Well done Steamgoat!

Old 11-12-2012, 16:31   #17
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Do You Ever Hunt Whilst Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
I prefer to kill game clean with one shot. It is just good hunting ethic. So if there were game ashore and it was leagal to shoot it, why not just go ashore and despatch your quarry with more certainty and accuracy?
I lived in Arizona for a few years, and it was a big deal out there to try to limit out on bass and quail on the same day. Lot's of folk went out with both rods and shotguns in their boats, but you had to beach the boat and walk when shifting from fishing to hunting.

Old 11-12-2012, 16:41   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
My grandkids asked me once if I ever hunted for dinosoars... got to be a meesage there! Phil
Well....did you?
Old 11-12-2012, 16:55   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
Well in days past I saw what I thought were stray cows off Cuttyhunk. I think they were well enough in the water so I had jurisdictional rights. Looked like 4 legged hamburgers. Just couldn't shoot one, though I hate cows. So I decided to milk one. No worries here,I know how cause I worked a dairy farm for a few days. Which is why I considered shooting one in the first place..
You can tell a dairy cow cause they see me and start eating grass and although full and in pain they keep eating. They are building up intense gastric pressure.
I slipped one up between some scrub growth reached and grabbed the first teet and turned forward expecting Henri Lloyd too get a full cow plop but nothing. So I knew I was in luck the first well behaved cow. Jug in hand I went to woirk. Near 3/4 gallon I think when the cow beast went alien. Kicked full up in the hinds and let the fermenting grass go. Trashing Henri Lloyd, my once good looks the jug and any thought of eating or dairy drinking dairy.
Today I buy huge amounts of milk and consume burgers knowing somewhere in that mix is that beasts family. Guess that wants of real hunting.
To many years past to prosecute. Though I think I still have a case.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:24   #20

Boat: Outremer 50S

At one time or another we have carried a 0.22 rifle aboard and used that for hunting on various islands. Wild (feral really) pigs and deer. As mentioned, not a lot of room in the fridge. Set up a camp kitchen and canned most of it. Rendered down fat for soap and other uses. In all cases it was something shared with locals, and done with permission (although possibly not official government sanction).

I suspect this is harder and harder as the world gets more "civilized", but still possible in some places. The hard part is using the entire animal, you really need to make sure you have the supplies available to freeze, can, dry or whatever else. And unless the place is uninhabited, best to get local permission even if it isn't a formal permit.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:24   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

i know quite a number of captains who drop their hook at each and every convenient port and slip ashore to hunt local wildlife -- some succeed but most come home empty handed and the wallet is a bit lighter from all the ammo they bought

then some jubilantly brought their trophy back their boat only to find it had disappeared in dawns early light with a few of the the captains prize possessions

just a bit of humor
chuck patty and soulmates
still in trini
Old 11-12-2012, 17:26   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I've seen some guys out on a jonboat on the Chesapeake bowfishing for cownose rays. It was pretty amazing to see them sight in and shoot at a patch of water, which would then burst into a frenzy as they hauled the ray in. They said they like to deep fry 'em.

Off Provincetown I found myself sailing through a school of leaping 3-foot tuna, and wished I had a bowfishing rig myself. . . .
Old 11-12-2012, 17:54   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

A little blue water hunting.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:00   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks for that, Astrid... (I think!) Phil
Old 11-12-2012, 18:18   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Many years ago I was lucky enough to get a Permit to crab fish an area in Alaska that had been closed for ever! The fishing was great in this place Called Yakatat! but a hambuger was over 6 bucks with no chips or anything! and this was the late 50s early 60s!! So we did eat a little deer meat, and bunchs of oysters! and traded crab for salmon and shrimp ! We eneded up eating real good that winter !! But except for a feral hog or two Ive not hunted anything but fish off the boat since !! Things have changed a bunch since then ! They would probly throw away the key if ya did something like that now !! LOL
Old 11-12-2012, 18:46   #26

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Funny responses you're getting here.

First, I'm not sure the OP really intended to shoot a deer from a moving boat. I suspect the question was more about obtaining wild game to eat - a novel idea I haven't seen, and perhaps a good way to supplement the diet and the wallet while cruising.

Coastal land and islands in the US are either private or protected to my knowledge, and I assume the same is likely true of Europe, Asia, Australia, et al.

Additionally, it is a huge hassle and often completely illegal to carry weapons into foreign ports.

These last two facts (if they are facts) point out that hunting whilst cruising is probably not practical, or at least hugely impractical or inconvenient, as was previously pointed out.

I suspect (to be confirmed by our ocean cruising friends) that most islands that contain game also likely contain people, and therefore should not be hunted by an outsider except by permission (and probably at the cost of a fee)

But I do like the idea - always interested in self-sufficiency concepts, and the OP is right - this one seems to be a new one.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:47   #27
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Not while sailing, but while log towing in BC in the 80’s we used to regularly shoot deer in an area called ‘The Jungles’

Narrow channels and you are almost scraping the shore working back-eddies
Crew waits near aft end of Tow (bundles of cedar) deer nibbling on kelp. Easy Kill.
Then skiff picks up deer and we butcher on logs for freezer and steaks.

We did sometimes get a few funny looks at the dumping grounds when a new millworker would see all the blood on the logs
Old 11-12-2012, 18:54   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Do you ever hunt whilst sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
While Southern Star does seem to have a specific opinion about hunting, the issues that he raised about jurisdictions and rules are a valid response given that the OP's question seemed open ended enough to include the why or why not of an answer. The OP's question did indicate 'cruising or daysailing'.

You also seem to have a specific opinion about this topic or perhaps the related topic of guns on boats and seem a might bit touchy about any real or perceived criticism of that opinion.

As it happens I have been hunting (not from a boat), expect to do so again in the future, and enjoy shooting firearms though I do not have any of my own.
Perhaps you're right regarding the cruising part. I think I was not clear regarding the discussion of guns on boats. What I meant was that I don't think that discussion has any merit or place in this forum. It's already been beat to death, and to never any avail. Good luck on your next hunting outing.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:00   #29
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
First, I'm not sure the OP really intended to shoot a deer from a moving boat.
Hmmm. He said, "I've seen various critters on the shore while gliding by, and it often seemed to me that they could be turned into dinner when sailing past uninhabited areas."

I guess it all depends upon what sort of boat the OP is "gliding by" in. He doesn't specify. If he's in a canoe, he may indeed be getting close enough to shore to shoot rabbits. If he's in boat that draws 7' or more, chances of him seeing "various critters" much smaller than a deer are fairly negligible, at least if he's coastal cruising.

Of course, I've answered from the perspective of my home waters. The West Coast USA is one honking-big lee shore. We tend not to get close enough even to see deer. I'm guessing he's wanting to hunt somewhere else.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:01   #30

Boat: Catalina 30

I knew a fellow that got arrested for shooting a swimming deer in the St.Johns river while in a john boat. Warden just happened to be nearby and came up on them as he was drowning the poor thing to finish it off. He had to appear in court and was fined.

On an unrelated note this same fellow had a horse that died on his farm. He dug out a hole with his front end loader that was barely deep enough for the horse. Rolled the poor beast in and covered him up. A few days later rigor set, guy woke up to the sight of four legs sticking out of the ground like the were sprouting. Instead of digging up and burring the horse deeper he dug down a little and cut the legs off with a chain saw.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: