Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19   #16

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
"Some carry small bread makers"

On Roaring Girl, that'll be Pip.

Why use the power and storage when you can do without. OTOH, we have found yeast very difficult to buy in Italy and have had to stock up in the UK.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01   #17

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Thinking along the " fresh" lines..

Fruits and vegetable are tough....greens are not going to hold up....white cabbage probably has the best shelf life...red cabbage would probably hold up well too

Some root vegetables like Squash..would have a decent shelf life..spaghetti squash, acorn squash come to mind. Potatos, sweet potatos, Turnips, beets..Onions..Sun Dried tomatos..radishes, carrots... hold up well...

Costco has big bags of dried mixed fruit that I use. ( raisons, bananas, pineapple, apriocots, etc etc) .and then I add nuts and other goodies to make my own trail mix.....I know you said no dried apricots, or prunes...but the mixed bag is great and holds up well......Raisons, Craisons...

It might sound crazy...but if you absolutely crave fresh veggies....you could try bringing a tomato plant with you...grow some fresh sprouts...too...

I don't know if you can get 17 days without having to resort to freeze-dried or canned etc...but if you're creative...you can get pretty far...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Breadmaker on board a yacht, brilliant idea, thanks folks

That will save Viv hours of work

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:05   #19

I'd highly recommend packit gourmet for freeze dried meals. I know they do a "ramen rescue" vegie add in as well. Not sure about their freeze dried vegies in particular but I ordered a couple of boxes worth of meals from them (about 40 all up) as part of my 3 month menu system and so far they've been.. well much better then anything i can cook myself.

Special highlights are the buttermilk buiscuits with texas cream gravy and the polenta scrapple. Also had a market pasta puttanasca (which has lots of vegies) and was definately a good meal.

I've also got a bunch of herbs(including chives) growing in a well lit area(velcroed down) and getting a sprout kit shortly.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 13:33   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Breadmaker on board a yacht, brilliant idea, thanks folks

That will save Viv hours of work

Pete
Yes, in the marina, offshore you need a decent inverter to run it, and some electricity too!

Our way:
- mix the dough (5 minutes),
- let it grow (30 minutes),
- bake your bread in the LPG galley's oven (30-40 minutes).

Note that the actual preparation time is scarce 10 minutes - the 'growing' and baking do not need your effort nor attention.

We use granulated baker's yeast. If unavailable, we buy beer yeast from the 'healthy food' stores or pharmacies.

We also experimented with using yesterday's dough (dried) to make today's yeast (and then spare some of today's to have yeast tomorrow). It works and can be practiced if no yeast available. But then again it is also possible to grow your own yeast from fruit peels, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:08   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Look for a foccacia recipe too. They just have one rise in a large saucepan (etc) and then flatten out onto whatever shape flat thing fits in your oven, rise once more and shove it in!

It makes excellent sandwiches, great for sundowners cut into small strips, and wonderful for pizza bases!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:24   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The Mormons have a requirement to keep an emergency cache of food for I think a year period. If you know any of them, ask them where they got their stash from. We bought a variety of dried foods in large cans when we left for SoPac. Some like dried cheddar cheeze, tomatos, onions, and green peppers were really great for making sauces and adding to a variety of basic ingredietns. Their desert mix, made from powdered dried apples, dried beef, and others were less desirable. If you can find someone that stocks a lot of this stuff they will probably have samples for you to try. Highly reccomend that.

Haven't tried the prepared freeze dried foods that are sold in camp stores. They were a bit pricey when we've checked into them. Carried canned foods like chili, hash, stew, etc if we were looking for prepared foods.

Amount of water needed to be added was not a problem for us. Turn off the pressure water system and you'll be amazed how far your water will go.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:33   #23

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Foccacia is great! very versatile

I make Irish Soda bread....no yeast...under 5 minutes of prep and pop it in the oven....

Flour, baking soda, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, milk or buttermilk..( can use powdered) ...Raisons....or..my new thing...Craisons..
Old 04-01-2010, 17:59   #24

Regarding the fresh veggies, they keep for a long time if they're still growing... The tomatoes mentioned above might be a challenge but you can have a potted veggie garden which takes up little space - lettuces, basil, carrots, radishes, herbs etc. will all grow and keep you fed for a few weeks across the pacific. Easy to keep in a multihull - a bit more challenge in a mono to stop the dirt flying around I guess.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:03   #25

Boat: Bristol 38.8
There are some outstanding dried soups, starting with the Alessi line of Italian soups.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:03   #26

Boat: Island Packet 349
I ate Moutain House products referenced above. They are surprisingly tasty. They have two types of packaging: plastic bags, and metal cans. The cans are said to last up to 30 years. The best prices at the time I was buying it were at Karst Sports online store.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 15:10   #27

dried veggies

I use dried foods supplied by Walton Inc. under the Rainy Day Foods brand. I have not tried all their products,some that I tried and liked are split peas,cabbage,celery, carrots,onions,chedder cheese, tomato powder. They pack in both #10 and 2.5 cans--I do not recall if they pack in other size cans. I like tomato powder and chedder cheese powder in #2.5 cans because it is not necessary to store open as long as if was a #10 can. I feel these are good products to have on hand--in the last year shipping costs have gone up and it may be cheaper to buy products local. The fact that I like their products makes it possible for me to "bite the bullet" on shipping.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 15:55   #28

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Canned bacon? I remember it when I was a teenager but can no longer find it anymore. Anyone know where to get any?
Warren
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:00   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
Canned bacon? I remember it when I was a teenager but can no longer find it anymore. Anyone know where to get any?
Warren
Brinkman's Turkey Farms: Producers of Canned Meats

Don't leave home without it!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:11   #30

Boat: islandpacket
canned bacon

Yoder's Canned Bacon