Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 08:46   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Crock Pot - Slow Cooker

This is the best thing going. This is two cooking pots and a well insulated storage vessel. Prepare food in the two pots to a boil. Stack in the insulated vessel and they will stay cooking hot for hours. This requires about 5-10 minutes of propane total.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...OpsJcIPRAPOxyM
Attached Images

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:59   #32

Maybe this gadget would be OK for a large boat that has almost everything.
For smaller boats I can't think of a worse space waster and 12V hog!
Learn to use an old fashioned stove top pressure cooker. You can do everything fast with minimal energy usage. As well you get a heavy pot that can be used for other duties like fry up onions and other hard stuff for a vegetarian chili. Popcorn? add some oil and a layer of oil and a pan top, no need to pressurize, add heat and enjoy fresh popcorn. We've been cruising for 30 years on a 29 and then a 35 - wouldn't be without our pressure cooker!
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 12:29   #33

As the monthly columnist for “Crew’s Mess” in The Triton, I have several Crockpot recipes. I use the original “Crockpot” just as my parents did before me. Slow cooking is great. Put all the ingredients together in the morning., set on low (mine has 4 settings including OFF) and then go about your daily business. By the end of the day, you have a hearty meal waiting for you in the galley (galley sink of underway). Enjoy. JW
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 20:13   #34
byo

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyessy 43 Deck Saloon

I purchased one very similar to this on ebay for around the same money, works great big enough for 2 people and wouldn't be without it now. Electricity consumption not a problem works through a normal cigarette lighter plug, chord does not get hot nor does the outside of the cooker.
byo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 08:41   #35

I'm using the newest model of the Crock-Pot. It has a low and high setting plus settings with 30 minute periods. With a warm feature when the desired time has expired. However I've found that when I fill it about 3/4 full of meat and mixed veggies and yams or potatoes whatever it usually takes 7 hours on slow and 5 hours on high. The good thing is when I get back to my boat at the end of the day the smell is amazing once I step into the Salon and my dinner is ready. It's a 6 qt. model so it cooks enough for 3 meals or 3 servings. The main issue with it is I have to stick around the boat until at least 11 am if I want my dinner ready at 6 pm on the slow mode. I picked up a, plug in programmable digital timer, that you plug into the receptacle and when you plug something into it you can chose the time of day it switches on the outgoing power and when it shuts off. But obviously my programmable slow cooker won't work. So I'm looking for a slow cooker that doesn't have the programmable feature and just an on/off switch, which I would leave in the on position and use the inline timer to regulate when it comes on and shuts off. Or a slow cooker that has a built in clock feature that you can select the time that it actually automatically turns on.
seatotaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 10:41   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hahahahaha as my pressure cooker, a massive 6 qt presto developed a crack in the body and as i rarely if ever used it, i caved at marine swap meet and bought for 400 pesos a stainless steel pressure cooker. hahahahaha is small and convenient if i can ever figure how to remove top..is different. looks like it wants to cook foods for my cats and me.
willbe interesting finding space for storage hahahahaha but i again have one an d less pricey than brand new altho it appears so.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 11:19   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

As alluded to pressure cookers can be dangerous. I would never buy used and it needs to be checked for cracking periodically.

Had one fail and it destroyed a $1000 stove, killed the overhead microwave oven...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 12:08   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have used used pressurecookers successfully , an dpressure cookers in general many decdes. watched one presto blow up in mommas kitchen. she decided to use cold water to cool it..hahaha and opened prematurely. thankfully she moved her head away from the area involved... i donot use them much anymore except to make guisados and cat foods... or thicker guisados without fillers or additives, and very little water.
onboard when in use, it is wise to place outside cabin for cool down. if you need it to cool fast--- and want the gasket to drop fast, donot mess with the weight, use a loooong handled wooden spoon to check smaller gasket for steam. stand well back. mine have never blown up or become spectacular, and i have been successfully able to relieve steam pressure in this manner.
when used correctly these are excellent tools.

by the way, without use of pressure /weight, these make great pozole cooking pots..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote