Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 16:04   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
coconut chips
great as appertisers

split a mature coconut,remove kernel as intact as possible,slice into thin strips2-3mm
deep fry in cooking oil untill slightly brown,dont over cook as will become bitter.

allow to cool&drain on kitchen towel,salt lightly.
moorish,great with happy hour
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 16:14   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
christophene and green paw paw salad.
remove skin of christophene grate finely till you reach the stone.
remove skin and seeds of green paw paw,slice finely.

dress with honey& mustard dressing

2tbs honey
1tbs english mustard
dash salt generous ground black pepper
50ml olive oil &20ml lemon juice
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 21:39   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
re: repertoire

This is from Ann, not Jim...

Mimsy, a friend of ours who didn't cook at all, found a book called something like "Cooking with Five Ingredients". It was a great get-started book for a cruiser, and he quickly graduated to experimenting with herbs and making company desserts. So I guess it was not too bad!

The Poster who wrote about learning to bake bread was quite right: if you have the heart to put up with the heat from baking, you'll be amazed at the kudos a pair of freshly baked loaves will bring you. And of course, once you've got the hang of yeast baking, then there are lots of baked items for pot lucks. A single hander man brought 2 fresh loaves one time in Mexico, and my, oh my, it was delicious!

Here's a simple focaccia bread:

Ingredients:
3 - 4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pkg. yeast } In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water, let
1 1/2 c. warm, not hot, water } stand 5 min.
2 1/2 c. flour }
1/2 tsp. salt } Add to yeast
2 Tbsp. olive oil }

Beat flour into yeast mix; knead, cover, let rise 45 min. Knead again.
Drizzle 1 T. oil over bottom of a 10 x 15 (or use a 10 x 13, if the larger one
won't fit in your oven). Moosh the dough out into the pan. Drizzle oil over top. Sprinkle with thyme. Dimple top with fingers. Bake at 400 deg . F. 30-35 min.

The variation I like best with this is to very lightly saute 2 small onions, sliced plus 1 large clove of garlic, diced, and sprinkle them over it before dimpling the top. You can add any lightly sauteed veg. or salami, but DON'T make pizza.

Simple dessert: grated coconut and bananas. Slice the bananas and dredge them in grated coconut. It's a finger food sugary playground! Seems to go over quite well -- I was surprised.

There have already been some lovely posts, so I'll stop here. PM me here c/o Jim, if you want more.

All the best,

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Gladstone, Qld., Australia
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17   #64

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Things have changed...

BVI has a new RiteWay that is very much like a large city US Supermarket, full of all the fresh herbs you can think of and a Deli that makes New Yorkers think they are home.

Even St. John has the Starfish Market which is just a short walk away from the docks. Small but all upper scale stuff including a large deli. St Thomas is now full of lots of places, some very near or IN major marinas, such as Crown Bay.
That is not a change. Riteway used to offer a discount to cruisers if you were doing a major provisioning. You had to identify yourself as a cruiser to the management and request the discount before doing your shopping. I do not know if they still offer that discount. BTW, this discount was NOT granted to charter captains, only to real cruisers.

Granted, availability of items has greatly improved in the BVI over the past 25 years. I remember the days of searching all over the BVI for something as simple as a jar of jelly. But you are still talking about only the USVI and BVI. The rest of the Caribbean is totally different when it comes to food selections available for purchase. Those items (fresh mozzarella & fresh basil & baguettes) cannot be found south St. Martin. Most people (other than charterers) who cruise the Caribbean do not limit their cruising to just the USVI and BVI.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44   #65

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
After watching the problems Tomas has caused, and making my reports on StormCarib's network, I needed to do something to take my mind off the storm. Just about an hour before the winds and big gust came up last night I cooked a meal of Leeky Drunken Shrimp. A modification of one of my fav dishes a very good friend makes for me when I visit. This was the first time I had tried to make it myself on da boat. While I never have all the fresh herbs and spices and all the things she puts into it, it turned out really great! NOTE: I did use the Julia Childs Method of Cooking:

My ingredients:
one leeks or is that a leek???
Two bottles of GOOD White Wine
1 pound of cleaned Shrimp, leave tails on
two Garlic Cloves
4 table spoons of Butter
2 table spoons of Red / Yellow or Green Bell Pepper (not all 3)
3 table spoons of Sun Dried Tomatoes
Crusty Bread

Have a full glass of wind to make sure it is GOOD Wine.
Remove the hard parts of the Leek and chop into confetti size pieces, same with the Bell Pepper and Sun Dried Tomatoes
Re test the Wine but only a half glass.
Place Crushed Garlic and butter into sauce pan and melt then add the Leeks, Pepper and Tomatoes. Cook gently until you have finished another half glass of wine
Add a glass of white wine to the veggies
Place the Shrimp on top of the veggies and when the down side turns pink flip them over for about the same time.
Cover the pan and reduce heat. Allow to steam for a minute or so...... have 1/4 glass of wine to measure time

Serve Hot with Crusty Bread to Sop up the fantastic butter wine sauce! OHhh also serve with a nice cool glass of White Wine.

I just love the Julia Chiles Method of cooking!!!!! Everything always seem to taste so much better!

This will normally feed two or three people... or one very hungry Wayward Sailor. Increase amounts of ingredients to fit your needs. You can also add cleaned Black Muscles and Baby Clams for a real eye stunning meal... of course you may need a case of Good White Wine.

After that meal, the 40+ MPH gust and high seas really didn’t bother me!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04   #66

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

"After that meal, the 40+ MPH gust and high seas really didn’t bother me!!! "

As good as the recipe sounds....
After the 40+MPH winds and high seas that meal would have been chum.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:25   #67

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
LOL, it was No Problem