Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-01-2015, 21:40   #91

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: Dishwashers aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm with you there, but why not have both? We're only a crew of two and by the time we had a load of clothes, we'd have a load of dishes, too. Just start the genny, charge the batts, and get the washing done every so often.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well that would be convenient if it fits and continues to work on the boat.

If resources allow it, all kinds of things can be put on a boat.

I will try to keep things as simple as possible (for my desire to avoid maintenance issues) whenever possible. So I would prefer to do hand washing of the minimal dishes (assuming I am solo or with one other person). I do hand washing at home, with minimal water needed.

For larger crew and more dishes to clean, I like the following method I have used for dishwashing for a crew of four (on a mono that was offshore for weeks):

Get three plastic 3 gallon buckets that nest together (to reduce space used on boat).

Do the washing in the cockpit or on the poop deck (if boat has one). When finished washing dishes, use the last two "rinse" buckets to wash down the cockpit (or dump overboard).

1. put saltwater and salt-water friendly soap in one bucket for first wash and scrubbing dishes.
2. Put saltwater in second bucket for rinsing off soap by dunking dishes.
3. Put clean saltwater in third bucket for final rinse by dunking.

If you have enough fresh water, a light rinse at the end or spray can be used to remove the salt from the eating surfaces. We did not have a water maker, so all washing was done with salt water only.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:21   #92
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
A seawater prerinse makes more sense besidess where would you put all the extra paper towels and the resultant rubbish on a long cruise
My "seawater" is often brown and murky.

Old 22-01-2015, 08:11   #93

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My "seawater" is often brown and murky.
That does pose a problem.

I can imagine many places (commercial docks, bayous, some rivers, some bays, marinas) where I would not want to pump the local water on my body or dishes etc.

One reason I want a water maker is to have some freedom from local water supplies, when the local water is questionable or unpalatable (for drinking or other uses).

But, when sailing offshore, I don't think there should be problems getting plenty of clean "blue water" (saltwater) for washing, showering, etc.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:17   #94
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dishwashers aboard

Compared to most proprietary equipment on board, using a domestic dishwasher and clothes washer is not only easy to service ( they are very simple systems ) , and easy to get parts. Yes bits will attacked by the salt. But if you get 3-5 years who cares , white goods are cheap as chips and a dishwasher can be had for 250 euros upwards

I fix all mine over the years.

Anyone with a inboard generator and a decent water tank is going to have no issues other then space. Those with watermakers are well ahead of the posse.

I see no debate here , there's no " moral " argument

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-01-2015, 08:29   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I'm with you there, but why not have both? We're only a crew of two and by the time we had a load of clothes, we'd have a load of dishes, too. Just start the genny, charge the batts, and get the washing done every so often.

I think for most, they just don't have the infrastructure if you will, by that I mean enough water, power and space for all that. If you do, then fine, no problem.
I for one plan on a generator and a watermaker and a clothes washer, and for a lot of people that is just too much, to them that just isn't cruising I guess.
I've been teased repeatedly about it.
But your first statement is I think incorrect, that is that you can't hand wash dishes and use less water than a dishwasher, I think you can, but that's actually irrelevant if you have a watermaker and the power etc. to run it, if you can afford the boat necessary to have all that and to you it's important, then what was the question?
Old 22-01-2015, 08:49   #96

Boat: in search of what I'll need

this may be a fairly ignorant observation on my part, as, I haven't used a home dishwasher in years... all the apartments that I have had in the past with washers required me to pre-scrub everything before loading the machine or the units' pressure couldn't produce clean dishes as advertised... so, essentially "I" was the dishwasher and so never used it again as it was both a waste of personal and electrical energy.

maybe nowadays the newer machines can actually handle the job without my assistance and make it a worthwhile purchase???

Casey
Old 22-01-2015, 10:13   #97
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masajista View Post
this may be a fairly ignorant observation on my part, as, I haven't used a home dishwasher in years... all the apartments that I have had in the past with washers required me to pre-scrub everything before loading the machine or the units' pressure couldn't produce clean dishes as advertised... so, essentially "I" was the dishwasher and so never used it again as it was both a waste of personal and electrical energy.

maybe nowadays the newer machines can actually handle the job without my assistance and make it a worthwhile purchase???

Casey

Other then removing loose food waste, I've never pre-scrubbed anything. You do need to watch the filters and run the machine empty with no filters sad a cleaner from time to time to avoid buildup internally

Sheesh I can't believe I'm talking about dishwashers
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-01-2015, 19:54   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a house size dishwasher, a washer, and a self built low amp watermaker. I have no problems with having enough water. My water is often better than most marina water.
Old 23-01-2015, 20:59   #99

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323

Quote:

If you are asking this question you will never actually have either. There aren't that many "where to fit my helicopter landing pad" or "what size water heater do I need for my hot tub" threads. That's because if you have the space and money for either you're not on a message board asking about them. If you do have the space and money for a dishwasher, just buy whatever the hell you want.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-01-2015, 08:09   #100

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
If you are asking this question you will never actually have either.
I am confused by your response. What is the connection between asking a question and the future, pray tell?
Old 24-01-2015, 09:36   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I suggest just licking everything clean .SWL
You and your tongue are going to get into trouble some day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^A64pilot, if that's the case, then someone's 20 gal/hr watermaker would have to be run for 1 hr. just to wash the dishes! ...so would require genset or running the main engine. In turn, the implication is also that they would need more dishes, and dish storage, too.

Hmph!
Perfect justification for up sizing Ann!

And... this dishwasher thread was WAY more fun....
(maybe some useful info too...)

Dishwasher

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:03   #102

Quote:
I'm with you there, but then our dog would get the shits and we would need to use ten gallons of water to clean it up!

What cookbook are you using??
Old 24-01-2015, 12:06   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I suggest just licking everything clean .

SWL
That's what I normally do, but what about the dishes?
Old 24-01-2015, 12:12   #104

Quote:

You're onto something there, seriously.

It would be pretty easy to make a washing machine that could wash dishes as well. Depending on which button you push (clothes or dishes) would activate the agitator or spray bar.

They're both pretty similar devices: they're watertight containers that wash something with hot, medium or cold water. You could even sanitize your clothes, since that function has to be built into the dish washer anyways!
Old 24-01-2015, 14:30   #105

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

We used to have Australian cattle dogs and they could eat darn near anything with no ill effects, but our little French papillons get upset tummies at the slightest change in their diet.

There has to be a joke in there somewhere

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: