Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 06:37   #1

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322
Do you take the labels off your cans?

I'll be stocking up for travel to points south in June. Do you take the labels off your cans when provisioning?
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 06:51   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Do you take the labels off your cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReedatsea View Post
I'll be stocking up for travel to points south in June. Do you take the labels off your cans when provisioning?
Terry-- That was a practice that was common when canned provisions were stored in the bilges and subject to wet. The idea was that the can lids needed be labeled as to the contents with indelible ink and labels themselves removed as they would eventually come loose anyway and could easily obstruct a bilge pump. In the "old days" on a long trip we went so far as to dip our canned goods in melted paraffin to ensure the cans were protected from moisture. Whether removing labels is necessary today depends upon where the cans are stored. Note, however, that, at least on our boat, we carry few food items in cans any longer and those we do are stored in lockers or, if in the bilge area, in sealed Tupperware containers.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 06:53   #3

Definitely not. The labels stay on and last years. My boat is also dry inside, so ymmv.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:01   #4

Hylyte nailed it..cans used to stored in the bilge, new boats no longer have deep bilges so leave the labels on.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:18   #5

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

If you think they might get wet or somehow lose the labels, etch the date and the contents on the ends with a dremel. Stills Reads even if rusty
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:23   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

No. It's not needed.
Oh, and the old idea of painting eggs with wax etc is a load of old cobblers unless you are doing over 30 day passages. Mine are fine for a month in the tropics unreferigerated.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:32   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

If you assume the cans can get moist at any point, remove any paper labels and mark the cans with quality permanent marker.

If your can storage is perfectly dry, no reason to remove the labels. IMHO

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:32   #8

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

When I first saw the message topic, I had to scratch my head as to why would anyone want to remove the label - yes, I am a newbie to sailing. So my thanks to svHyLyte for explaining the reason for the practice of removing labels.
Frank.
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:36   #9

Boat: Boatless

We did make our kids (VERY young at the time) write the contents of each can on the lids with a sharpie.

Kept them busy labeling and sorting and made it easier when looking down into a locker (settee) to see what was what.

Good job to keep husband out of your hair for a day if no rugrats around :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:37   #10

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

Thanks for the input! I was under the assumption that labels were removed because bugs (cockroaches?) would lay eggs in the label glue. Not sure where I heard that. I also thought you needed to coat eggs with Vaseline or wax to preserve them un-refrigerated.
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:40   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Another point: labels are not paper anymore like the old days... they are often plastic film or plastic coated paper.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:44   #12

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Agree with others that is NOT necessary or advisable to remove labels from cans but would label tops with contents & date just in case a label falls off. In 1999 New Zealand would toss any cans without labels since they couldn't be sure what was inside. Don't know if still do that. Fortunately
for us they didn't find the 6 cases of Brinkman's meats without labels scattered around the boat although they did toss meatballs in tomato sauce on the stove that was warming for lunch.

Bruce
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:45   #13

What about the idea of keeping possible bugs out of the boat that may lay eggs between the label and can?

My thought would be it may depend on the area if the world your provisioning from. I'd also be a bit worried about dried goods like rice/wheat.
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReedatsea View Post
Thanks for the input! I was under the assumption that labels were removed because bugs (cockroaches?) would lay eggs in the label glue. Not sure where I heard that. I also thought you needed to coat eggs with Vaseline or wax to preserve them un-refrigerated.
Avoid cardboard containers from third world countries, thats where you can get bugs. Also be very careful of fresh fruits and vegetables in 3rd world countries, rinse them carefully to remove critters. The key to making eggs last is if possible buy them before they have been cleaned as the chicken naturally has a protective coating that air doesnt penetrate. You can only get these direct from farmers. The most important thing is make sure they are dry and turn the egg crates once every couple of days. The other little trick is to have a glass of water when you are baking or cooking and set the egg in the water, if it sinks the egg is good, if it floats, throw it out.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:59   #15

Further to MarkJ's comment above: "Another point: labels are not paper anymore like the old days... they are often plastic film or plastic coated paper." it appears that a plastic film is also commonly applied to the interior of modern cans. How does one dispose of empty cans these days? It sounds that heaving them overboard is no longer feasible.
sk Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote