends who you ask

http://www.newgrangegold.ie/oils-exp...d-vs-olive-oil

http://authoritynutrition.com/canola-oil-good-or-bad/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 18:10   #43

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
Noted with some amusement the slam against "Eastern" oysters - funny, several million people seem to disagree with you on that one! I can only assume you either have no sense of taste (sniffed too much glue and pesticides as a child, perhaps?)- or you've never had a Wellfleet or Pemaquid oyster!
Or you simply have no taste. That's ok - more for the rest of us! Enjoy your hot dogs!
If you're referring to my post about the relative lack of taste of Eastern Seaboard flatshell oysters, you're absolutely right; I've never had a "Wellfleet" or a "Pemaquid".

The only ones I've eaten locally were either "chilled" on the half-shell, smothered in sauce, or fried to death, so I'd be hard pressed to argue with those millions of people who eat that kind of **** on a daily basis.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:29   #44

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Yeahhhhh!! Just in time for my trimonthly oyster binge and visit with my mother in Burlington, WA. Let's see now, oyster shooters for breakfast at the Train Wreck Cafe, then out to Chuckanut to the Taylor Oyster beds to pick up a couple bags of mediums, stopping in Edison for a snack at the Longhorn, then out to my brother's in the upper Skagit for roasted oysters, razor clams from the Olympic peninsula, all kinds of local craft beers and ales, followed by baked salmon. Yes, life is good. Thank goodness for the power of Cruiser's Forum to stand up to corporate greed. And Cheechako, thank you for bringing this to our attention. The first round at the Train Wreck is on me. PM for details. Yummmmmmm!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 21:02   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Roy please do tell I will be in eagle harbor this week shall I go north a lil?

Tags
washing, oyster, Washington