Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 11:59   #16

Re: Cookware - how much is too much?

We have a set of T-fal ingenio. 3 pot set with detachable handle, lids for cooking and lids for storage in the cooler/fridge. Oven safe lids up to 350 deg f.
Gypsea Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 12:35   #17
vjm

Take a look at Cristel. You will never need to buy more cookware, and it is by far the best quality and performance. A good thing since it is pricey, but they sell individually so you can just buy what you absolutely need.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 13:14   #18

We gave up the old presto pressure cooker and just used a steaming basket, 5 qt stainless pan/lid, and old 10" fry pan of indeterminate parentage. Simple and good enough for most meals. The outdoor gas grill was used a lot with just its metal screen. The galley oven was more for storage and the "wow, you got an Aga" impress factor rather than for cooking. Everyone had their own wooden bowls in which everything was served. "Glasses" were old, no handle navy mugs. Worked for two adults and three kids.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 14:36   #19

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I have 2 kettles (one for the stove and an electric one to be used in marinas), a 8-liter stainless pressure cooker, a large and a small frying pan, a medium and a small stainless pot, a few lids. Since I have no oven, I don't need dishes.

The pc, the small pan and the pots came with the boat. They have seen a lot of use.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 18:21   #20

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

you can buy the exact pots you need from any good chain store or some chandleries have quality pots. you could also try camping supply stores / buy the exact good quality pots you need (with solid fitted handles) / you don't want your culinary creation in the bilge because removable handles weren't designed for the ever present unseen large wave
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:59   #21

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Sea Dreamer. I have been around cattle all of my life. I have been kicked, run over, pinned against fences, pooped on, stepped on, but not bitten (I did see Jaws). I have been bucked off and bitten by horses but I do not think he was thinking of me as a meal. So I guess it gets around to what you are used to and what you are more afraid of. Please take this as a joke and a different point of view. Have a nice day. Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 15:39   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Sea Dreamer. I have been around cattle all of my life. I have been kicked, run over, pinned against fences, pooped on, stepped on, but not bitten (I did see Jaws). I have been bucked off and bitten by horses but I do not think he was thinking of me as a meal. So I guess it gets around to what you are used to and what you are more afraid of. Please take this as a joke and a different point of view. Have a nice day. Hector
Hector,

I work for a large dairy, thats why the quote makes me giggle. The worst our ladies do is ride the carousel just for fun. Then again, dairy cows are loyal and wont do anything for just anybody. They have their favorite handlers and will put off milking if their favorite isnt around. They are largely a docile bunch but they will poop on you without a second thought.

So yeah, humor understood!

S.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:33   #23

This cookware is perfect for steaming. Glad you have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
The best pot I've found besides the pc is a 4th burner pot by Kuhn Rikon (sp). I use it to steam veggies, cook oatmeal and boil eggs, I'am sure it will do other things I haven't tried yet.Attachment 126326

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GilbertoCollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have been living on board since 1990 and cruising many years-i find i get what is available, heaviest possible weight so it is realistic for cooking.
i change my stuff every 3-4 yrs.
i also keep my cast iron set well stowed, and use when i feel urge.
get what you LIKE not what is recommended.
makes a huge difference if you LIKE to cook.
the wrong stuff can make cooking more than a chore.
best of luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Im looking at cookware for our galley and I would love to add a pot to go with my pressure cooker and skillet (s).

To me the ideal would be a couple of nesting pots. But the sets out there are too big or have the wrong stuff. Trust me...I dont need another skillet (bf has 5 he wont part with)

Does anyone know where I can get open stock stackables? Really I just want a couple of good deep pots in smaller sizes.

Stacking would make it easier to accomodate bfs skillets! (hell come around im sure)
Have you been cooking on the boat for a while or are you just trying to get what you think you will need? Most folks end up needing far less than what they thought before they started cruising. Not just cooking stuff, everything.

That said, there are "kitchen" stores in every large shopping mall so start there. There are also restaurant supply stores that the public might not know about but they sell lots of cooking stuff and most will be happy to sell to you.

And of course, there is the Internet but you don't get to touch and feel the stuff before you buy it.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:22   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Since the original post referred to nesting pots, specifically, I'd like to add that camping stores are your friend. Years ago, I had a camp cook set that one could have used on the boat. We instead chose the pressure cookers, but that's another story.

If it is something you feel is essential, you'll find room. We, for instance, have always carried a small skillet for frying two eggs. We also had one skillet when we started out, but I think 2 ten-inchers is about right. You can do a full batch of English muffins with 2 ten-inch ones. We have a griddle, rather use the skillets. Ymmv. It depends on what you like to cook.

Ann
Old 08-03-2017, 14:09   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

My experience with camping stores is the cookware is designed to be lightweight and compact first at the expense of being good for cooking. An RV store or Marine store is more likely to have quality cookware that is designed for minimal storage space.