Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 06:06   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Don't Bogart that Joint... Eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Interesting news feed:
U.S. Border Patrol Questioned Canadian Fishermen in Disputed Waters – gCaptain

the U.S. agents claimed to be “looking for illegal immigrants.”

Crew members of two Canadian fishing vessels were approached by the United States border patrol in Canadian waters in the Gulf of Maine in late June, according to the Canadian government, which is investigating the matter.
“Canada continues to investigate these incidents that occurred in Canadian waters, including through engaging with U.S. agencies involved in the matter,” John Babcock, a spokesman for Global Affairs Canada said on Wednesday.
Babcock said the incidents occurred on June 24 and June 25 near Machias Seal Island
Yup … shades of things to come I suspect.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:04   #92

Just stumbled across this recent news clip. I’ve encountered these citizenship check points when travelling north of the USA/Mexico border, but now they appear to be expanding to the USA/Canadian border. I can’t understand how these things are considered legal, but they are reminiscent of the arbitrary powers the USCG has:

https://youtu.be/ML1_rCrKn_E

It’s certainly going to become more interesting for Canadians travelling in or even near the USA once weed is legalized here.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:37   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You tube link broken
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You tube link broken
Hmmm, didn’t create a link (b/c I’m using the mobile version of CF?), but if you cut&pase it worked for me. I’m using the mobile version.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:40   #95

Well, HM in Right of Canada is a bit up the creek on this one :-)

The RCN is serving as a "rentacop" in something the Americans call "Operation Caribbe" aimed at interdicting drug traffickers international waters. It is alleged that Canada is complicit in breaches of sundry treaties and regulations regarding treatment of detainees aboard USCG vessels. There is a stink about it in the House of Commons.

However, this one has a serious potential for becoming more political than we like, so perhaps "nuff said" unless people wish to discuss it via PMs?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:52   #96
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike-
When you asked why cannabis is any different from an unregistered dinghy?
OK, here's the analogy. One has to do with ships's regulations, the other is a controlled substance.
Very much the same way that Japan may ban the presence of any USN vessel carrying nuclear weapons, even if those weapons are expressly condoned and required by US law for that vessel.
With pot, no one knows if that nickel bag is yours, or if you're going to sell it. You are less likely to be trafficking in dinghies.

And will someone please thank the Canadian legislators for me, if they are going to make a formal big stink and withdraw from joint drug operations with our USCG? In the US, none of our national Nooze seems concerned that the USCG is conducting outright illegal interdictions and officially inhumane prisoner treatment. I get it, these are not nice guys, the druggies. Doesn't affect the rules we're required to play by. Canada would simply be abiding by international law if it pulled out. Or filed charges.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 13:07   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike-
When you asked why cannabis is any different from an unregistered dinghy?
OK, here's the analogy. One has to do with ships's regulations, the other is a controlled substance.
Very much the same way that Japan may ban the presence of any USN vessel carrying nuclear weapons, even if those weapons are expressly condoned and required by US law for that vessel.
With pot, no one knows if that nickel bag is yours, or if you're going to sell it. You are less likely to be trafficking in dinghies.

And will someone please thank the Canadian legislators for me, if they are going to make a formal big stink and withdraw from joint drug operations with our USCG? In the US, none of our national Nooze seems concerned that the USCG is conducting outright illegal interdictions and officially inhumane prisoner treatment. I get it, these are not nice guys, the druggies. Doesn't affect the rules we're required to play by. Canada would simply be abiding by international law if it pulled out. Or filed charges.
I don’t know the details of Japan’s approach, but Canada also bans nuclear-carrying vessels from coming into our waters. I’m sure this causes consternation for the US Navy at times.

But the circumstance I’m querying is not a vessel entering foreign waters. The issue is around 'innocent passage,' which is by the UN law of the sea, something that allows for the unfettered transit of a vessel. The US Navy vigorously defends its right to undertake innocent passages, even through what some other nations consider internal waterway (like the Northwest Passage).
Old 08-07-2018, 13:20   #98
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah, innocent passage, drug interdiction, and the War of 1812. Sometimes we tend to get the issues mixed up or forget which convenient viewpoints have been changed from time to time.

I suspect our nuclear subs have been quietly trying to improve their navigation under the polar ice, so as not to accidentally transgress in Canadian waters for a long time now. (Really, it is all part of a plan to get Canada so angry that you guys invade us, expand south all the way to Mexico, and then you see, YOU have to pay for that wall.(G)
Old 08-07-2018, 13:32   #99

Quote:
Yeah, innocent passage, drug interdiction, and the War of 1812. Sometimes we tend to get the issues mixed up or forget which convenient viewpoints have been changed from time to time.

I suspect our nuclear subs have been quietly trying to improve their navigation under the polar ice, so as not to accidentally transgress in Canadian waters for a long time now. (Really, it is all part of a plan to get Canada so angry that you guys invade us, expand south all the way to Mexico, and then you see, YOU have to pay for that wall.(G)
It’s all part of our secret Manifest Destiny

No worries about us invading south though. It’s way too hot down there for most Canadians. Maybe we could just take some of your northern states. Maine, upper New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Washington are already pretty Canadian . We could swap Alberta, or perhaps parts of Quebec.
Old 08-07-2018, 13:40   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

really does america have anything that canada needs that would justify invading
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:03   #101

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
really does america have anything that canada needs that would justify invading

We really like their scuffed shoes! / Len
Old 08-07-2018, 14:14   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
We really like their scuffed shoes! / Len
don't forget the kardashians for cultural value
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:24   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
don't forget the kardashians for cultural value

We gave them Justin Bieber
Old 08-07-2018, 14:35   #104
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Can't fool us all the time, guys. Parts of Floridia around Broward County or Tampa/St.P, you can hear as much French in the supermarkets every fall as you'd hear Cubano. And it ain't Haitian. Folks claiming "We're Canadian, eh?" have been very popular with the real estate brokers, so either there are hordes of Canadians in the southern US already, or y'all had better find out who has been impersonating you. (North Korean hackers with good plastic surgery, no doubt.)
Old 08-07-2018, 15:02   #105

Quote:
Can't fool us all the time, guys. Parts of Floridia around Broward County or Tampa/St.P, you can hear as much French in the supermarkets every fall as you'd hear Cubano. And it ain't Haitian. Folks claiming "We're Canadian, eh?" have been very popular with the real estate brokers, so either there are hordes of Canadians in the southern US already, or y'all had better find out who has been impersonating you. (North Korean hackers with good plastic surgery, no doubt.)

We've been quietly buying Fla. for some time now.
We only need it during the winter,so should be no problem,eh!
We send the french speakers in first as spies. They are like "code talkers".
Len