Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2015, 17:36   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Dishwashers aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know, a full size house dishwasher? Two wash cycles, and at least one rinse? Could be 8 gls. Heck a house toilet uses at least a gl per flush don't they?
Water consumption of the average person is phenominal, as well as energy consumption

Check out this http://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Energy & water consumption per capita in the USA is stagering...one of the things I find bordering on obscene on my rare visits. Even ashore, off grid house, we use very little of either (composting toilets, all LED lighting...).

Similar aboard a boat. When you are your own utility company you are much more concious of use of resources.

I do have a friend who lives off grid and has a dishwasher, but he has ample fresh water from a large catchment system. He also disconnected the wildly inefficient resistive heating element in the dishwasher and uses an on demand propane system for the hot water.

Old 17-01-2015, 18:12   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The link I gave has the USGS saying 20 Gl per load, depending on the efficiency of the dishwasher.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 17-01-2015, 18:46   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^A64pilot, if that's the case, then someone's 20 gal/hr watermaker would have to be run for 1 hr. just to wash the dishes! ...so would require genset or running the main engine. In turn, the implication is also that they would need more dishes, and dish storage, too.

Hmph!
Old 17-01-2015, 19:44   #34
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

A small wash tub with hot soapy water to wash dishes dump and repill with fresh water to rinse with and a small cup to dump water over plates that won't fit in small half gallon wash tub then drip dry over the tub with small dish drainer next time you wash heat the rinse water and add soap use it as wash water so would just use a half gallon or so water each day for dishes while underway. The other alternative I really like is using paper plates just burn in the BBQ on the rail once a week.
Old 17-01-2015, 19:53   #35
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Does anybody have anything salient to share regarding energy usage, or are you going to continue to debate water conservation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Truthfully on a cruiser underway water usage is energy usage you have to take into account the energy needed to make that water my water maker uses 3.5 ah and produces 1.5 gallons per hour so at 8 gallons of water I would use about 20 ah in water that is in addition to the actual power to run the DW my hands are much lower power consuming to operate and as I stated in earlier post I would use about 1.5 ah power to make the water to hand wash hope this helps answer your question
Old 17-01-2015, 20:17   #36

Boat: Catalina 30

A friend wanted to make a sink into an ultrasonic
dishwasher on his boat. Don't know if he ever
did or not.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 23:47   #37

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Dolfi Uses Ultrasonics to Wash Clothes Without a Machine | Digital Trends

I wonder if you could use this in dishes.
Old 18-01-2015, 00:18   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Does anybody have anything salient to share regarding energy usage, or are you going to continue to debate water conservation?
Hi CaliforniaGirl
Sorry for my earlier flippant reply .

It depends on the unit you install and if you use the drying portion of the cycle, but typically small dishwashers use roughly 1 kW/hr.

For a 12V system, that means a power consumption of around 80 A/hr.

You could do this with a huge solar bank and battery capacity, but usually most boats using a dishwasher would run it while the generator was running. The additional power consumption is then not critical. The idea is that at the same time as the batteries are charged, the water maker is run, washing machine and any electric cooking appliances are used etc.

For the system to work, you need a working generator, watermaker, dishwasher and waterpump. There is a lot to go wrong and most cruisers do not want this complexity and dependence.

In addition, it doesn't fit in with the philosophy many cruisers have of wanting to live simply, hence the horrified responses and the host of other suggestions you have received.

SWL
Old 18-01-2015, 00:36   #39
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi CaliforniaGirl
Sorry for my earlier flippant reply .

It depends on the unit you install and if you use the drying portion of the cycle, but typically small dishwashers use roughly 1 kW/hr.

For a 12V system, that means a power consumption of around 80 A/hr.

You could do this with a huge solar bank and battery capacity, but usually most boats using a dishwasher would run it while the generator was running. The additional power consumption is then not critical. The idea is that at the same time as the batteries are charged, the water maker is run, washing machine and any electric cooking appliances are used etc.

For the system to work, you need a working generator, watermaker, dishwasher and waterpump. There is a lot to go wrong and most cruisers do not want this complexity and dependence.

In addition, it doesn't fit in with the philosophy many cruisers have of wanting to live simply, hence the horrified responses and the host of other suggestions you have received.

SWL
Not to mention the additional fuel and maintance costs associated with the additional systems to support the dw
Old 18-01-2015, 12:20   #40
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Before you flame me, realize that I am from a totally drought-parched part of the states, so that is my point of reference. We have way more energy than water.

Dishwashers use less water than hand-washing. This cannot be debated. You can wash a full load of dishes in only 8 gallons of water. Could you really manage that with hand-washing?

So, it's established that dishwashers are water-efficient. How about energy-efficiency on a boat, though? The water has to be heated, plus electricity is needed to run it.

I'm actually thinking about the drawer-type dishwashers (they only use 4 gallons per wash).

I have no opinion here and am just looking for your thoughts.

Go.

I've seen nice ones on Amels can't remember the brand

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-01-2015, 14:30   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

If you pre-wash the dishes in salt water, you don't need very much fresh water at all. We have a salt water tap (faucet) right alongside the fresh water tap in the galley as, I suspect, do most cruisers.
Old 18-01-2015, 14:38   #42
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have one to prewash however using my freshwater breakdown to show the energy usage of an all fresh water wash
Old 18-01-2015, 15:06   #43

According to Which, dishwashers vary considerably with the best using between 7-10 litres per load and the worst 17-21... if you load it full there's no way you could wash up to 130 items in 7 litres of water by hand but as people pointed out you could always use saltwater..
The average dishwasher is 1800 watts but again this can vary from 1200-2400 watts per hours. if a cycle takes an hour then there's your answer re: energy.
hope that helps
Old 18-01-2015, 15:26   #44

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

As sioneone that has had a dishwasher aboard for 15 years, I have practical experience.

I have an Equator counter top model that I have built in to a cabinet.

1) You dont need to plumb in hot water. The dishwasher has a built in heating element and will heat the water itself

2) I use less water with the dishwasher because I can load the dishwasher over 2 to 3 days with dishes then do one load. With hand washing, I'm washing dishes after every meal to keep the counter and sink free of dirty dishes.

3) As for energy efficiency, I have never run the numbers on it. I dont run it off an inverter. I typically find need to run my gennie for an hour once every three days when out of port and I just wait to run the dishwasher then. The gennie doesnt even notice the load.

Later,
NJ

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-01-2015, 15:40   #45

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ft cruiser View Post
We have drilled a small hole in each of our plates bowls and cutlery.. we then long line them out the back and let Neptune wash ours. It saves any arguments and produces 5 mins of amusement until we bring them back in.
No space for a dish washer on our boat. :-D

Sent from my D2403 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yeah but, isn't dinner soup messy then?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: