Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2006, 22:52   #16

Hey Wheels.

You're not alone in that department!!

Hey. I'm already at my 513th post. Shoot I better grab a beer. And celebrate my 500th post!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:56   #17
Kai Nui

My wife is also an exceptional cook. We have made decisions to purchase and not purchase boats based soley on the galley. I agree that food always tastes better on the boat, but then again, it is either restaruant food or food on the boat home cooked.

Old 02-02-2006, 22:58   #18

Food cooked at home is cheaper. Than dining out at a restaruant often!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2006, 23:14   #19
Kai Nui

Not always true. I can buy dinner at McDonalds allot cheaper than The ingredients for a good dinner. Funny how good tasting food is often cheaper than food that is good for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 23:28   #20

Yeah Kai.

I did not include Mickey D's on my list. Eventhough, that's why I gained the weight I did!!

Hint Hint?

Old 02-02-2006, 23:39   #21

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
The admiral is a professional chef (and a damn good one) and has been making less than subtle hints about me doing most of the cooking. Not really a problem, I enjoy the creative side and can always call out to the cockpit for a bit of advice.
I have to admit to stretching my creativity and showing off to her with my kitchen prowess when we first got together. Obviously it worked.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 23:45   #22
Kai Nui

I can't cook a lick. It's canned beans and crackers.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it
Old 02-02-2006, 23:46   #23

Well hey pwederell.

I bet that made your wife very happy. That you too can cook.

Think about it. Some wives think about what would happen if they get hospitalized. How will this affect thier family & husband etc. What will they eat.

Back in the good ole days. Before there was all this fast food junk. Food was mainly cooked in a kitchen at home. Some places had eatries. But, just like today. You had to budget yourself accordingly. Depending at where you go to eat at?

But that's really great that the both of you can cook. That's great!!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:30   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
McD's is cheaper than buying food??? Not here. Mate it's damn expensive for something that you can get more nutrition from the paper napkin. Here, you can go to a food vendor, (we would call it a Fish and Chip shop) and buy a custom made Burger of just about anything you ask for. It may cost NZ$4.50-6.00 at the most and be ten times bigger that a big mack. You can actually feel full after a "real" burger and they have all the good for you stuff inside. Sigh, still the McD's and Bking and so on's drive throughs still remain full.
As for Kentucky fried, I don't think we need to worry about getting Avian flu from them. I swear it ain't chicken.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 19:22   #25
Kai Nui

Luv fish n chips, and a build it yourself burger is definately better than McD's. NZ just gets better all the time
As for cost, you cn get a McD's grease burger large fries and 16 oz soda for under $5 American. With cheap steaks at $8 per pound at the local grocery, It really is hard to beat the price.
Old 03-02-2006, 21:10   #26

When I visited England back in 1990.

One of the first things I did. Was ordered me some fiah n chips !!

On the second day. I went to a Pizza Hut.

Let me tell you this much. That pizza was damn good. Especially, if it's your first one in over 4 months!!

Old 03-02-2006, 21:12   #27

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Eat more

There is a burger joint a mile or two back into the jungle from Paihia in the Bay of Islands that makes the best burger in the world. That according to my brother. I have been there to check it out, and I tend to agree with him. You can get a burger in NZ with beetroot and a fried egg. In Auckland they have the " White Ladies of The Night " These are burger joints on wheels. Trailers for the North American folks. You will find them at the kurb late at night, to feed the hungry on their way home.
Michael
Old 07-02-2006, 00:57   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have decided to share a few of my receipes I have tried recently on the boat, the first two are main dishes and the last one can be a good lunch dish or you could use it as a main. Please try them. Bear in mind this is Kiwi language/ingredients:

BEEF AND MUSHROOM HASHBROWN SLICE
Ingredients
1-2 tbsp oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 tsp minced garlic
250g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
500g lean beef mince
420g can Watties Condensed Vegetable Soup (or any brand)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
pepper
500g box Wattie's Hash Browns ( or any brand)

TOPPING
1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs ( I use packet Breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup grated Cheese

Methond

1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, gently fry onions and garlic until softened, add the mushrooms and fry until lightly browned.

2. In a bowl, combine lean beef mince, Watttie's Condensed Vegetable Soup, parsley, cooked onion mixture and season with pepper.

3. Place Wattie's Hash Browns in a single layer, in a shallow 2 litre capacity lasagne-style dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the hash browns, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese.

4. Cook at 190oC for about 50-60 minutes or until cooked through and very hot. ( I use the microwave at this stage for 15 min, check to see if this requires a little extra time).

CREAMY SUN DRIED TOMATO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS

Ingredients
4 Tegel Fresh Chicken skinless single breast fillets (or any brand)
150 g pottle Tararua Sundried Tomato Cream Cheese Spread ( unsure if this is available overseas)
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 onion, peeled and chopped
400g can Wattie's Chopped Tomatoes with Green Capsicum
1/2 cup white wine, chicken stock or water

GARNISH
Chopped fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese

Method

1. Cut a small pocket in the thick side of each Tegel chicken breasts. Spread an equal amount of Tararua Sun Dried Tomato Cream Cheese Spread into each pocket. Divide spinach leaves evenly among the chicken. Secure the openings with toothpicks.

2. Pan fry the chicken breast in a moderately hot, lightly oiled lidded frying pan for 4 minutes each side. Set aside. ( I do not have a lidded fry pan and seems to work Okay)

3. Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender. Stir in the Wattie's Chopped Tomatoes with Green Capsicums and wine or stock. Return the chicken to the frying pan, cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes or until tender and well cooked. ( Once again I use the microwave for this stage. Put in a suitable microwave dish cover and cook on high power for 10-15 minutes).

Serve with pasta, garnished with the basil and grated parmesan cheese.

I haven't bothered about the pasta I have served this with new potatoes from our garden, and this is just as nice.

CHICKEN WEDGES WITH TOMATO MEXICAN DIP

Ingredients
800g packet Tegel Chicken Wedges (or any brand)
4-6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
400g can Watttie's Medxican Spiced Tomatoes ( or any brand)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsps sour cream
1-2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley or coriander.

Method
1. Scatter the frozen Tegel Chicken Wedges on baking paper and bake according to the directions on the packet.

2. In a saucepan cook the spring onions and cumin seed or ground cumin in a dash of oil until fragrant. Stir in the Wattie's Medxican Style Tomatoes. Stir in the sour cream or creme fraiche and coriander or parsley.

Serve the wedges with the Mexican Dip.

Those are just a few of some of the receipes I have cooked on Leisure Lady. Ask Wheels what his comments are.

Have a go and please try out the above receipes.

Happy Cooking

Mrs Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29   #29

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Damn, I'm looking forward to getting home to some NZ comfort food.
For those of you from the US (and possibly other places) hash browns (as mentioned in Dawn's recipe above) are served in patty form in NZ. I embarrassed myself on the breakfast line down here a few weeks ago by claiming "these aren't real hash browns". I was quickly shot down in flames by the more culturally aware.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 00:15   #30

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
Try this one. Served this past Friday night on board the Zack "C". I had picked up these bacon wrapped flea’s that you can buy that are packed two to the package and allowed two per person. Put enough VOO in my cast iron skillet and heated to a high temp. While pan is heating up I seasoned the beef with black pepper, garlic powder, dash and Worcestershire sauce. Went to the stores locker and broke out a can of potatoes and cut them into bite size pieces. I know, you are thinking "can potatoes". Believe me if you did not see me do it you would think that I had a bag of new potatoes, peeled them and cooked them. With all this ready I sear the beef for a minute or two, and then turn it over and sear the other side, put in the potatoes and reduce heat to simmer and cover. While this is cooking I put some frozen vegetables in a sauce pan and cook along with the beef. When the beef is cooked to your taste put them along with potatoes on individual serving plates. In the skillet put 1/2 cup white wine with drippings. Add 1/3 cup Heinz 57 sauce a heaping table spoon of chopped garlic and a small can of chopped mushrooms. Bring to a boil stirring then reduce heat continuing to stir adding a half stick of butter. Spoon sauce over beef and potatoes. Add the vegetable and bread of you choice. I like to use French bread by putting each piece on cookie sheet, spoon on some melted butter and sprinkle on some cheddar cheese and place in oven just before serving. If it had been a warm night I would have served our famous Zack “ C” Penacalata. But it was on the cool side so after dinner I served hot chocolate with Amrita, a great way to end a great meal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: