Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 12:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cruising Cuisine

Is anyone interested in launching a Cruising Cuisine thread,
wherein we’d collect cruiser-friendly recipes?
No galley chitchat, nor tips & comments - just recipes.
Might develop into a great resource for us all.
Watchathink ?
Gord

OK Rick I (Vasco) has started us off with his genuine Bahamian "Peas 'n Rice" (one of my favourites).
I'm going to move the recipes to a new folder - just recipes please.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Peas and Rice, Party Size

Rick's Genuine Bahamian Peas and Rice Party Size
This'll cook enough for about 20 people

2tablespoons oil
6 ozs backfat
2 med onions, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 15 oz cans pigeon peas
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
6 cups converted rice
11 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
optional 2 tablespoons dried chicken stock powder

Render backfat in dutch oven with the oil.
Add onion and fry to slightly brown.
Stir in green pepper and garlic and saute till soft.
Add tomato paste and pigeon peas and cook a few minutes.
Add water and bring to boil.
Stir in rice and thyme.
Return to boil, then stir, cover, and reduce heat to low simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 10-11-2005, 15:04   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Kwisine

Beer, plonk or Newfie screach, Spam and tomatoe sandwhiches, with butter and bread that have absorbed diesel fumes.
Can of peaches for desert. Burp.
In NZ you can get canned spaggetti. Double burp. Lovely cold when the @#$%^&*! cooker want work.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 19:18   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
barbecue pizza

Since my wife (then girlfriend) returned from a trip to Europe, she had been raving about European-style pizza. On our honeymoon, I too became hooked on the simple, yet delectable 'pizza marguerita'. For those who don't know, this type of pizza has an extremely thin crust, almost like a cracker, and sparse toppings - a marguerita pizza has a smear of tomato sauce, fresh basil and buffalo-milk mozzarella. With this pizza, less is more. Back in North America, we found it impossible to find, even in specialty bistros that touted authentic wood-fired brick pizza ovens. So we decided if you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself. This coincided with a kitchen renovation, during which we were doing all of our cooking on the barbecue. We had bought a pizza stone so we could cook store-bought pre-made pizzas on the barbecue, then decided that we could just make them from scratch. We search the internet for "thin crust pizza" recipes, found many and experimented. Even though we've long sinced finished the kitchen, we still prefer to make our pizzas this way.

A pizza stone is vital as it absorbs moisture, so you get a nice, crisp crust. You can find them in most kitchen stores and Walmart. If you can't find one in more exotic locales, you might be able to find a potter who can make a custom stone - it's just an unglazed stoneware disk, smooth on top and about 1 cm thick. If you get one made, size it to leave about an inch gap around it, so your bar-b-q vents properly and you can get your fingers or tongs in to remove it. It's important also that you can still close your lid.

This recipe was found on the internet (credit Robbie Haf) and modified slightly for this. As written, it makes a North American thin crust pizza. For European proportions, divide it in half and make two 12-inch pizzas. I wouldn't suggest doing a thick crust or pan pizza this way as it will likely burn on the bottom and be uncooked in the middle.

For authentic pizza marguerita (or margherita), use a minimal amount of tomato sauce, use coarsely-chopped fresh basil (cooked on the pizza) and fresh mozzarella. It's difficult to find 'buffalo-milk' mozzarella, so we use bocconcini.

Prep. Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 Pizza
.25 oz. pkt. active dry yeast (2 tsp)
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree(F) water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
pizza sauce - of your choice, as needed
shredded cheese - of your choice, as needed
toppings - of your choice, as needed

-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes.
-In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
-Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle.
-Place dough on the pizza stone and stretch dough to edges.
-If desired, rub 1 tsp olive oil over surface of pizza dough
-Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
-Bake in a pre-heated, covered barbecue at high temperature for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.
-Transfer pizza to a wooden cutting board (leave the stone to cool on the b-b-q), and enjoy!

Kevin

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 11:24   #5

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Coconut Shrimp

This is a very easy one to put together although prep takes some time.:

1 or 2 lbs of shrimp (no particular type) peeled and deveined
One each red, green, yellow or orange bell peppers
1 cup of fresh cilantro
1 small yellow onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Red pepper to taste
1 can cream of coconut
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup shredded fresh coconut
1 cup white or yellow rice
juice of 3 fresh limes

Start by chopping onions, garlic, bell peppers and cilantro. Saute onions and garlic in oil in a medium to large sauce pan over meduim heat. Once the onion is lightly cooked throw in your peppers. I don't like them mushy so watch how long you cook them. Sprinkle in about half of the cilantro in and add shrimp. Follow this with the lime juice and red pepper. Cook the shrimp until the just start to turn pink. Add half a can of coconut creme and half of the milk, stir and simmer until the shrimp are cooked about 5 mins. Garnish your plates with the shredded coconut and the remaining cilantro. Place the desired amount of rice on the plate and spoon over the shrimp and sauce. Happy cooking!
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 05:24   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Five Minute fudge

Easy to make no excessive mixing, temp measuring etc.

Ok get that heavy bottomed pot hot, then keep it on low heat.

Into the pot dump one package of chocolate chips, stir , then dump on packet of butterscotch chips, stir,
one tin of condensced milk, stire
one teaspoon of vanilla, stir

once all is melted, ( about five minutes)

spoon onto the dish you want to serve it from, cool for 30 minutes
enjoy.

you can add nuts, fruit or decorations at the end of the cooking
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 05:25   #7

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Ok I hope you all can read past the typlexia in the previous post. Sheesh. does anyone need a translation?
Sorry folks
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 08:59   #8
Kai Nui

No problem for me Witchcraft! Great idea, but I think I got a couple of cavaties just reading the recipe
Old 29-12-2005, 09:26   #9

Recipes From Florida Dept of Ag

Folks, this is the most comprehensive list of seafood recipes I have ever seen. Can't wait to try them.

http://www.florida-agriculture.com/r...food/index.htm

Old 19-01-2006, 17:12   #10

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
We had two other couples to come aboard for dinner and a night time cruse a few weeks ago. We had flounder filets baked in the oven for about 35 to 40 min. Season the fish with Cajon seasoning and Carribean jerk, lemon, butter and a little salt and pepper. While this was in the oven, made up a nice tossed salad and then sautéed some Crab met in lemon and butter. In a sauce pan put in a bag of Green-G frozen green peas and corn w-butter sauce. Took the flounder out and covered them with sautéed Crab met and returned to oven for the last 5 min. Whipped up a béarnaise sauce to drizzle over the fish. Served a great pina colado for desert. Put half gallon vanilla ice cream in blinder, one 6oz can pineapple juice, 6oz of Malabo Coconut Rum. Blend until smooth. Now some of you guy's may not like what I am about to say but here goes. I do not let my wife in the kitchen unless I am at the helm and it is time for lunch. I do all the cooking, and yes I even do the dishes. With that being said, I enjoy being in the galley on my boat
Old 19-01-2006, 20:51   #11

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Flounder Bill

You forgot to add your location.
We used to go spear flounder in Manakau Harbour in NZ.
Usually after a few beers and then go out late at night. Need a Coleman lantern, the bright ones with the mantle, a spear amd a sack. In water no deeper than you waist, you can see them on the bottom. Poke with the spear and put in bag. A bit scary when you step on one, even more scary when you fall over and the light goes out, or you step off the deep end. Real bugger swimming back in the dark. The street lights used to go out at one am, and all the house lights would be out, and you forgot to ask Reggies dad to leave a light on. And the clouds blocked the Southern Cross so we was lost. But most times the plan worked and we had heeps of fish.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 20:15   #12

When I make baked potatoes I try to make a few extra. This comes in handy for a lot of different meals. If you cut up 1 or 2 and put in a deep pan with a little oil and then some onion and what else tickles your fancy (mushrooms, cheese, green peppers, olives, bacon, sausage, or leftover meat) and warm them, add a couple of eggs, enough to make everything stick together, you can add what ever spices or salsa you want. Then either put in any bread or roll up in a tortilla for an easy to handle warm meal.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15   #13

Here is another link to some interesting recipes. http://www.sailinglinks.com/galley.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47   #14

Hey SailWiz.

That's a very nice weblink. You've posted here. Thanks!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 21:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have been trying to get my wife to jot down a few of her recipies on here. She's been a bit nervouse about posting, but I think she is easing in.
Anyways, she can cook, I mean really cook on the boat. Actually she can do not tooo bad job at home,(I gained three stone in the first year of marraige) but there just seems to be a big step up when she is on the boat. She even said one day, isn't it strange how food seems to tast so much better on the boat. I said that's because the food "IS" so much better on the boat.
Anyways, I'll see what I can do.
Only negative about the good food on the boat, I have to go on some good hard bush walks often.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote