Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 14:29   #31

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Re: Costco Canned Chicken . . . a Contender

Lol whilst provisioning a friend whose Dad was english told me about these pies and apparently they are even available way down here......I am still reeling with amazment...a pie in a tin.....how does that even work!!!!

currently I have stuffed about a dozen tins of canned chicken in (origion Vietnam so I hope it is chicken but guess I will never know). Its very salty but fine if mixed in to a recipe maybe not so on a fresh bread sandwich!

Also as an absolute emergency ration we have here in NZ copious amounts of tinned corned beef, which was a picnic staple growing up many moons ago. It was awful then and I have no hope it will be any better now but have poked it under the floorboards way at the back in case I get desperate!

Regards
Clare
S/V Ellan Vannin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I wondered when someone would mention Fray Bentos, a legend amongst UK yachties for the past 4 decades. Inerestingly Morrisons one of the smaller UK supermarkets do their own range too, but they are a little too cheap for me.

Premier Foods - Fray Bentos

So I brought a couple home. Viv turned her nose up at them, so they were stuffed in a cupboard. Andrew our 17 year old who is constantly hungry but like all teenagers basically lazy decided to have one for lunch. Of course he didn't read the instructions on the tin, instead dumped it into a bowl and stuffed it into the microwave. At which point I entered the kitchen. Whilst hot the puff pastry was still uncooked Still he learnt a valuable lesson in life.

Pete
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 15:44   #32

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Anybody can their own meats? Delectable.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 16:31   #33

Boat: Currently boatless

We used the Costco canned chicken for when we run out of fresh stuff.

Favorite usages:
Curry (thai and indian)
Chicken pot pie
Chicken salad for crackers
Nachos
Quesadillas
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 16:42   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Canned meat would be great in a curry.
Depends on how many days out. You'll find the old days of canned whole chicken are over. I recall the old whole canned chicken and the now you can get good tuna in bags - no can. The chicken is as good as the better tuna.

After 30 years mountaineering I never found freeze dried meat worth the money. Flavored wood chips was about it. We did carry the odd large can of tuna for some special meals. With no refrigeration we did a lot of good meals. Used a lot of dried products that will easily travel in air tight packaging. It gets to be the only way you get the crew to climb 2000 ft in the afternoon.

Good food, the best you can manage is always a good idea. I find boating to be similar. A great anchorage just begs for a nice happy hour and a fine meal. Many ingredients require some additional camouflage to make them both attractive and tasty. The advantage is a full day on the water makes many things sound and taste better than if you were lounging by the pool all day.

My sister used to can meat. Mostly venison. Made great chili. Not easy to shoot a deer in the islands. Basic canning procedure works and you can can anything except a good time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:16   #35

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

After 30 years mountaineering I never found freeze dried meat worth the money. Flavored wood chips was about it.
That's about as accurate a description as you can get. I used to make my own jerky, dry as a bone. Tried it a few times in stews and soups. Flavored wood chips is it exactly.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:56   #36
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We too used canned chicken, tuna, beef (in gravy) and corned beef. I'm surprised no one has mentioned canned hams or canned bacon. For periods of bad weather we also carry a handful of military MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat). Just open the pouch, add hot water and squish it around for a few minutes. Eat it right out of the pouch. A bunch of them actually taste pretty decent. A far cry from the old military field rations.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:09   #37
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Once hubby cooked a chilli for a party (back in his student days). More people came than expected, food ran low, so he padded it out with tinned beef chunks of the dog food variety. Apparently no-one noticed.

To be fair, his cooking has got much better since he's been with me. Well, he needs to cook if he wants to get fed...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:48   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Not canned per se, but I like Hormel Compleats (sic)... Designed for microwave, but readily adapts to heating in a pan of water!
Old 14-03-2011, 17:12   #39
Eternal Member

The only problem I have with the Hormels and others of that ilk is the really obscene sodium levels. Of course sodium is usually high in a lot of canned goods too but I don't think my cardiologist would be too tickled.

For grins and giggles I just pulled three identically size cans out of the pantry. They list a ridiculous number of servings, instead of 5 its more likely two or less.

Bumble Bee chunk light tuna in water - 12 oz - 5 servings - Na = 180 mg/serving

Roast Beef (Brazilian) Parboiled w/gravy - 12 0z -? servings - Na = 73 mg/serving

Chicken breast in water - generic -10 oz - 5 servings - Na 250 mg/serving

Next just looked up some meals Hormel's Compleats line as well as Healthy Choice.

The Na for the Hormels, which serve 1 range according to the meal but seem to be between 500 and 900 mg/serving.

The Healthy Choice brand seems similar to the Hormels. Finally, Campbell's Chunky Soup - Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables - supposedly two servings but really one - 800 mg/serving. So when I have one for lunch that 1600 mg of Na!!

I think we're only supposed to have a total of 2200-2500 mg/day. Anyway, do I eat them? Durn tootin! I just would not want to do it too often. Open heart surgery was not fun, I don't want to repeat the experience again if I can help it.

Ah well, it's a slow night around here so take the above with a grain of salt.

Rich
Old 14-03-2011, 17:52   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Never said they were healthy! LOL!
Old 14-03-2011, 18:02   #41
Eternal Member

That's very true capngeo, I stand most humbly corrected.
Old 23-03-2011, 15:52   #42
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

We use the costco chicken and occasionally the beef. I also keep the pre cooked bowls of brown rice that our costco caries on board. Much easier to just warm it than mess with boiling water for 20 minutes while underway to get the rice done.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01   #43

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

I have used canned meats with great sucess for years. You just need to be creative chicken salad for lunch or stew for dinner. Chicken and eggs for breakfast. Just remember the hot sauce.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 King Cobra View Post
...Chicken and eggs for breakfast.
Wouldn't it be better to eat the eggs and leave the chicken alive to get more eggs????

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 20:09   #45

Boat: Haida 26

Hate to admit this, but my wife & I like fried Spam sandwiches w/ mustard for a quick lunch. also with eggs for breakfast on ocassion. 20 years ago I alway's caried the canned bacon with me. Still cruising and healthy. I'm not going to starve at sea. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote