Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-01-2015, 00:43   #61

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Dishwashers aboard

What a heated discussion on the subject!

When I was putting together my order list for "Zanshin" I found the price for the small dishwashing unit to be rather high and since I'm alone aboard most of the time never thought about doing anything but washing by hand until I showed a friend the details of my soon-to-be-ordered boat.

She asked about the dishwasher and I haughtily dismissed the device and she looked at me, in pity, and said "You are spending a fortune on a big boat but are too cheap to get a dishwasher?". That having been said, I put the dishwasher on the list and have never looked back.

The unit cleans well, uses very little water and the only noise I hear is the <beep> when the cycle is complete. Except when it is heating the water or drying, it uses very little energy and I usually run it off the inverter if I'm not running the genset for other purposes at the same time.

Considering that I only run it when it has filled and would otherwise be washing small batches of plates and cups and silverware the savings in water use are quite significant.

link to my webpage on the dishwasher

Old 19-01-2015, 05:13   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

This whole question seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

What is the difficulty with hand washing? Why would one go through the added expense, additional infrastructure, and higher maintenance, just to have a machine wash your dishes? I really don't get it .

Unless you're talking about a large boat with many crew, it's hard to see how a dishwasher could be more efficient. A dishwasher on a modest-szed sailboat takes a simple and efficient chore, and turns it into a complex and costly task. I'm all for useful tools. I'm not a luddite. But I really don't get it.

Old 19-01-2015, 05:55   #63

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Where is this 8 gallons coming from ,

In Europe Bosch dishwashers for example have an A+++ rating and use 6 litres if water. , that's about 1 gallons

I think our household dishwasher was made by Bosch. Relatively silent, works well... but then a normal load also takes 1-hours. Not to worry, I don't really care how long it takes 'cause I'm not standing there watching it... and we just wait 'til it's full before running it... which in turn means we're not just washing one or two plates, one or two pots, and a bit of flatware at a time.

As NJ says, our genset wouldn't notice the load, in fact might even appreciate the load... so although we don't have a dishwasher onboard, nor do I see any room for one, I certainly wouldn't mind. ("Countertop" models? I might have to check those out...) And we'd probably still wait until full before running. On a new build, I'd certainly trade dishwasher space -- and probably washer-dryer space -- for a useless second cabin like we have now.

For those who remember GalaxyGirl, she probably has a new dishwasher by now. OTOH, her boat is a 65' Hatteras LRC and she's got 7 aboard. (Her signature line has the URL for her blog.)

The other side of the coin is obvious; some boats, some folks, can't fit one, can't power one, can't feed (water) one, don't want one. I don't see where any of that means they need to be banned or something...

Different strokes.

-Chris
Old 19-01-2015, 05:59   #64
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Why would one go through the added expense, additional infrastructure, and higher maintenance, just to have a machine wash your dishes?
agree with you. if it were me i would be looking at installing some kind of small bath tub .. now that would be nice
Old 19-01-2015, 06:10   #65
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

If I had a generator, watermaker, and the space, I would have a dishwasher on my boat. I would have a clothes washer/dryer also.

So in my mind the question isn't how much water and power it takes to have a dishwasher, it's whether you have the 2 support items to run it.
Old 19-01-2015, 06:13   #66

Quote:
What is the difficulty with hand washing? Why would one go through the added expense, additional infrastructure, and higher maintenance, just to have a machine wash your dishes? I really don't get it .

FWIW, I'd rather be enjoying after-dinner drinks on the flying bridge, watching the sunset. Much more pleasant than being stuck in the galley.

Didn't get into boating to wash dishes. In fact, didn't buy a house in order to wash dishes either. I can almost always find better things to do with my time...

Probably yet another of those "different strokes" things. Didn't suggest anyone else do the same...

-Chris
Old 19-01-2015, 06:20   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No,
It's a big boat and or luxury sort of thing, I think I understand it better now.
As was stated "Your spending a fortune on a big boat and are too cheap to put in a dishwasher"
That's I think a pretty logical statement. Similar I think to would you buy a new big Mercedes without an air conditioner?
Old 19-01-2015, 06:22   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So in my mind the question isn't how much water and power it takes to have a dishwasher, it's whether you have the 2 support items to run it.
Or you are at a slip with water/power a lot. I forget people do that.
Old 19-01-2015, 06:32   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For me it's a space issue, those things aren't small, where would I put it?
Plus washing dishes is a 5 min job? Truthfully the time spent loading and un-loading the thing is about the same time spent washing.
Years ago when I was in the Army I bought the wife a portable dishwasher. The thing was on wheels and it rolled over to the sink, connected to the sink and plugged into the wall.
She never did like the thing, to her it was more hassle than it was worth, and of course as I had bought the thing, I wanted it used.

Long story short, I learned to never buy her any kind of home appliance
Old 19-01-2015, 06:41   #70

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Our boat came with a Fisher & Paykal dishwasher. If I were fitting out another boat and had an option of whether to include a dishwasher, I probably wouldn't. Other Tayana 58's we saw used the space for extra storage and a trash compactor. I would appreciate both of those more, I think.

We use the dishwasher sometimes. As a family of 7, often with guests as well, we do generate a lot of dishes. The dishwasher does make it easier to clean-up. We are rarely at a dock though, which means running the genset to power the dishwasher. If we're running the genset, we might as well make water. The watermaker puts out 39 gal/hr. The dishwasher takes from 1-2 hours. In that time we've made up to 80 gallons of water. Therefore it doesn't really matter to us then how efficient/inefficient the dishwasher's use of water.

Our home dishwasher, however, gets run 3-5x a day and is almost a necessity. We live in an area with abundant water and use the dishwasher as a time-saver, not a water-saver.
Old 19-01-2015, 07:54   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For me, the question is not whether it can be done, but why? I guess the answer is that you dislike washing dishes so much that the added space, cost, water consumption, energy use, charging capacity, and maintenance are worth it if you can avoid doing dishes by hand. One really has to hate doing dishes to make this equation work, but obviously some do.

With a large crew I can see where they make sense. But for the typical crew of two to four, unless you're making a major meal, the number of dishes you're dirtying is pretty small. Compared to many other undesirable tasks on a cruising boat, doing dishes by hand is pretty darn easy.

To each his/her own .
Old 19-01-2015, 09:09   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For me, the question is not whether it can be done, but why?
I don't see it that way at all. The OP wants one so if it can be supported by the boat the question is why not. I see nothing wrong with wanting something on your boat regardless if others chose not to have it.
Old 19-01-2015, 20:35   #73

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
For me, the question is not whether it can be done, but why? I guess the answer is that you dislike washing dishes so much that the added space, cost, water consumption, energy use, charging capacity, and maintenance are worth it if you can avoid doing dishes by hand. One really has to hate doing dishes to make this equation work, but obviously some do.

With a large crew I can see where they make sense. But for the typical crew of two to four, unless you're making a major meal, the number of dishes you're dirtying is pretty small. Compared to many other undesirable tasks on a cruising boat, doing dishes by hand is pretty darn easy.

To each his/her own .
Mike,

The OP specifically suggested she did not want feedback on the merits or not of dishwashers just information on their use.
Old 20-01-2015, 05:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The OP specifically suggested she did not want feedback on the merits or not of dishwashers just information on their use.
Thanks, but the OP has long left the building. I was responding to the thread drift by then.
Old 20-01-2015, 09:14   #75

Quote:

I'd say our answer is closer to your first assumption: "dislike" enough so that alternatives might be worth it. Can't really say I "hate" it, though -- maybe don't even "dislike" it all that much -- and that's not what would make alternatives work for us.

"Worth it" comes very close, but I'd describe it in an even more nuanced way: the outcome of a time-value analysis where we weigh time available to do more enjoyable stuff against the cost of alternative approaches to less enjoyable stuff. Cost writ large. Eventually influenced by the size and shape of my wallet, at the time. Even slightly influenced by actuarial analysis (including predictions), and so forth.

Certainly not a one-size-fits-all analysis.

-Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: