Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2015, 15:45   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dishwashers aboard

Neptune's Jester, and all,

Your post shows me how different the life of the traditional motor boater and monohull sailors differ. Your gennie doesn't even notice the load. We have no genset.

For us, electricity comes from 3 sources: diesel when we run our ship's engine; solar when the sun shines; and wind (air-X wind gen), and we run it all from the ships batteries direct, except for the 110 v. via an inverter.

We have no water maker, either, and rely on tankage. We are not untypical of many older monos. We live at anchor, mainly, using marinas if we travel, or have jobs that require a marina to be accomplished. I guess we're living proof it can be done, if one wants to.

Ann

Old 18-01-2015, 16:28   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ann,
Times are I believe a changin, the OP who asked the question to begin with is looking at I think a 45+ Cat.
The few of those I've seen seem to have a 7.5KW or larger generator. I believe that was her reason for saying she would take this question over to the multi hull forum
The thing that bothered me a little was the comment that dishwashers used less water than hand washing, that was an established fact and couldn't be argued, only 8 Gls are used and you can't hand wash with that little bit of water. I thought good Lord I'm very new at this, we haven't even begun, but if it takes more than 8 gls of fresh water to do the dishes, we need to come up with another plan. I believe you can wash dishes using VERY little fresh water if needed.
We have only been out for 8 to 10 days at a time and budgeted 1 gl of water pr day, per person and except for hygene, that was plenty.

You don't have to have a generator and use 8 gls of water to do the dishes, but if you want to that's fine, just don't insist that you can't hand wash dishes unless you use at least 8 gls of water, cause some might believe you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-01-2015, 16:38   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64pilot,

Man, you got that right. Times they ARE a-changin' for sure!

Of course you don't need 8 gal to wash 130 items, unless they're all large pots with a bunch of sticky stuff. And there's still salt water pre-wash.

Lots of variety here, and that's also for sure.

Ann
Old 18-01-2015, 17:43   #49
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where is this 8 gallons coming from ,

In Europe Bosch dishwashers for example have an A+++ rating and use 6 litres if water. , that's about 1 gallons

They are not uncommon, most brands have something similar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-01-2015, 17:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Where is this 8 gallons coming from ,

In Europe Bosch dishwashers for example have an A+++ rating and use 6 litres if water. , that's about 1 gallons

They are not uncommon, most brands have something similar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8 gallons sounds like a ton to me. I know I can wash dinner dishes in less than a half gallon of water, probably a quart
Old 18-01-2015, 18:04   #51

I have two dishwashers.

One is named Jazmin, the other is named Max. They also serve as bed warmers in the winter, whether I'm there or not... LOL
Old 18-01-2015, 18:05   #52

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Cal Girl,

Some photos of a small draw type dishwasher fitted to a FF46 catamaran, an Australian design. The vessel has no diesel genset (not sure about a Honda), 800watts of solar and a Spectra DC watermaker.

Designs - FreeFlow 46

So it can be done. It is quite easy to have 1200 watts or more of solar and you should plan on doing that. A good solar bank will give you plenty of freedom with power. Are a few good threads on installing decent solar panels on catamarans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0530.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	95679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0099(edited).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	95680  

Old 18-01-2015, 18:42   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

1200 watts solar that's a lot of real estate on a mono sailboat we are looking at 2 100 watt panels on the hard dodger and that will be plenty for our boat to run the refer the water maker and lights with plenty extra ah for the electronics wen we need to use them
Old 18-01-2015, 19:44   #54

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Fisher-Paykal single drawer uses 2 gallons and about .4 kwh,
Old 18-01-2015, 19:48   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
1200 watts solar that's a lot of real estate on a mono sailboat we are looking at 2 100 watt panels on the hard dodger and that will be plenty for our boat to run the refer the water maker and lights with plenty extra ah for the electronics wen we need to use them
I think you're going to be very disappointed when you find out how much power you get vs rated panel output.

For example, a week ago I installed 2 solar systems, both of them with 690 watts of panels and 60 amp Morningstar controllers. Down here in CA, we're a lot closer to the equator than you are, so the sun is a little higher in the sky than from your location.

Even so, the highest output we saw from the systems was 200w at midday, due to how low the sun is in the sky at this time of year. All of the panels were mounted flat, not tilted toward the sun. I'm sure we'll see full power out of them this summer, but you can expect less, far less than rated power output pretty much all of the time except when the sun is directly overhead. This was with no shading whatsoever, if you get any shading on your boat, even from a sheet or boom, you can expect even less power output.

I would venture to say that if you installed your 200 watt system right now, you'd see about 60 watts output, which isn't very much at all. So a 1200 watt system isn't really all that big, because you'll rarely get full power out of it, unless you're in the Caribbean in the summer.
Old 18-01-2015, 20:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Recon you will probably be struggling with only 200 W even running a watermaker. I believe the OP was talking of a 45ft+ cat and 1200 w on that size cat is really achieveable.

Solar Panel Options on a Cat

Solar Panel Options on a Cat
Old 18-01-2015, 22:53   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I think you're going to be very disappointed when you find out how much power you get vs rated panel output.

For example, a week ago I installed 2 solar systems, both of them with 690 watts of panels and 60 amp Morningstar controllers. Down here in CA, we're a lot closer to the equator than you are, so the sun is a little higher in the sky than from your location.

Even so, the highest output we saw from the systems was 200w at midday, due to how low the sun is in the sky at this time of year. All of the panels were mounted flat, not tilted toward the sun. I'm sure we'll see full power out of them this summer, but you can expect less, far less than rated power output pretty much all of the time except when the sun is directly overhead. This was with no shading whatsoever, if you get any shading on your boat, even from a sheet or boom, you can expect even less power output.

I would venture to say that if you installed your 200 watt system right now, you'd see about 60 watts output, which isn't very much at all. So a 1200 watt system isn't really all that big, because you'll rarely get full power out of it, unless you're in the Caribbean in the summer.
So by that you say I will get about 24 ah per day at this time of year which would support our cool blue refer and about two hrs of water maker per day

At this time of year we are mostly at the marina on shore power we are going to be on the hook from mid April to mid sept and during that time of year we would get about double the ah out of the panels and that will work great for me and dad
Old 18-01-2015, 23:54   #58

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

What about the noise a dishwasher makes?
I don't see much problem washing dishes by hand.
However, I could see the dishwasher as the place to keep the dishes,
and actually the place to put them to dry when wet as well,
so it wouldn't really take up more space, and not use any power either.

Clothes are a different story.
Old 19-01-2015, 00:03   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What about the noise a dishwasher makes?
I don't see much problem washing dishes by hand.
However, I could see the dishwasher as the place to keep the dishes,
and actually the place to put them to dry when wet as well,
so it wouldn't really take up more space, and not use any power either.

Clothes are a different story.
You have just raised a couple of advantages for having a dishwaster.

Time to go for a swim/dive while the dishwasher is running. problem solved.
Old 19-01-2015, 00:39   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There's always this alternative:

Retire to the V-berth with your SO and have 15-20 minutes of fun. Approximately 9 months from now your future dishwasher will arrive. Intallation and commissioning time is in the vicinity of 8-9 years.

Once fully commisssioned, use salt water for initial wash and rinse with fresh water.

-0- energy used. very low fresh water usage.

running maintenance costs (food, clothing etc) - extremely high. Reschooling to other tasks (higher education) ubelievably high.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: