Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 18:11   #61

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
A couple years ago I rowed and sailed across the interconnected lakes of Sweden with a gregarious group of locals. Prior to the ten day adventure, I stopped off at the state-controlled liquor store and bought a case of 1 liter bottles of Havana Club Anejo (well aged and mellow). Each night, sitting around the campfire, we passed a bottle around and told stories, sang bawdy Swedish folksongs, and enjoyed the effects of good rum on sore muscles and uncooperative weather and wind. It reminded me of the healthful effects of good alcohol. I also learned a lot of Swedish, and the locals started speaking a form of intelligible English. Drink the rum, then try the local rums elsewhere and report back. Now there's a worthy homework assignment.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 19:36   #62

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
. It reminded me of the healthful effects of good alcohol. .
Well, Castro has managed to hang around through 10 U.S Presidents..

I might have to start drinking Havana Club and Smoke a few cigars...
Old 01-02-2009, 19:41   #63

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Well, Castro has managed to hang around through 10 U.S Presidents..

I might have to start drinking Havana Club and Smoke a few cigars...
Lol... aye!

WARNING : 'Only to be used for health reasons as part of a relaxed lifestyle.'

Old 01-02-2009, 20:05   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Distilleries sell rum in 2-gallon size? (8 liter?)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 20:12   #65

lol... u really should read the thread before posting man(but to be fair I often don't read the whole thing either).
No, though I hope they do, and that was one of my original questions, but the current thoughts are to buy and fill up a plastic container or barrel and fill it up with rum to stop breakages at sea and for less stowage space....
Old 01-02-2009, 21:53   #66

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
In theory, I like the idea. I REALLY like it, the idea of having gallons of rum at my disposal...

But ya gotta listen to Pblais and Hud, as much of a buzkill as they may be. The best bet would be to cruise with enough rum to get ya to port, then sample and sample the local libations... and repeat. Don't even get in to the hassels of worrying about and dealing with customs. If rum costs ya a little more on the other islands, then so be it. You'll make up for it in peace o' mind.

IMHO...

Cheers

Bill
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36   #67

Hehehe.... You assume they'll be rum left when I get to port....
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42   #68

Here's the most recent customs info I found:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonsite.com View Post
Customs

Firearms and ammunition must be declared. If staying less than three days they can be kept on board, otherwise must be bonded by the authorities in each island until departure.
Alcohol and tobacco products must be declared.
Yachts may remain for 6 months, extendable to a year without paying duty. Time during which the boat is left in dry-storage while the crew is out of the country can be exempted from counting towards the year's stay if prior arrangements are made with customs. Boatyards and marinas may have arrangements with customs to that effect.
It is reported that a new cruising permit (to replace the actual import duty - "papetisation") may soon be introduced. Currently, those boats staying over 1 year in any 2 year period are subjected to customs importation tax (15 to 37% of the assessed value of the vessel).
The import of plants and grains is forbidden. Recently, the transport of fruits between the islands in the Marquesas has begun to be controlled as they have started to have problems with some fruit flies. Check with the local agriculture inspection when landing. Yachts coming from the western Pacific, such as Fiji, Tonga or the Cooks, may have to be fumigated. On arrival they should anchor off and clear formalities before tying to the quay.
Bringing in spare parts/equipment: French custom law requires that a special custom's approved agent be used in order to deal with them. Except for parcels having a value inferior to about 150 US$, one must go through an agent and pay their fee (even if one is using companies such as Fedex, DHL). In the past the customs at Faaa airport were more tolerant of visiting yachts but it appears now the law is being more rigorously applied, even to French yachts.
Last updated November 2008.

And with a French passport, they'll probably take it easier on me.
I may also re-register the boat in France.
Old 02-02-2009, 13:05   #69

Anyone who's a fan of rum and wants to debate the qualities of various brands, share recipes etc. can join the 'Rum n Fun' group at - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...m+and+fun.html
Old 02-02-2009, 13:57   #70

Never really drink shorts, but I think next Friday in the pub, after reading all this and looking at the 'Rum n fun' group, I must have a rum.

Jaz which is the best and the one I should ask for in a UK pub, Captain Morgan, Lambs or what.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 14:16   #71

Man... if you never really had straight rum before Capt Morgans Spiced on the rocks is a good place to start!
Most pubs have it.
Weatherspoons actually has some quite exotic and over-proof rum's at really good prices too.
Old 02-02-2009, 14:23   #72

Its quite sweet, so the ice helps water it down a bit... If thats too sweet then try something like Mount Gay Black(if your lucky enough to find it!), Capt Morgans Regular, or Lambs... all quite dark rums. Darker generally = richer taste. If thats not your thing try the lighter ones...
And if you decide to do all that on one day, make sure you got someone to remind you which way home is!!
:P
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20   #73

Jaz,
I know it sounds stupid but at 52 I have never had dark rum and the white stuff ie Bacardi only once, this Friday I will have some and give you my verdict.
By the way, a little bit of useless information about Weatherspoons, the guy who owns it Tim Martin lives about 2 miles from me, I don't know him, but the reason why Weatherspoons is called so is as follows:
When he left school at 16 his headmaster said to him that as he was so useless (not thick but you know just couldn't be bothered sort of thing) , he would never make anything of himself, Martin is now worth over £100 million and his headmaster was called, 'J.D.Weatherspoon' - nice twist.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07   #74

Lol... yea, just goes to show. a little determination can get you alot further than any degree... And experience counts for even more!
You got to give the dark stuff a go! The white really isn't comparable IMO...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53   #75

Well Jaz,

Last night after my first beer I tried a Captain Morgans - neat - I hate whisky and brandy, but I have to agree with you for a spirit it was not bad, a drink that I could happily drink, much much smoother than whisky etc.
My friends said that there are a lot nicer rums than Captain Morgans, so next pub I will try another and report back to the expert.

Cheers
Ian

Tags
rum