Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 13:28   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Alcohol, guns, anchors, tobacco and now religion (if you can call it that).

I think we're done here.
Nope not exactly. There must be something that a broker or surveyor did to cause the fish's death,.....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 13:46   #107

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

Jeez you guys are scaring me ! wasting good drink on a fish !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 14:14   #108

Boat: Mac 26X
I can't believe I read all 11 pages! Only on CF could a thread on killing fish end up moderated! Of course the OP had an attitude to start with, so that may be the reason.

Fwiw I bring rum for the fish. But every damn time I catch one, I sound like Jack Sparrow "Why is the rum always gone??"
Old 23-06-2013, 19:07   #109
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
I can't believe I read all 11 pages! Only on CF could a thread on killing fish end up moderated! Of course the OP had an attitude to start with, so that may be the reason.
Just exactly what was my 'attitude' ???? I asked a simple question ... how could you possibly infer 'attitude' from that ??????????? Jeeesh ....
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 19:16   #110

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Just exactly what was my 'attitude' ???? I asked a simple question ... how could you possibly infer 'attitude' from that ??????????? Jeeesh ....
You proclaimed your temperance a bit too much I think, I guess.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 20:27   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You proclaimed your temperance a bit too much I think, I guess.
Essentially yes...i.e. "drinking is 3/4 of boat life" Elitist at best. IMHO of course.

EIGHT PAGES??????????? Dang!!
Old 23-06-2013, 21:20   #112

The fist fish we caught was a big tuna that made the back deck look like Silence of the Lambs! What a mess to clean off white fiberglass. Slippery fish drops, bounces one, two, three transom steps & back into the water. Had dolphin following us thinking we were feeding them!! Learned better ways after that.

Now, I keep a squeeze bottle with cheap alcohol so I can squirt it in the gills-or around the area & some gets in! It is just easier. Keeps the decks clean & it's less dangerous-no slippery blood (or less) on deck and less chance of injury from fighting fish (or swinging club or sharp things!). I then put it in a large trash bag with old plastic cutting board to cut off head & bleed out-voila! Rinse & refrigerate or freeze. No mess! It works for me. Of course, in Mexico, I bought fresh fish off the beach 'cause it was cheaper, easier & no slowing sail to pull in a fish!

OP, find the way that suits you. No one cares if you are feeding the dock with a big halibut!!

Gloria
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4046941921.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	63083  
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:24   #113
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Essentially yes...i.e. "drinking is 3/4 of boat life" Elitist at best. IMHO of course.
A minor but important distinction ... what I said was "3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking". The important bit is the 'seems to' rather than 'is'. Reading the posts on cruisers forum certainly gives that impression.
I guess one could say that I am elitist but then you'd have to say the same things about vegetarians, people who have a distaste for running an engine when there is no wind, people who prefer to row their dinghy and on and on.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. I can't believe how a simple question managed to get to over 100 posts ...

Thanks to everybody that participated and a special thanks to those that replied to my question.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:42   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1
Thanks to everybody that participated and a special thanks to those that replied to my question.
Ooh yeah, I did forget I WANT to use tequila to dispatch the buggers, but once the rum is gone, the Margarita machine seems to suck up all of the tequila.
Old 23-06-2013, 23:30   #115

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
This is probably a bit of an odd question for this audience since 3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking but here goes ....
I don't drink, never acquired a taste for alcohol and intensely dislike even minute amounts. Is there any kind of transmission of alcohol to the meat of the fish if it is dispatched with alcohol?
A related question: Since I don't carry booze of any kind on board, will Isopropyl alcohol do the job without striking me blind (since it is poisonous for drinking purposes)?
Thanks in advance.
I carry a Tazer onboard and zap them as i reel them in.. Doesnt really matter whereabouts you zap them.
On the head? On the body? starboard or portside of the fish is the same.
But also not too long either as you can cook the thing whilst alive.
But yeah Tazing them does the trick.. Sometimes i get shocked as well.
So you got to practice a couple of times to get it right...
Good luck
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:13   #116

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

Quote:
A minor but important distinction ... what I said was "3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking". The important bit is the 'seems to' rather than 'is'. Reading the posts on cruisers forum certainly gives that impression.
I guess one could say that I am elitist but then you'd have to say the same things about vegetarians, people who have a distaste for running an engine when there is no wind, people who prefer to row their dinghy and on and on.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. I can't believe how a simple question managed to get to over 100 posts ...

Heh. And thank you fer the back-handed thankees. Elitist is one term, Cap. I think others used some less high-flyin language.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:24   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

I recall seeing a TV programme years back about the largest recorded shark caught in the Med from a boat. Was 16 foot.....that doesn't sound wildly impressive, except that the fella was in a 14 foot boat! I dunno what he used to kill the shark - but I suspect any booze on the boat was used to fuel the decision to bring the shark onboard.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:03   #118

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

You forgot the prayer!!! for HALHAL.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:32   #119

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Geoduck,
Thank you for your comments and your clarity. When one speaks to a professional, in any field, one must use the proper respect, propriety and decorum and if I have somehow failed to do so, I offer my sincere apologies. It is rare in today's world to have the opportunity to speak with professionals and share the immense knowledge they have garnered over the years working in their profession. And you, Sir, by your previous luminary responses to this thread, have established your superiority to all other respondants. To this, I acquiesce. In regards to fly fishing, I'm certain that all the bravado, panache and testosterone infused masculinity you have practiced in your former life fighting wind, water and the harsh elements as you pursued your professional commercial fishing career you have likewise practiced the sensitivity, finesse and artistic demeanor necessary for casting a #18 Gray Drake on a WF composite flyline(line weight, of course, would be determined by your professional expertise as you gauged the flow of the river, wind and strength of the currents, on your 100 year old handmade split bamboo fly rod. To these accomplishments, there is little others can do to reach this impossible elevated level other than dream. And, for those like myself who are "really thick," as you have stated above, I must accept my lowly position on the universal scale of professionalism and abjectly accept my present and future attempts will only lead to failure. In closing, I would like to thank you for your excellent, perceptive and educational remarks concerning this thread and hope, for the sake of the countless uninitiated like myself, you will consider further discourse on other threads to help elevate this noble forum to a much higher level as only your past experience and professionalism is able to do. As for myself, whom you have called a "really thick person," I will sincerely try to improve both spiritually and intellectually in hopes of gaining your respect and pleasure although I am convinced I will never become a professional. Good luck, good sailing and in reverent respect . . . Captain Rognvald the Dilettante.
Well! Thank you for your comments! It's nice to know some people appreciate a true professional! As far as being labeled "a really thick person" If the shoe fits..............?
I'm amazed this thread is still at it!
I'm also amazed I'm getting through! iPhone/IPad/personal hot spot/AT&T anchored up in the fog in Shallow Bay, Sucia Island. Will wonders ever cease?
I'm still waiting for my next Salmon. I'm dying to give him a drink of Old Crow!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:35   #120
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Anybody here ever listen to jazz? Maybe remember a fella name a Al Hirt?

One night long ago, he was on the Johnny Carson Show and the talk got around to how Al liked deep sea fishing. Johnny asked him what kind of rig he used and wasn't that complicated and Al said rig? what rig? All you needed was the boat and the ice chests. One for the the beer, and the other for the dynamite. And all you had to remember, was which one to throw in the water.

Works for me.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish