Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Does no one use shoulder yokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
For reference:

https://qz.com/1033799/women-still-c...-worlds-water/

Water is heavy. The World Health Organization recommends 20-50 liters of water per person per day for drinking, cooking, and washing. That amounts to hauling between 44 and 110 pounds of water daily for use by EACH household member. And in many places, water sources are far from homes. In Asia and Africa, women walk an average of 3.7 miles per day collecting water. Carrying such loads over long distances can result in strained backs, shoulders, and necks, and other injuries if women have to walk over uneven and steep terrain or on busy roads.

The burden is even heavier for women who are pregnant or are also carrying small children. Moreover, pregnant women worry that transporting these heavy loads will lead to early labor or even miscarriage.
Makes me wonder how I managed a 47 days non stop Caribe to UK trip on a Bene 321 with just 200 litres.. with some left over when I arrived..
Obviously measured by Western standards.. the majority manage on much less.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38   #77

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Does no one use shoulder yokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It's usually best to just have the women make two trips

+1! While I fix the water maker!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:54   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Makes me wonder how I managed a 47 days non stop Caribe to UK trip on a Bene 321 with just 200 litres.. with some left over when I arrived..
Obviously measured by Western standards.. the majority manage on much less.

People used to calculate on the basis of 1/2 gallon of fresh water per person per day for a sailing voyage.......... before the era of the condo cat with huge watermakers generating 50 gallons per hour. Salt water will serve for most non human consumption needs. In addition most sailors carry a lot of canned goods, which always have a great deal of water, though often lightly salted. A fresh water shower once in awhile is nice, but hopefully you get some rain, otherwise a sponge bath with fresh water will do the job of getting the salt off.
Here is an interesting recycling shower system by Orbital Systems. https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-1000-per-year.. Watermakers do a good job of making water, so it's probably redundant....... I'd rather have the watermaker.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30   #79

Boat: Rafiki 37

I installed a flow meter last season, so I now know fairly exactly how much water we use.

The two of us use 2 gallons per day (1 gallon per person per day) for normal cruising; full time living aboard. This is with no real effort to economize, except we use rain water to shower, and use salt water for basic dish washing (with fresh water spritz). When we use the tank to shower and wash dishes this average goes up to about 3.5 gallons per day.

We carry 200 gallons, so can go 100 days under normal cruising conditions, or 57 days if we shower with the tank. If we had to economize it wouldn’t be hard to double those numbers.

All this is to say, I have never (yet) had a need to jerry can water. No water maker on board, just a big tank and being conscious of usage.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:56   #80
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The two of us use 2 gallons per day (1 gallon per person per day) for normal cruising; full time living aboard. This is with no real effort to economize, except we use rain water to shower, and use salt water for basic dish washing (with fresh water spritz). When we use the tank to shower and wash dishes this average goes up to about 3.5 gallons per day.

These are very low numbers. The two of us use about four gallons per day if we are careful with consumption, don't shower with fresh water and do the dishes with salt water. One gallon of water per day is about the amount that i need to drink in the tropics just to stay hydrated.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
These are very low numbers. The two of us use about four gallons per day if we are careful with consumption, don't shower with fresh water and do the dishes with salt water. One gallon of water per day is about the amount that i need to drink in the tropics just to stay hydrated.
They don’t feel like very low rates. Like I said, we don’t take any special precautions to do this. We’re just conscious of our usage, and try not to waste water.

But location definitely matters. I’m in Newfoundland. Not usually very hot here — although we did have a couple of week of record breaking heat and humidity last season!

One other factor might also be our head. We have a composting head, so no water usage there either. If you’re using fresh water in the loo it would certainly add up.

Be that as it may, we take no real effort to conserve water. We simply use it frugally. I’ve never been sure how much we actually use until last season when I installed a quality flow meter. I was pleasantly surprised at our usage rates.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:17   #82

Boat: Seafarer36c

We're right in between, we use 3 gal per day. We also do the dishes in drinking water. We didn't use any more when we had a POS Pur 40 either. It's easier now that we stay near the jungle with all the Lluvia and a catchment set-up. I still need to haul jugs sometimes but just one at a time, a short distance. I'm usually good for 2 jugs per day. It's the getting a jug onto the boat that's iffy. I sometimes try and toss jugs into the cockpit from the dinghy rather than use the hoist. That's going to go wrong someday because I'm getting older and weaker, I need to be smarter.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 15:47   #83

Boat: Still building

Are we talking US gallons or UK gallons, as I believe they are different (US being lesser).

We should talk in litres as that's a 'universal' and unmistakeable measure.

When we do, it's usually 'rule of thumb' 4L/person/day: i.e. slightly less than the 4.5L in a UK gallon. I think a US gallon is about 3.7L from memory....

As to the veracity of MikeReilly's figures, I can confirm this is possible, without showering, in normal 'home' life, never mind on a boat.

After showering, flushing toilets use the most water. Think about it. One shower per day of 3 mins @ 7L/min = 21L.

Flush loo 5 times/day @ 4L/flush (modern low flush) = 20L.

We should all be sponge-bathing and using composting toilets. Even at home!

Once the carbon dioxide issue has been solved/agreed/acted on, the new issue will become water - and ways to save it.

Sailors could teach the rest of the world a thing or two about conserving water.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 16:49   #84

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

With all respect and without judgement, I'm cruising, not camping! Over the past 24 years, we've learned that we average 18 gallons (68.137412 liters, as a nod to the rest of the world) per day water use between the two of us. With 180 gallon tanks, that gives us 10 days between fills. I consider that acceptable for our coastal/Caribbean cruising. We have a watermaker that will yield >30 gph when we need it as well as a 60 gallon bladder that fits in the dinghy to ferry water from shore (we rarely use marinas). Our toilets are salt water flush. Dish washing is a fairly high consumer as we like to cook/eat well and that generates dishes that we want clean to avoid intestinal distress. I respect those who get by with less water use. Good on you. I could probably get by with less rum use, but so far, that's not a choice I want/have to make!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 17:04   #85

Yes, US gallons. My boat was US-made, so everything is in that funny measuring system .

Like I said, we don’t do anything special to conserve water while on board — we’re not, as others say “camping”. We just don’t waste much. So we use just shy of 4 litres per person per day when we’re able to use sea water for basic cleaning and rainwater for showers. This includes all the drinking and cooking, along with other miscellaneous uses.

Sponge bath daily, and cockpit shower using rain water on occasion. Our shower is a 13 litre (3.5 gallon) converted bug sprayer. We’re easily able to both shower with one full tank.

Composting head takes no water, so that’s easy.

When we can’t use sea water for dishes, and can’t collect rainwater for showers, our average usage almost doubles.
Old 04-12-2018, 18:51   #86

Boat: Passport 40

6 pages so far of "Why don't we all use yokes"

I love Cruisers Forum.
Old 04-12-2018, 18:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleach View Post

6 pages so far of "Why don't we all use yokes"

I love Cruisers Forum.
Eh, it’s winter for a lot of us. Too many of us are bored .
Old 04-12-2018, 18:54   #88

Boat: Passport 40

Yeah, well....we can all stand down.

Lehman's website says they are all out of them. Some of us clearly followed that link and did a little shopping.
Old 04-12-2018, 19:55   #89

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Our toilets are salt water flush.

Any complaints with odor?
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 21:38   #90

Quote: "We should all be sponge-bathing...'

Quite so! But the proper seamanlike term for a sponge bath is a "Liverpool bath". Wonder how that came about, eh :-)?

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote