Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 07:16   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cruising without refrigeration

Chickens I believe only have one hole, it’s called a cloaca. And yes if the nose gear on an AH-64 collapsed, I’d be very concerned
Yes if you cook the egg it will kill Salmonella, that is why I said best to treat anything that has come into contact with raw eggs as contaminated.

Chicken meat also can be contaminated with Salmonella, that is why the FDA says don’t wash it, for fear of spreading the contamination.
Chicken and everything related to chicken is pretty nasty really.
https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/chicken.html
Yes you can get it from lettuce etc, anything actually that can be contaminated with feces that contain Salmonella.
However your also likely to contract Hepatitis from vegetables, I may have on a trip to Ecuador, likely by eating a hamburger with lettuce.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:19   #77

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cruising without refrigeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Chickens I believe only have one hole, it’s called a cloaca.

Jeepers. You are right. I was wrong. That's disturbing at an aesthetic level.

I still like chicken and eggs. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:33   #78

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Yep, I've gotten salmonella from chicken (working food service), but not eggs. We frequently see unwashed eggs that have a bit of cleanup needed before cracking. In the DR we saw washed unrefrigerated eggs. While we keep fresh farm eggs, unwashed and unrefrigerated, at room temperature, they do keep better old. After a week the yolks of unrefrigerated eggs become fragile.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 11:09   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Birds are just nasty, at least to me, it’s that simple.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 13:52   #80

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Birds are just nasty, at least to me, it’s that simple.

Even though birds are a big food source down here, there are cattle (brahma) everywhere. There are 2 carnicerias in town that have a side of beef hanging up and cut some off for you. There is a boat that comes around to all the marinas twice a week. She can deliver frozen fish, cow and pig. Serious meat eaters go to the city and get a big load of high quality frozen meat.
I know of only one gringo refer tech guy, but it turns out there are a bunch of locals who could also fix your system when all that frozen stuff starts to melt.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 01:57   #81

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I’ve done three transatlantics, one with refrigeration on a floating hotel and two without on my 40’ cutter. If you know how to provision your boat, refrigeration is totally unnecessary.
Knowing how to provision one's boat is best informed by what any particular sailor or sailors like to eat or not eat and how long they are prepared to alter their land based diet, if at all. It is a very personal thing and there is no magic formula for ultimate provisioning.

Refrigeration is a luxury but no more so, on a modern sailboat, than dacron sails, synthetic lines and an engine. In a list of priorities I would put these three ahead of refrigeration but I am quite happy to have refrigeration on board

Food safety is an important consideration and again, what we like to eat helps inform how we handle food safely. My work history has included long periods (multi years) of living in the developing world where refrigeration and food handling practices are sometimes deficient as noted in other posts. I have had typhoid and amoebic dysentery, the first probably contracted from ice and the second from a salad. Either would be particularly problematic and possibly fatal on a long or even short passage. Neither would be prevented by refrigeration but both would be less likely to occur if safe food handling practices are effectively used.
Old 30-09-2019, 10:22   #82

I coastal cruised in a 33 sans refrigeration for almost a year while making my way to San Blas but regularly sought out fresh fruits, veg and the cold beverage so necessary on hot windless days in the southern carribean! I was single handing and at that time, cave manning appealed to me. Now with wife and son, no, we need creature comforts and the ability to store fresh and frozen foods. YMMV, suerte
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, refrigeration