Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-12-2012, 19:02   #31

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Re: Do You Ever Hunt Whilst Sailing

My 13 yo son is really into shooting clays right now and wants to go duck hunting. I think we'll use the boat as a base and take the dink to a blind out in the sound. Might have to wait til next winter tho....

Old 11-12-2012, 19:09   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
My 13 yo son is really into shooting clays right now and wants to go duck hunting. I think we'll use the boat as a base and take the dink to a blind out in the sound. Might have to wait til next winter tho....
For a couple of years I lived aboard on an end-tie directly across from a launch ramp. Lot's of duck hunters this time of year.

I'll never forget the foursome who were totally decked out in camo, even down to their dog's life jacket, who went out in a brand-new pure-white ultra-glossy Bayliner to shoot ducks.

Thank the gods that ducks aren't that stupid!

Anyway, you may want a camo blanket to toss over your dink once you're in the blind.

Old 11-12-2012, 19:12   #33

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I had not thought about water fowl. That might not be too bad. A little camo for the tender and roast duck for dinner. Pluck and clean ashore for shore.
I DO hunt. Ducks, turkey, goose, deer, upland birds, rabbits & ground hog. Rabbits and ground hog makes a great pot pie. Ducks are the most tempting from boat but as was noted above, In the US the vessel may not be under any power. You can be drifting with current or wind. You must have a local (state) license and a Federal duck stamp. The season must be open and the area not otherwise restricted so you need the regulations. Shooting from your yacht will get you in trouble in most US states. If you think the locals are tough about zero discharge, try pissing one off with a gun.

Wild ducks make very poor roasts. There is too little fat and too little meat. The legs are tiny, barely able to support a walking duck so they burn. The only meat of substance is the breast. We pluck only the center of the breast, split with a very sharp knife. I use a scalpel. Fillet off only the breast being careful to get left and right in two neat whole pieces. The meat is red like beef and extremely lean. You can look up wild duck recipes but my favorite and very easy is to prepare like pepper steak. Butter both sides. Grind black pepper to fully cover both sides. Pan fry in butter, leaving the center pink to red. The pepper tuns a nutty flavor.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:44   #34

Most of my sailing has been done in smaller boats with a 3' draft, but I was thinking in particular of sailing in the less populated parts of canada or alaska where the water is deep right off the coast and hunting there where you can be almost certain of not seeing any people. I took a canoe down the hess river in the yukon territory and I sorely wished I had something to hunt with there, bear defense considerations aside. I got hungry...

Also if anyone ever went out on hunting excursions while at anchor in an unpopulated area, or bow hunting in a more than uninhabited area.

I have hunted from a small dinghy sailboat on colorado alpine lakes. There's no current and no chop or anything so when you drop the sail the boat is as motionless as you are. I highly reccommend high alpine sailing, it is great fun and is an oft overlooked activity. Lake Dillon comes to mind in particular, if you're ever in that neck of the woods. I would love to sail on Lake Titicaca!

Also, for the guy who thought I was a brit, I am a southerner, just one of those rarely seen or mentioned literate ones. I'll take it as a compliment I guess. I'm not sure why I used "whilst" exactly rather than "while". In your defense I am a bit odd...

edit: also for ducks, make duck pot pie!
Old 11-12-2012, 20:31   #35

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Shot a Dorado off the stern with a 410 shotgun once !!
Was he trying to steal your outboard?
Old 11-12-2012, 20:33   #36

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Hmmm. He said, "I've seen various critters on the shore while gliding by, and it often seemed to me that they could be turned into dinner when sailing past uninhabited areas."
Well I interpreted that to mean that he planning to get off the boat and go after the game, but it turns out I was wrong - I think he really is interested in shooting from the boat.

Alaska! Now there's a cruising destination we don't hear about often.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:03   #37

Boat: Fortune 30
Until a few years ago in Alaska, you could shoot from the boat as long as any forward motion from engine use was gone. I always wondered how they would treat sail power. However, with a couple of exceptions, that's not allowed anymore. I usually either anchor and take a dinghy to shore, or send friends to shore and reach back and forth along the coast or heave to spotting for them and communicating via VHF. Since it's winter for hunting around here, the meat will stay just fine hanging from the rigging for a day or two before being fully butchered and frozen.

Edit: I should mention that I generally go for deer, and it's in southeast Alaska. I could hunt bear as well, but would probably need a bigger dinghy to get it back to the boat. And, I do live in the area, so gun laws and hunting license are not issues.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:21   #38

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Well I interpreted that to mean that he planning to get off the boat and go after the game, but it turns out I was wrong - I think he really is interested in shooting from the boat.

Alaska! Now there's a cruising destination we don't hear about often.
Ok now wait - I might have misinterpreted again - I'm not really sure what he meant by "bow" hunting..
Old 11-12-2012, 21:54   #39

I know a couple of guys in Nelson, NZ, who have powerboats, they'll drop anchor offshore where they have seen deer come down to the shore and just wait. Others I know take canoes/kayaks down the Whanganui river to Wanganui and pot goats on the shores.

I know one guy who had a ferro yacht at Kawhia harbour who potted a few deer from on board while sailing Fiordland.

In NZ there is no season on deer, pigs or goats. With the exception of Sambar. so if you see it, it's on what the map says is public land, you can shoot it.
Old 11-12-2012, 23:28   #40

both/and/or getting off boat or staying in it.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: