Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 13:05   #1

Do You Ever Hunt Whilst Sailing

I've been a lurker for a while, but I figured I would make an account finally and ask a question I haven't seen asked anywhere (although perhaps I simply haven't looked hard enough). Do you ever hunt whilst sailing, either cruising or daysailing? I've seen various critters on the shore while gliding by, and it often seemed to me that they could be turned into dinner when sailing past uninhabited areas. Have you ever hunted in the area around an anchorage?
edvol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:13   #2

Re: Do you ever hunt whilst sailing

We fish.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:19   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

No. Then again, I don't hunt period. For those who do, I suspect that declaring your rifles/bows/ammunitioin and arranging for hunting licenses in other jurisdictions would raise the cost in dollars, time and aggravation beyond what would make it worthwhile to any except those who are more passionate about hunting than boating.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:43   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
No. Then again, I don't hunt period. For those who do, I suspect that declaring your rifles/bows/ammunitioin and arranging for hunting licenses in other jurisdictions would raise the cost in dollars, time and aggravation beyond what would make it worthwhile to any except those who are more passionate about hunting than boating.

Brad
Well that sounds more like an opinion regarding hunting vs. boating. The OP didn't mention anything about "jurisdictions" and in fact *did* mention day-sailing, which I would take to mean locally. Recovery will be the biggest challenge. If while cruising, I'd arrange to hunt while the boat is moored/anchored/docked. That way you can make arrangements for check-in (if required), transportation, processing, etc. Personally, I think the biggest challenge is freezer space! But then I'm sure you'll likely find some fellow sailors who would take some of your harvest. Issues regarding declaring hunting arms is best left to another (likely closed) thread.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We cooked and enjoyed a rattlesnake once that we came across while ashore. 'no real weapons envolved and not much in the way of a hunt.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:50   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

In most states it's illegal to hunt from a boat with exceptions of duck hunting. But you would not, for example, be able to shoot deer from a boat on the water, just as you would not be allowed to shoot deer from a car.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:54   #7

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

The only land creature we "hunt" are land crabs. Yummmmm!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:10   #8

Re: Do You Ever Hunt Whilst Sailing

Well edvol44, from your use of "whilst" I assume you are a Brit so I know you can use a shotgun to hunt wildfowl from a boat in the UK. In the US it's different. The boat cannot be underway by engine or sails when you shoot. That means in reality you have to have some kind of a duck boat along. You could use a small inflatable camo dingy, or whatever, as your tender and then use it for hunting. The real problem comes when you have to pluck, clean and cook your duck in a boat. You'll wish you'd never went hunting.
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:25   #9

You'd have to be very certain of the status of the land you were shooting at too. Is it private land, national park etc? Usually easy enough to work out from the land side, but not always so easy from a boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:42   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
Well edvol44, from your use of "whilst" I assume you are a Brit so I know you can use a shotgun to hunt wildfowl from a boat in the UK. In the US it's different. The boat cannot be underway by engine or sails when you shoot. That means in reality you have to have some kind of a duck boat along. You could use a small inflatable camo dingy, or whatever, as your tender and then use it for hunting. The real problem comes when you have to pluck, clean and cook your duck in a boat. You'll wish you'd never went hunting.
I had not thought about water fowl. That might not be too bad. A little camo for the tender and roast duck for dinner. Pluck and clean ashore for shore.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:55   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've never been much of a supporter of trophy hunting but grew up hunting for food every fall along with a couple of other families on the BC coast. My grandkids asked me once if I ever hunted for dinosoars... got to be a meesage there! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:55   #12

When Hunting ducks. You need about 25 feet of string, bread and an old style wooden rat trap. Tie string to rat trap bait trap with bread, float trap near boat and throw more bread on the water around trap and watch and wait.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:55   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Well that sounds more like an opinion regarding hunting vs. boating. The OP didn't mention anything about "jurisdictions" and in fact *did* mention day-sailing, which I would take to mean locally. Recovery will be the biggest challenge. If while cruising, I'd arrange to hunt while the boat is moored/anchored/docked. That way you can make arrangements for check-in (if required), transportation, processing, etc. Personally, I think the biggest challenge is freezer space! But then I'm sure you'll likely find some fellow sailors who would take some of your harvest. Issues regarding declaring hunting arms is best left to another (likely closed) thread.
While Southern Star does seem to have a specific opinion about hunting, the issues that he raised about jurisdictions and rules are a valid response given that the OP's question seemed open ended enough to include the why or why not of an answer. The OP's question did indicate 'cruising or daysailing'.

You also seem to have a specific opinion about this topic or perhaps the related topic of guns on boats and seem a might bit touchy about any real or perceived criticism of that opinion.

As it happens I have been hunting (not from a boat), expect to do so again in the future, and enjoy shooting firearms though I do not have any of my own.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:06   #14

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

I like the idea, but game laws aside, the act of hunting from a sailboat is a difficult one at best.

First, very poor sight lines. Booms, shrouds, gallows, lifelines, rails, sails, etc., all get in the way of a clean shot.

Second, trying to shoot anything from a moving boat is very much like trying to shoot something from a running horse. Hollywood makes it look easy, but unless you are as good as the real life Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley, your chances of actually hitting anything -or at least hitting anything you aim at- are pretty low. I have tried shooting from boats moving and moored. Even on moored boats there is a LOT more movement that you might expect in all dimensions, so again, your accuracy will be low.

I prefer to kill game clean with one shot. It is just good hunting ethic. So if there were game ashore and it was leagal to shoot it, why not just go ashore and despatch your quarry with more certainty and accuracy?

Generally with boating, the best game lies beneath the waves. Get a snorkel and a spear gun, be mindful of local game laws and have a great harvest! In the right area, all you need is a clam rake and boots!

Cheers,

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:08   #15

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Shot a Dorado off the stern with a 410 shotgun once !!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing