Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 15:46   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Dehydrating Food

We bring a little UHT milk b/c my wife likes it in her coffee. Me, I'm perfectly happy with powdered. Actually, I find whole powdered milk to be quite palatable, but I'm not much of a milk drinker to begin with. Gets in the way of my beer consumption .

Old 18-02-2014, 15:52   #47

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We bring a little UHT milk b/c my wife likes it in her coffee. Me, I'm perfectly happy with powdered. Actually, I find whole powdered milk to be quite palatable, but I'm not much of a milk drinker to begin with. Gets in the way of my beer consumption .

A little tip on using the powdered stuff. Mix it really well with a whisk the night before and refrigerate it before consuming. It tastes a lot more like regular milk then.

Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 15:55   #48

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

How time flies. Well I'm using a super simple dehydrator. It works great with mushrooms and turning sprouted bread into crispy croutons. And here I am getting the moisture out of grated potatoes.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_095202.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	162614 after they dehydrated for an afternoon I put it in the fridge so my home fries tomorrow will be extra crispy. I have the drying rack over a black hatch that gets hot in the Sun. And I have a tray the size of the rack. My plans for the future is to have a big cookie sheet for the bottom, spacing and then the rack, then spacing and another cookie sheet the size of the glass and then the glass. That's tempered glass that was made for my solar oven but they made it the wrong size so I got it for free.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_095234.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	162615

PS I spray painted the tray with high temperature black paint but as you can see it easily scratches off. And when I'm dehydrating bread I put paper underneath the rack to catch all the crumbs
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 11:35   #49

A couple of improvementsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180216_162002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	167319. Not sure if having the metal tray farther from the food or closer is better.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180228_151339.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	167320 but the beauty of having a set and forget solar powered dehydrator is many times I just want to dry one or two bell peppers etc
Old 29-03-2018, 11:42   #50

Cool .

What’s the ambient air temperature where you are? Humidity? How much does the wind affect your setup?
Old 29-03-2018, 11:46   #51

From the Frugal thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...php?p=2606405#

The process to dry ground beef is pretty simple. Start with extra-lean ground beef. Fry it gently — cooked, but not scorched. Drain off the excess fat. I sometimes use a paper towel to further soak up more fat. Fat is the thing that will go rancid, so you want to remove as much as possible.

Once all the fat is gone I’ll often toss in some diced onions or garlic, and an oxo cube (powdered beef stock). I sometimes add other flavours like Worcestershire or soy sauce. Even hot sauce. Cook further, then dry.

Once it is dried I store it in vacuum bags. It will last for years if sealed.

I use it like normal ground beef. If I want to use just the beef I reconstitute it in a bowl with some hot water. Turns back into ground beef, but without the fat. So you can add in fat if you want to make hamburger patties.

Usually I’ll toss it directly into soups or other dishes (pasta, noodle, bean, potatoes … whatever). It’s also quite tasty as a direct snack, depending on how it’s been previously spiced.
Old 29-03-2018, 11:48   #52

Current daytime temperatures are in the 70s. And the humidity is high which is the main problem. Air flow is critical that's why I haven't added any screens besides the fact that I haven't seen any bugs on them or being attracted to them I think the metal tray heats up enough to discourage them but that's just a theory. Using a fan would definitely increase performance it would also increase complication but I will get around to that one day.
Old 29-03-2018, 19:25   #53

Boat: Cal 29

Thx for updates.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 13:37   #54

I found to get sprouted bread extra crispy it really needs to be put in the solar oven that's held open about a quarter inch. I've also found having the cookie tray just above and upside down keeps things like mint from blowing awayClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180421_152443.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	168469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180421_152513.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	168470
Old 17-07-2018, 18:38   #55

For things that have a higher moisture content I found the solar oven held open a quarter inch works best. I put bananas and peaches, sliced of course, on parchment paper on the rack which is suspended by wedging it in my solar oven. Then I put the cookie sheet above it about halfway between the rack and the glass. They took 3 days to dry, it would have been less if I put it directly on the rack but I like Easy Clean Up. A nice thing is I could remove the spacers and flip the glass over so that the rubber gasket made a good seal for overnight. Also with the Sun so high in the afternoon the oven can actually be facing the opposite direction and there will be very little Shadow. I think it helps that I'm not using the reflectors. And I try and make sure it's facing the sun in the early and late part of the day. JMHO but I don't think racks suspended in a screened covering would work in this high humidity.
Old 25-08-2018, 09:06   #56

Eventually I'll get another regulator but in the meantime this is an awesome herb dehydrator. I have a couple mint plants and mint needs to be cut back periodically and basil is one of those plants that grow quickly for short periods of time so it's good to be able to preserve the plentiful also if you don't prune them they will go to flower. You can see in the back of the grill at first I stuck individual branches into the back so that they would be spaced apart. After they were drying for about a month I just took a new big bunch and threw it in there, that's what you see mostly and to my surprise the big bunch I just threw in there is drier than the stuff I hung. Making solar mint tea today. This is truly set it and forget it. And I left the leaves on the branches, it will be easier to strain.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_082801.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	176069Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_082751.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	176070
Old 18-09-2018, 17:57   #57

I found if I take my solar oven and wedge it so the glass is flat in other words facing straight up I don't have to worry about orientating and I can still maintain a thermometer reading of 150 degrees which I believe it's more like 120 actual because everyone knows a thermometer in the sun reads much higher than the temperature. This works because the sun is high in the sky most of the dayClick image for larger version

Name:	20180913_095717.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	177606