Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 08:42   #1
35S

pirate Deep Fryer For A Yacht

Hi there.

I am new to the forum and in process of purchasing a multi.

I also diddle with a spot of cooking.

Spending a lot of time on the water enables one to easily catch squid at night. And of the many ways I can cook fish - deep frying does have its place on my menu. So a deep fryer is going to be on board for starters for the both of them.

I had just wondered if a say 8 - 10 cup deep fryer has ever been developed for the yachting industry, that can be used when conditions allow, but with a lid that can seal once the oil is cooled - so that if rough weather is encountered, no oil spills from the fryer where ever it is stowed after use.

It would be much easier to leave the oil for the number of recommended uses in the fryer than decanting the oil every time when it has cooled.
35S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: DEEP FRYER FOR A YACHT

There is some very helpful information on the EXACT question which you pose... Happy T Day!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-133319.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 10:22   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

I suggest spending some time on that new boat underway and in rough sea conditions before you decide that deep frying on a pitching boat is a good idea.

All boats are compromises and unless you're talking about a 50' trawler, I would say not having a deep fryer on board is one of those compromises.

Just picture in your mind several quarts of 375 degree oil spilling out and running all over the place. Just picture what happens to a person standing nearby when this happens.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

FIRE
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 11:33   #5
35S

deep fryer for a yacht

I respectfully point out - for those who have replied to my post, and thank you for your valued input – to consider 7 words of my one and only post on this forum (prior to this reply) - “that can be used when conditions allow” ,as in when @nchor or #longside or conditions allow!! If I wanted to torch my yacht with a Second World War flame thrower and asked for an input about such notion ........?
Old 27-11-2014, 11:48   #6

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Deep Fryer For A Yacht

I would think the smaller deep fryers would all be electric. Why not just buy a pressure cooker pot and designate it as a deep fryer. Just seal the lid and your oil would be secure. You would be able to fry faster actually using the pressure cooker, that is the way KFC does it.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 12:04   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Most of us have an immediate negative reaction to the idea of deep fryers on board.
Very high power consumption relative to the cooking output. This is true if it is direct fired on your stove or electric. The other issues revolve around what happens on that calm evening when a discourteous boater lays a big wake on your pot of hot fat. The hazard to the vessel and possible burns to the crew make it a prohibited device on our boat. I also would not want to deal with the storage and disposal of the used oil. If you are frying fish, it will stink. You will also be bound to have fat spatter inside of the cabin, coating the walls, floor, ceiling. I would rather get my fried food fix at a restaurant where the mess & expense is not mine.

This exact topic was discussed at length on CF recently. You might look for the thread.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 12:21   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: deep fryer for a yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35S View Post
I respectfully point out - for those who have replied to my post, and thank you for your valued input – to consider 7 words of my one and only post on this forum (prior to this reply) - “that can be used when conditions allow” ,as in when @nchor or #longside or conditions allow!! If I wanted to torch my yacht with a Second World War flame thrower and asked for an input about such notion ........?

What I think you are not understanding is that these experienced sailors are saying that the "when conditions allow" situation will NEVER be guaranteed, even at anchor, and the downside possibilities are so severe that the risk is unacceptable.

If you are not willing to accept this advice, why did you ask?

Jim
Old 27-11-2014, 17:48   #9

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Just be aware a wake can happen anytime from an irresponsible boat going by more than 1/2 mile away. Just find a way to really secure it, try to keep oil level as low as you can. Good luck.
------------------

... I have to add this for what its worth... I believe every one of us has ignored recommendations/ out right warnings from experienced cruisers that have been in this game for years/ decades. And maybe we got away with it the first or multiple times. But almost always, usually at the worst possible time, and maybe not us but someone we love standing at the wrong place or time... finally experienced why that recommendation/ warning was sincerely made... and someone has the scars, stitches, lost finger tip, no eye brows, ... to mark the day that WE learned what others before us where trying to tell us. After 4 or 5 of these tough/ sometimes very painful learning experiences we finally start embracing the wealth of wisdom that has collectively come from the thousands that got these scars, stitches, lost fingers & eyebrows before us.

While in the Caribbean a new liveaboard that had a bad infestation of roaches aboard ignored the tried and proven treatment and instead went to hardware store and purchased a quick-fix bug spray 'bomb.' You chick the nozzle to let all the contents slowly spray out while you close up the boat and stay out of it for 8 hours or a day. Well it didn't take that long. The propellant in the bug spray was a propane variant and an hour later his boat... while he was still sitting up on the cabin... blew up/ sunk and threw him unconscious 100 feet face down in the water. Got rig of the roaches his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 19:38   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
.............what happens on that calm evening when a discourteous boater lays a big wake on your pot of hot fat. .
Yes! That's part of the reason I suggested spending some time on the boat before deciding on a deep fat fryer. Anchored, even in a marina, your boat is subject to unexpected waves or wakes.

Life is too short to make all the mistakes ourselves. That's why we are supposed to learn from others.
Old 27-11-2014, 19:40   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35S View Post
I had just wondered if a say 8 - 10 cup deep fryer has ever been developed for the yachting industry,
..No..
Old 27-11-2014, 21:36   #12

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
I would think the smaller deep fryers would all be electric. Why not just buy a pressure cooker pot and designate it as a deep fryer. Just seal the lid and your oil would be secure. You would be able to fry faster actually using the pressure cooker, that is the way KFC does it.
In regards to a deep fryer, I think a pressure cooker would be a great idea. As mentioned, just do your cooking and then seal it up with the lid when finished.

Having said that, whatever way you decide to do it try to find a way to absolutely not do it inside the cabin but out on the deck somewhere. As you know, you are going to get oil everywhere no matter how hard you try not to. I won't go into the cleanliness, slipping or fire issues that will pop up. A good experiment for you would be to start making soups or stews on a regular basis so you can see what everyone is talking about in regards to hot liquids, especially in the confines of a cabin/galley.

So if you have to have one (I admit that even though I am stuffed from Thanksgiving dinner right now, a mess of fresh caught squid fried in tempura batter sounds quite appealing at the moment!) think about being able to have it in a fixed mount outside and the pot also clamped to the burner. Then when it is flat calm and you are cooking and some waves or other motion comes up you can slap the lid on it quickly until it calms down. It can be fixed with wing nuts or similar so you can remove it and stow when not in use. Or get a regular small turkey fryer and just keep it for cooking on the dock or on the beach.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 21:50   #13

Boat: Rinker 24

Darn you, now I can't stop thinking about this!

Looks like squid is going to have to be on the menu in the next couple of weeks.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 23:25   #14
35S

Thank you everybody for the warnings and advices.
Old 28-11-2014, 00:55   #15

Boat: 40' cat

The extra weight of a deep fryer, plus oil, plus oil for changes would be a killer on a cat. Plus the power consumption would limit use to shore power or generator.

bottom line is probably not practical even before you get to the oil spill risk and fire risk. Unless you are talking about getting a really big cat, then go for it!
catcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht