Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 10:39   #16

Re: Do you dry food while underway?

we cut ours in long thin strips prior to brining. (brown sugar, salt, soy sauce) Left it to dry on wire racks (like cooling cookies) It beomes at least as tough to chew as beef jerky... you would think it would just crumble, but it doesnt...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:13   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Things that I have had no problem with drying in Wyoming have been a real problem in Texas. Hell in Guatemala our mainsail mildewed for the first time ever and that's not even a food product.
Yes, humidity ranges from 85-100% here on the Rio so very easy to grow mold and mushrooms -- a constant battle on boats.

The locals do dry foods in the highlands (cooler more stable temp ranges and lower humidity).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:59   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I can't help on drying veggies but Ive dryed fish as the above folks did But Ive carried a small aluminum smoker for yrs ! They are cheap and anytime you have power you can smoke fish meat saugage ect ! we mostly in the past 20 yrs or so have had a genny of one type or another and have used the smoker at sea to smoke fresh caught fish !! Tasty !
Old 15-03-2012, 17:43   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
I use an Excalibur dehydrator, the small one, a seal a meal bag sealer and my blender.
This is the style I've been considering when we move aboard. Do you like the small size, or would you consider a larger version?
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 07:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly

This is the style I've been considering when we move aboard. Do you like the small size, or would you consider a larger version?
If you have the room and the amps, the larger ones are nicer for quantities. Do get the Teflon sheets for fruit rollups, soups, etc. figure a serving per tray in yield. They also put humidity and heat in the air so you may want to dry in the cockpit. There are also a lot of raw food recipes where they use the unit like an oven to keep temps below 120 to preserve enzymes for fresh foods. I usually cook a big meal and preserve additional meals for offshore. I have a vacuum sealer (Costco) for that. Also check out the Mormons for recipes, sources and preservation techniques, they have been preserving for years as part of their religion.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 08:36   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
If you have the room and the amps, the larger ones are nicer for quantities. Do get the Teflon sheets for fruit rollups, soups, etc. figure a serving per tray in yield. They also put humidity and heat in the air so you may want to dry in the cockpit. There are also a lot of raw food recipes where they use the unit like an oven to keep temps below 120 to preserve enzymes for fresh foods. I usually cook a big meal and preserve additional meals for offshore. I have a vacuum sealer (Costco) for that. Also check out the Mormons for recipes, sources and preservation techniques, they have been preserving for years as part of their religion.
Thanks flagorio. Good advice .
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 08:45   #22
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I also have the excalber large one- you can dial any temp you like,but best if its below 115%- great Product!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food