Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 19:56   #46

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Cruising Canada to Mexico - Will US Allow Us to Keep Canned Beef Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Does anyone else find it odd that garbage is lumped in with milk, milk products and meat? Having worked in the food processing industry, canned goods are cooked in what is called a Retort at high temp.and pressure, the chances of any pathogens surviving the cooking process are virtually nill. I think that many of these regulations smack of " politics".
No, this turns out not to be the case.
Prions are sub-viral particles which are NOT DESTROYED BY COOKING or usual methods of sterilization which is why they are so problematic. Culling affected animals is the only control. They tend to be slow-onset diseases (some of them take decades to develop signs) and for that reason may be harder to diagnose than the acute onset diseases and the regulations may therefore appear to be excessive or unnecessary. But they are very real risks nevertheless. I have no firm idea of the number of humans likely to have been affected by BSE but I am very pleased that I was not drinking milk or eating beef in the UK during that period. I suggest that a brief Google will give you some indication of the cost of controlling the Foot and Mouth epidemic in the UK. Think what the costs would be in the US. Especially on top of the recent financial disaster. No, I reckon the customs regulations are probably serving you well.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:08   #47

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I am truly amazed, in a good way, of the breadth and depth of knowledge about nasty pathogens on CF. I used to feel pretty good scraping the green stuff off the beef and rinsing it in sea water when we had lost our ice 5 days before. Now I'm not sure why I'm still alive.
I appreciate the info from clearly far more knowledgable folks than me... but getting back to the OP's question, I'd be guided (or misguided as may be the case) by the laws of the country I was trying to enter. Good Luck, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:14   #48

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Having worked in the food processing industry, canned goods are cooked in what is called a Retort at high temp.and pressure, the chances of any pathogens surviving the cooking process are virtually nill.
Except for prions which are nearly indestructible by normal food processing. There is some evidence that processing proteins in a retort may partially denature the disease causing prions, but many not completely eliminate them. It should be remembered that prions are not a normal pathogen in so far as being proteins they are not actually living cells with nucleic acid for reproduction like bacteria.
Old 30-07-2011, 20:19   #49

Astrid, you are scaring the hell out of me! Capt Phil
Old 30-07-2011, 20:20   #50

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

Quote:
Don't forget Cycad disease
Yes I believe that is caused by a neurotoxin produced by blue green algae which can affect the seeds of cycad plants. These seeds are eaten by some species of bats, and in those parts of the world where bats are consumed by humans as food, it is theorized that an infected bat with altered neurological proteins can pass the disease on to humans.
Old 30-07-2011, 20:25   #51

Sorry Phil, I do not mean to come off as an alarmist. It is just something to be aware of and understand, if for no other reason than to explain why some countries have such strict food importation laws. It really is not a matter of politics, but a justifiable desire to preserve the integrity of their native food supplies. Fortunately, as Newt says, infectious prions are rare, at least at the present time.
Old 30-07-2011, 20:57   #52

None taken, Astrid, I don't think you are the alarmist type... part of my comment was tongue in cheek but your comment about sovereign countries trying to preserve integrity of domestic food supplies is very valid.
By the way , my recollection about scraping the green stuff off the beef and rinsing it in salt water before frying it up happened between Skidegate, in the Queen Charlotte's and Bull Harbor towing a black oil barge to Bull Harbor at the top end of Vancouver Isld many years ago before the days of refrigeration. This is an area you know well, I'm sure... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 30-07-2011, 21:39   #53

Hi Phil,

Yes I know that area pretty well, or at least I am getting to know it. Usually the mould which grows on the outside of traditionally salt cured and smoked meats can be washed or scraped off without any ill effects, particularly if then cooked properly (I('m assuming the meat was cured or smoked in some fashion). That was pretty much all they had in the old sailing days. Old style salt pork was packed in barrels of brine, and beef was normally brined and smoked and would last for months or even years. Probably hypertension was a greater danger than getting food poisoning from tainted meat.
Old 30-07-2011, 22:05   #54

Hi back, Astrid... they were steaks that had been sitting on the last of the ice in the on deck ice box when we hit some heavy weather and it was a few days before things settled enough to get cooking regular meals again.
It was some time ago, like in the 60's, but I remember quite vivdly the old skipper saying, 'just scrape off the green and give 'em a good scrub in sea water, then throw 'em on the stove... they'll be fine.' He was an old sea dog off the Atlantic run from Halifax to Britain during WWII but sure taught me a lot about driving boats, navigation and life in general.
We used to get our provisions from the Ferry Meat Market on Powell Street on the Vancouver waterfront... probably long gone now.
As I said... a bloody wonder we lived through those years! Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 30-07-2011, 22:31   #55

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Good point.
Vampires too. They reckon it's even better than garlic.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 12:34   #56

Quote:
We used to get our provisions from the Ferry Meat Market on Powell Street on the Vancouver waterfront... probably long gone now.
It's still there between Hastings and Powell.
Old 31-07-2011, 13:00   #57

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
There is some concern for a person coming down with the diseases. The major concern is it gets into the herds or flocks and then it costs millions of dollars to eradicate it.
Are these measures meant to prevent unscrupulous farmers from feeding their cattle and sheep etc. with tinned meat? Other than that how would these prions end up in the food chain?

I realize that it was once common practice to feed livestock with feed fortified with animal protein derived from slaughter house waste but hasn't this practice been outlawed for a number of years? I would think the risk would be declining over time unless there are still countries using this abhorrent type of feed.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 15:14   #58

WOW! The next time I'm in Vancouver I must drop in and check it out... thanks, Astrid, you made my day. That was many years ago when we used to tie up at the old North Van ferry dock... I will definitely make the effort when I'm up visiting my grandchildren... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 31-07-2011, 15:44   #59

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Canned Beef?? Seriously?? You must mean Spam..no thats pork. I'm sorry but I never even heard of canned beef. Thats why I like CF. You learn something every time you log on.
So are their different cuts of canned beef available ie filet mignon vs ground vs t-bone? Do you BBQ it or what?
Old 31-07-2011, 17:24   #60

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Canned Beef?? Seriously?? You must mean Spam..no thats pork. I'm sorry but I never even heard of canned beef. Thats why I like CF. You learn something every time you log on.
So are their different cuts of canned beef available ie filet mignon vs ground vs t-bone? Do you BBQ it or what?
Fray Bentos corned beef, product of Argentina aka bully beef.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cruising, canada, mexico