Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 18:52   #1

Boat: Liberty 49
Dickinson Propane Stove/Oven

Does anyone have any opinions on Dickinson Propane Stoves? We're considering replacing our 22 year old Mariner model with a Mediterranean model. Our Mariner works ok but the oven doesn't hold temperature very well. Also, when it is on, the metal on the outside is way too hot to touch.

Any opinions on Dickinson or other manufacturers would be great! Thanks!
tararenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 13:39   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
In the process of changing my 20 yr. old Hillerange for a Force 10. Dickinson probably as good but like the appearance of the Force 10 better - and better price. Have never used Dickinson but several Force 10's, that is why we went with it. Dickinson makes the world's best BBQ!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:31   #3

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
I am ordering the two burner stove top should receive it soon I'll let you know what I think.

one of the differences is that dickinson use porcelain burners and others use stainless. I hope the porcelain will last.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:05   #4

Does anyone ave opinions on Dickinson propane stove? I plan to buy mediterranean and as it is pretty new i wonder if somebody as install it and have some comments for me
claude gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 09:21   #5

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
i have the Dickinson 2 burner Caribbean stove with oven and i love it. great oven cooks evenly heats up fast. would have like the 3 burner but didnt have the extra room. i have a dickinson propane furnace onboard as well excellent products and their support people are top notch
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:23   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I have had a Dickenson 2 burner cook top for 5years and love it. I don't have room for an oven so I can't comment on them but as with everything they build it's probably a good piece of equipment. On a work boat I was on years ago we had a Dickenson diesel stove and oven and it kept us warm all winter and made many fine meals as well
Old 18-02-2010, 12:31   #7

I am exited!

i just received my dickinson two burner and it looks great! Its' well build nothing but top notch quality!

I haven't Cooked on it yet so I can't comment on that.

The only thing I was worried about were the non stainless burners but all information points out that the porcelain ones will last.

It has high BTU ratings just in case you need it.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
I am exited!

i just received my Dickinson two burner and it looks great! Its' well build nothing but top notch quality!

I haven't Cooked on it yet so I can't comment on that.

The only thing I was worried about were the non stainless burners but all information points out that the porcelain ones will last.

It has high BTU ratings just in case you need it.
My excitement quickly turn to disappointment when I first lit the stove.

Make a long story short the big burner is producing WAY too much heat(11,000 BTU) for a small drop in stove.

It will melt the supports for the big burner and cause the burner to sink 1/2 an inch and the flame to go under the top plate....not a good thing.

I returned mine after much trouble and poor customer service from Dickinson.

I'll like to thank Go2marine for for their high level customer service which really have helped me not to go postal.

Got the force 10 instead and I am done.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11   #9

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
am surprised that you had poor customer service. i have had nothing but excellent service from the staff at dickinson. from pre sales support to technical support they have all been in my opinion excellent.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 16:53   #10

Boat: Liberty 49
I originally posted this and thought I'd follow up...

We purchased the 3 burner Mediterranean model and I love it! The oven preheats quickly, holds heat well, doesn't get too hot on the outside, and is true to temperature. The burners seem to be just the right size. I'm not sure what the problem is with the two burner model, but there is nothing that has even hinted at melting on or near the large burner. The literature from Dickinson indicates the BTU rating for all burners and they are much higher than others on the market. I think this is great - a large pot of water will boil in only a few minutes, saving lots of propane, keeping the heat in the galley down, and getting lobster to the table much faster! However, the large burner, even at low heat, is too much for a long simmer. I just switch to a smaller burner since I rarely have more than one pot going at a time.

The only thing I don't like about the unit is the oven thermocouple. It seems that I have to hold the knob in using every ounce of muscle I have just to get the thermocouple to open, then it needs to be held with the same force for about 20 seconds so the burner stays lit. I wonder if there is an adjustment that can be made for this though...

All in all, a happy customer here. I'd recommend Dickinson to anyone.
tararenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:11   #11

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
There is a "Mariner" labeled Dickinson but is not actually Dickinson - instead made by "Stainless Something" (don't remember what right now) in New Zeeland, now out of business. Ironically, it is a really good stove, wish I could get a new one.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24   #12

Re: Dickinson Propane Stove/Oven

I'm curious whether you are saying you actually did melt the supports on the stovetop? This must have been exciting on a boat!

For myself, I recently installed the Mediterranean and don't see how, with the stove properly installed that this could have been accomplished. Did you perhaps install your stove without a low pressure regulator in the system as Dickinson directs?

I have found the 11,000 BTU burner on the Mediterranean with the system properly installed to be great. It heats large pots of water for cooking crabs efficiently and yet when turned to low simmers nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
My excitement quickly turn to disappointment when I first lit the stove.

Make a long story short the big burner is producing WAY too much heat(11,000 BTU) for a small drop in stove.

It will melt the supports for the big burner and cause the burner to sink 1/2 an inch and the flame to go under the top plate....not a good thing.

I returned mine after much trouble and poor customer service from Dickinson.

I'll like to thank Go2marine for for their high level customer service which really have helped me not to go postal.

Got the force 10 instead and I am done.
munrolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09   #13

Boat: CS36 Traditional

It does seem odd and I wonder if perhaps the stove was left on as a space heater without any pot to displense the heat.

However it is possible:

According to the following links the melting point of SS is 1510C and the heat off a propane flame in Air is 1980C. I read that to mean that if you leave it on for long enough, it will eventually melt.

Melting Points
Metals - Melting Temperatures

Flame Temparature
Flame Temperatures some Common Gases

Perhaps the large burner is a bit too large...

Regardless of that, I decided to go with the Meditaraniion as well. Once I have it installed and working I will update the thread with my observations.

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:34   #14

The two burner drop-In stove has much less room to dissipate heat than the Range series like the mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by munrolr View Post
I'm curious whether you are saying you actually did melt the supports on the stovetop? This must have been exciting on a boat!

For myself, I recently installed the Mediterranean and don't see how, with the stove properly installed that this could have been accomplished. Did you perhaps install your stove without a low pressure regulator in the system as Dickinson directs?

I have found the 11,000 BTU burner on the Mediterranean with the system properly installed to be great. It heats large pots of water for cooking crabs efficiently and yet when turned to low simmers nicely.
Old 14-03-2011, 15:43   #15

the supports didn't actualy melt. The burner is supported by a tripod type setup of three VERY thin strips of stainless. these supports just buckled about a 1/4 of an inch resulting in the sinking of the burner and allowing the flame to heat the top plate which contributed to the problem by deflecting more heat where the support are at.

had i not detected this right away it would have caused potintialy major problem.

Hope this makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
It does seem odd and I wonder if perhaps the stove was left on as a space heater without any pot to displense the heat.

However it is possible:

According to the following links the melting point of SS is 1510C and the heat off a propane flame in Air is 1980C. I read that to mean that if you leave it on for long enough, it will eventually melt.

Melting Points
Metals - Melting Temperatures

Flame Temparature
Flame Temperatures some Common Gases

Perhaps the large burner is a bit too large...

Regardless of that, I decided to go with the Meditaraniion as well. Once I have it installed and working I will update the thread with my observations.

Andrew

Tags
dickinson, oven, propane, stove