Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 17:31   #1

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit
Dishwashers aboard

Before you flame me, realize that I am from a totally drought-parched part of the states, so that is my point of reference. We have way more energy than water.

Dishwashers use less water than hand-washing. This cannot be debated. You can wash a full load of dishes in only 8 gallons of water. Could you really manage that with hand-washing?

So, it's established that dishwashers are water-efficient. How about energy-efficiency on a boat, though? The water has to be heated, plus electricity is needed to run it.

I'm actually thinking about the drawer-type dishwashers (they only use 4 gallons per wash).

I have no opinion here and am just looking for your thoughts.

Go.
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Dishwashers aboard

You've established that dishwashers use less water than handwashing, only 8 gls, that's all?
Honestly you can hand wash dishes if you need to using only a few ounces of fresh water if water is really short, this from a cruiser wanna be, real cruisers can probably do bettter. Wash in salt and rinse off with a spray bottle of fresh. Really would be astonished how little fresh water you can use if you really need to conserve. Realize you have an endless supply of water that is floating the boat.
Just do not try to conserve by drinking less

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:49   #3

Sorry but on a boat, you can manage load of dishes with less than one gallon. It's just something that you learn to do when living with limited resources. If you wash with salt and rinse with fresh, then you are down to less than a quart, or where I am from, a litre.

Grant
Grant Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:51   #4

A64 beat me to it. I think I am a bit more extravagant than he is allowing for a whole gallon.
Grant Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:54   #5

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Depends how big your water tanks are, do you have a watermaker or will be able to stock up on water/collect rain water. I love my dishwasher. The dishes come out cleaner if you do it correctly.
Old 16-01-2015, 17:58   #6

Agree with a64pilot and would add that dishwashers I believe use caustic soda mostly to clean... not exactly the best stuff to be emptying into some fragile coral reef.

8 gallons that is over 32 liters which also equals 1 1/2 jerry cans, that is huge, unnecessary and wasteful on a boat.

Sure some people have 250 liter per hour water maker... whatever floats your boat.

No flame intended just my point of view.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 18:04   #7

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

On board we use way less than a gallon or 4 something litres.
Going home to check the dishwasher in the house if it does use 8 gallons or around 35 litres then it will not be used much in the future.
Frankly I thought they were heaps more efficient than that.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 18:07   #8

Maybe it is 8 liters not 8 gallons.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 18:29   #9

Energy Star rated dishwashers which most people on land have these days use 4 gallons per load.
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 18:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dishwashers aboard

I don't know, a full size house dishwasher? Two wash cycles, and at least one rinse? Could be 8 gls. Heck a house toilet uses at least a gl per flush don't they?
Water consumption of the average person is phenominal, as well as energy consumption

Check out this http://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html

Old 16-01-2015, 18:36   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

As others have already said, your "undebatable" premise is dubious at best. I don't use anywhere near 8 gallons of water to clean dishes on land, let alone while living on our boat. It's certainly possible for a dishwasher to use less water than a hand-washing, but with only the slightest bit of care and awareness, it's easy for the opposite to be true. In fact, for most cruisers who live with modest vessels, being environmentally conscious is both a necessity, as well as being part of the lifestyle's attraction.

So, to answer your question: learn to wash dishes with a modest amount of water. It's not hard, and it fits in well with the cruising lifestyle.
Old 17-01-2015, 01:50   #12

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Does anybody have anything salient to share regarding energy usage, or are you going to continue to debate water conservation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:08   #13

I have a small dishwasher aboard 18" I use it all the time while docked. When on the hook I Hand wash
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:14   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Does anybody have anything salient to share regarding energy usage, or are you going to continue to debate water conservation?
Maybe you need to ask an actual question. Are you asking which dishwasher is most energy efficient? If so, you may have to actually look at the various versions yourself. I assume they are all rated.

As you can immediately gather, dishwashers are not very common on modest cruising boats, mainly b/c they waste water. I would guess they are also huge power draws, both to run, and heat the water. Again, an unnecessary waste of amps.

If you never leave the dock, then water and amp conservation mean nothing. If you plan to cruise on a modest sailboat, then a dishwasher is simply a bad idea.
Old 17-01-2015, 06:27   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dishwashers aboard

Energy? Hand washing uses no significant electricity, and if you feel the need for hot water, Propane is the most efficient way to get there. In warm weather, I don't see the need myself.
I believe most will group dishwashers with front door opening home type refrigerators and Satellite TV's.
But you know it's your boat and if you can afford such things, why not?
If you want one, get one. I'm just going to guess your thinking of a large Cat for a boat?

On edit, water conservation is energy use, either getting the water or "making" it, both require significant energy, unless of course your in a Marina with a garden hose