Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 19:21   #121
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You can think less of them, but you would have to think less of a lot more folks back then as well. It was just the way it was then. I sailed on many boats during the 70's and they all bagged and sank. No holding tanks either, pump it straight out, even at anchor, in a bay, and nobody ever complained, or even thought of complaining, because they were doing exactly the same thing. Wasn't it just great to be able to enjoy yourselves back then?

You cannot apply retro retributions for doing what was the norm then because the rules have changed now.

Coops.
I would assume in 40 years people learn things. I've learned a lot since the 70's. Of course I was only alive for 2 1/2 months of them. Seriously, we seem to get upset at people who change their views and I've never understood that. I sure view things a lot differently than I did 20-25 years ago and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened. I hope to continue to learn, change and grow the next 20 years.
__________________

__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 20:18   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would assume in 40 years people learn things. I've learned a lot since the 70's. Of course I was only alive for 2 1/2 months of them. Seriously, we seem to get upset at people who change their views and I've never understood that. I sure view things a lot differently than I did 20-25 years ago and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened. I hope to continue to learn, change and grow the next 20 years.
I suppose one could look at it that way.

Another way to look at it is if it takes someone 40 yrs to learn something, that's the very definition of a slow learner. Yes, I do agree that we all get wiser as we get older, but the vast majority of things (especially critical thinking skills) should be learned early on in life, the sooner the better, for them and everyone around them.

As I told my ex-wife, 52 yrs old is a little late to learn that having checks in the checkbook doesn't mean you still have funds in the bank. It sure caused us a lot of grief until I eliminated the problem.
__________________

__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 20:28   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I suppose one could look at it that way.

Another way to look at it is if it takes someone 40 yrs to learn something, that's the very definition of a slow learner. Yes, I do agree that we all get wiser as we get older, but the vast majority of things (especially critical thinking skills) should be learned early on in life, the sooner the better, for them and everyone around them.

As I told my ex-wife, 52 yrs old is a little late to learn that having checks in the checkbook doesn't mean you still have funds in the bank. It sure caused us a lot of grief until I eliminated the problem.
Well, I don't agree with your conclusions. And in now way does being a lifetime learner mean a slow learner. It means one can always expand their knowledge, learn new things. And honestly some topics and areas of learning today didn't even exist 40 years ago. Knowledge is always expanding for the universe and for us as individuals.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 16:21   #124
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

An interesting thread. I'll add a couple of cents worth.

I live in Tasmania, at the bottom of Australia. Two years ago when there was a seafood poisoning scare, our marine authority obtained advice and then announced that under our current environmental laws the discharge of boats waste tanks, e.g black water, anywhere into the States Water ways is an offence. Now this was a shock to everyone because, firstly no one knew this and secondly most sail vessels and recreational vessels don't have holding tanks. There are no requirements to have them in Tasmania and there is only one area that discharging anywhere in the bay was known to be a Parks offence.

Now, the problem with this suddenly being announced, is that not only do few vessels have holding tanks in Tasmania, but even if you have one, like I do, then there is only one place in Tasmania that is commonly known about where there is a dockside pump out and that's in the South. Because I forecast the need for a holding tank I have rebuilt my head with a holding tank, but I only have a 25 ltre tank which means I need to discharge over board every couple of days. Up along the East Coast of Australia and even in the Whitsunday's where there is pristine cruising, there are legal discharge locations usually about 4 miles off as long as you have a maccerator in your head. But not so in Tasmania. So, in Tasmania at this current time, just about everyone who has a head on a small vessel is breaking the law. Thankfully, our Marine Authority recognises this and is working towards fixing the problem, thought they are still making it clear it's 'illegal' and that's that.

When I go sailing, I bring back everything I can't put down the head with the exception of vegetable peelings and food scraps which I admittantly throw overboard. I'm not sure of the legality of this though. But, my sailing trips so far have been three weeks sailing at most. That usually results in two to three half full garbage bags of rubbish.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:23   #125
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 4,339
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You cannot apply retro retributions for doing what was the norm then because the rules have changed now.

Coops.
I'm guessing you are not familiar with CERLA. Whether the practice was legal, now or at the time, is not relavant. You are responsible for the situation, as it is.

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:27   #126
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm guessing you are not familiar with CERLA. Whether the practice was legal, now or at the time, is not relavant. You are responsible for the situation, as it is.
How does CERCLA apply beyond the 12 mile limit? It's US law.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:42   #127
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Not only not familiar, never heard of it. Guess that being in Australia is a good enough reason for that.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:35   #128
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm guessing you are not familiar with CERLA. Whether the practice was legal, now or at the time, is not relavant. You are responsible for the situation, as it is.

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ya gotta start thinking outside of your little box...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:18   #129
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,426
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

This whole discussion is silly. There is zero chance of enforcement whilst 600 miles out to sea. Is a navy boat going to "pull me over" to check to make sure my farts are collected? This is another example of growing bureaucracy through arbitrary measures at a great cost to the tax payers .


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:28   #130
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,894
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would assume in 40 years people learn things. I've learned a lot since the 70's. Of course I was only alive for 2 1/2 months of them. Seriously, we seem to get upset at people who change their views and I've never understood that. I sure view things a lot differently than I did 20-25 years ago and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened. I hope to continue to learn, change and grow the next 20 years.
There is a big difference between learning and caring.

If you don't care....then what you primarily tend to learn is how to rationalize your polluting practices...
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:45   #131
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

long thread about what is just a common sense thing, if you can not decide what type of trash you can toss in the water you have bigger problems
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:59   #132
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,974
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I put a message in a bottle once. It said, "Save the planet! Quit being a litterbug"

I just wanna know if you all are moral enough to be sailors after being litterbugs...
Were you in group W too? Man what a day that was.
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 09:03   #133
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 570
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Heck, we dump chemical weapons in the ocean.
Errr...no.
__________________
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 09:04   #134
Marine Service Provider
 
Tony B's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Presently in Rogersville, Al
Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Posts: 695
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

So my take on this thread is
1) it's ok to dump because there is no other choice
2) It's Ok to dump because big industry does
3) it's OK to dump because municipalities do.
4) Glass and cans miraculously disappear over time without a trace
5) Burning on land is worse than dumping in the ocean
6) Land fills are just as bad as dumping in the ocean
7) I can dump if I want to because everyone else does
8) I live on my sailboat so I make a smaller environmental impact than most and
so therefore, I can trash out and still be ahead of the game.
9) I don't have to make any excuses to my grandchildren for spoiling
the environment because my stuff cant be seen or found on the bottom
of the oceans.

Oh well, I'm not in the mood to go on any further.
__________________
Mainship 36 DC - 1986
Retired and Full Time Cruising the Eastern U.S. inland Waterways
www.FreeBoatProjects.com
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 09:43   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas, USA
Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Posts: 239
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Banana peels? Seriously? Next you guys are gonna start saying I need to bag my farts.
You should start saving your fart gas in bags. It's good for you.
__________________

__________________
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best system to do most of wind/solar/alternator/shore to house/starting/dump + more bene505 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 19 19-05-2014 08:46
It's Never Over Until You Say It's Over maxingout General Sailing Forum 12 16-03-2009 17:32
Where do you dump your excess electricity? bene505 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 13 29-01-2009 12:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.