Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 05:26   #61

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Do You Drink Tank Water !?

Most bottled water, unless it specifically says spring water on it is filtered city water. And I can't remember who did the test but it was found in some bottled water to have more bacteria. and there's another measurement "parts per million" that some of the bottles had more than the city water. Not trying to be negative just helpfull in not wasting money. Edit. Okay had to google it if you want to continue drinking bottled water I advise that you don't do the same thing. One study showed one third of all bottled water tested over a four year period was contaminated
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 14:32   #62

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Most bottled water, unless it specifically says spring water on it is filtered city water. And I can't remember who did the test but it was found in some bottled water to have more bacteria. and there's another measurement "parts per million" that some of the bottles had more than the city water. Not trying to be negative just helpfull in not wasting money. Edit. Okay had to google it if you want to continue drinking bottled water I advise that you don't do the same thing. One study showed one third of all bottled water tested over a four year period was contaminated
We know about bottled water. We don't like bottled spring water, not even Evian or Fiji. So that gives us bottled city water. Niagara just recalled all their spring water from their Pennsylvania facility today for E Coli risk. Taste is also at issue in many areas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 14:45   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We hardly ever drink bottled water. FWIW, I'm thinking that it is probably better for people's immune systems to stay tuned up against invaders, so I'd have to stay with your own tank water, it's the only water of whose quality over which you have any control.

As to the question about "lifetime" of water in s/s tanks, I've drunk sterile, canned water that was over 20 yrs. old--discontinued from a life raft. Didn't taste way good, but wasn't horrible. I'd think the lifetime would depend on the access of contaminating agents, from "unclean" plumbing. If the poster is concerned, the Kenomac solution above would take care of it.

Ann
Old 22-06-2015, 15:08   #64

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Depends on what you grew up with. I grew up in an area with incredibly hard water (like you had to defur the kettle every few weeks hard) so I can stomach pretty much anything that tap water can throw at me. I've rarely suffered from any digestive problems due to tap water. I think the worst case of stomach illness actually came from a bottle of "mineral" water that wasn't what it claimed to be.

In most parts of the world the water we fill our tanks from is cleaned and sterilised so we should not be that worried about drinking from our taps if we have filled up a few days or so beforehand. if the water has been sitting in said tanks for any length of time then basic water hygiene rules should be implemented and you should at least boil it before use or run it through a microbial water filter. For brushing teeth I say use it as you generally don't swallow it so where's the harm.

We actually use a 2litre water jug that we fill from the tap on the marina quay for our drinking water and have never had any problems with stomach upsets. Once you have become used to the local water you don't have any problem. It's normally that initial change of water that upsets your digestive system but if you stick with the local stuff your guts get used to it.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:28   #65

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
How is your water pressure after all of that filtering?
The main taps in the gallery/head are only run through the main 5 micron filter so completely fine.

The drinking water one is noticeably worse however, having gone through the two additional filters. Still plenty good enough to fill up a glass of water in a few seconds.
Old 23-06-2015, 10:49   #66

Many wells have e coli in them. When tested there is an "acceptable level" It's not the kind that is really bad though and no one worries much about it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:59   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
What do you freeze the water in, as a container, I mean? Do you use plastic jugs? My wife and I have been discussing freezing several gallons to help the freezer stay cold. She's paranoid about something in the plastic leaching into the water.
We like to use empty plastic jugs that used to hold vinegar. The plastic is very thick and not easy to puncture like the thin walled milk/water jugs.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 21:07   #68

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax

I am totally new to the site....but hope I can offer a lil insite.
I haul potable water for a living (hope to retire next year to a livaboard in the virgin islands/peurto rico....well I get tested ever month by the state and only missed a test one time (took from a muddy sample point) I use poly tanks and for a regular maintenance I sanitize them every year. To sanitize a system I use a simple calculation right from the state of North Dakota.....for ever 1000 gallon...put in 1 gallon of Clorox bleach, not the scented kind. wait 24 hours....dump out and fill with fresh water. should be good to go. ..... glad to be a newby to the site.
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 19:18   #69

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

I have a Seagull IV water purification system that turns just about anything into fine tasteless water... Check out their website... Can't tell you how many plastic containers this has saved from the recycling load..

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:41   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Find room for a keg onboard. Wash the beer glasses with the tank water.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 14:32   #71

Do You Drink Tank Water !?

Though I have no proof, I did get sick on someone's tank water once. My adrenal glands don't work so I can become seriously ill from bad water.

Because of that experience we made certain our tank was clean and had a Water Fixer purifier for water we put in it. The Water Fixer kept me totally healthy through Mexico & back in LA.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 17:43   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Speaking of Water Fixer, I would like to post a thanks and recommendation for the service they offer.

Two years ago Water Fixer offered a deal to CF members and I purchased one for future installation.

Last month I pulled it out of the box to plan the plumbing and discovered I had a 120V AC model instead of the 12V DC. Not sure how it happened but when I went back and checked, all the emails from Water Fixer clearly showed 120V AC although I would have bet at least $1.00 that I ordered the 12V model.

So I gave a call to ask how to sort this out. I first checked out the system and it appeared that the UV module could easily be removed and I assumed replaced with a 12V version. Jesse at Water Fixer confirmed this and sent a replacement the same day. No questions, no charge, no requirement to pay for the replacement, just a request to send back the 120V module.

At the same time he answered a number of questions about the operation and made some recommendations for the long term care and feeding of the unit.

Aside from the great service the unit is robust and well made. If it works half as well as it looks I will be a happy customer.

Great company to do business with.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 19:07   #73

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Do You Drink Tank Water !?

We use our tank water for everything, but I use a SafeH2O filter system with UV. We put this system on over two years ago before we cruised to Florida for the winter from Kentucky Lake in 2013 -14. We had used tank water from our Home Marina for the previous 9 years with an annual commissioning using Peggy Hall's sterilization program. We have never had any problem with our water.

Since we were outside our home area on the cruise and using water from a variety of sources, we felt very comfortable with the SafeH2O system. We change out the filters and the UV light each spring. Cost about $54 per year for the two filters and the new UV light. We average 75 days on the boat when we are in our home area, so for less than $ 0.75 per day we have worry free water. If you are full time cruising, less than $.15 per day.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Speaking of Water Fixer, I would like to post a thanks and recommendation for the service they offer.

Two years ago Water Fixer offered a deal to CF members and I purchased one for future installation.

Last month I pulled it out of the box to plan the plumbing and discovered I had a 120V AC model instead of the 12V DC. Not sure how it happened but when I went back and checked, all the emails from Water Fixer clearly showed 120V AC although I would have bet at least $1.00 that I ordered the 12V model.

So I gave a call to ask how to sort this out. I first checked out the system and it appeared that the UV module could easily be removed and I assumed replaced with a 12V version. Jesse at Water Fixer confirmed this and sent a replacement the same day. No questions, no charge, no requirement to pay for the replacement, just a request to send back the 120V module.

At the same time he answered a number of questions about the operation and made some recommendations for the long term care and feeding of the unit.

Aside from the great service the unit is robust and well made. If it works half as well as it looks I will be a happy customer.

Great company to do business with.

I second that. We had great service and the company reps are so nice! We would give people water & they couldn't believe how clear it looked. With the corrugated and charcoal filters then the UV light, I felt safe drinking the water anywhere. Hope you enjoy it too!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 13:35   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I second that. We had great service and the company reps are so nice! We would give people water & they couldn't believe how clear it looked. With the corrugated and charcoal filters then the UV light, I felt safe drinking the water anywhere. Hope you enjoy it too!

Can't wait to get mine installed. Thinking about one for the house as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water