Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 16:38   #31

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Celery Salt and Seed

My mother always used celery seed when she wanted the flavor. She was never keen on the crunch of celery in potato salad. I'd post the recipe, but it needs refrigeration. Like celery salt, celery seed packs tons of flavor and keeps for a long time.

~Kathleen
Old 16-08-2009, 16:53   #32

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Another Hot Pasta Salad

zeehag, that sounds good. It reminds me of a hot pasta salad that a friend made to use up excess veggies. Not having a garden, I tend to run to the store to pick up the ingredients I like best. I'd never had cooked cucumber before this dish. It's surprisingly delicious!

Cook flat egg noodles and drain while making the rest.

Wash and cut up the veggies. Saute all veggies until tender in garlic salt and olive oil. You can use whatever you like, but I prefer sliced mushrooms and cucumbers; chopped small onion, and green and orange bell peppers; and halved cherry tomatoes.)

Toss all together and sprinkle with fresh pepper and parmesan cheese.

Make just enough to eat for lunch/dinner as it does not keep without cold.

Yeah, I know that veggies only keep for a short time without chilling, but they can keep for a few days with proper storage in a cool location.

~Kathleen
Old 16-08-2009, 17:10   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i donot chill my veggies--i store them hanging in the main saloon--is darkish in ,my boat and that works well--my interior is soooocool---doesnt get hot unless i donot have a tarp up--i keep boat covered as much as possible--i like the coolness
even in summer is cooler than most places--anything that needs cool goes below waterline.....is cooler there usually
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:02   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
One of the real pluses about cruising long term is improved health and longer life. I feel primarily it is because we have both the opportunity and need to prepare and eat basic, healthy foods. Lack of refrigeration or fancy cooking appliances means doing it the way Grandma did. Besides the joy of hand preparing great meals from local "organic" foods - the locals are too poor to afford pesticides, hormones, and other chemicals - you have the time to relax with a great sunset/sunrise with fabulous scenery around you while you eat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:12   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Beware of "night soil" in those poor countries.

Anyone have a good rice pudding recipe? (using powdered milk and canned butter)
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 13:43   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
In the little countries I have been to all around the world and some remote areas of large ones the people use outhouses. Only the cows, pigs, sheep, goats and chickens run around and provide natural fertilizer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 14:16   #37

5-8potatoes--russet
10 eggs, hard boiled--diced
1 jar of dill pickles
dashmustard
mayo to taste
pickle juice from jar
olives-1 can
onion
garlic cloves
celery if desired
salt / pepper to taste
grill potatoes and dice dice onion and celery
dice pickles
put all into a large bowl add mustard and pickle juice and chopped olives and eggs
add mayo and salt and pepper and minced garlic--mince it realllly fine
mix well---shouldnt have too much mayo--i make mine a bit dry--the pickle juice makes it wetter
sometimes i add a few thin slices , minced reallly fine , of serrano chile
mix well
EAT
is gooood--i can say that as it isnt ,my recipe--serve warm
it will go fast---by being eaten----you would be surprised how good this is......woops..have fun----i LOVE hot salads LOL
Old 23-08-2009, 17:02   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Creamy Lemon Tuna Pasta

1 Onion
Tuna: 1 Can or go catch any type of fish (also works with any canned meat except Buffalo. Chicken is great)
1 Lemon or squeeze from bottle of lemon juice
1 cup 250ml UHT Cream or fresh cream. Or 1 Can Coconut milk/Cream
100g Butter Canned (look at your butt, a few extra grams won’t matter)
Fresh or canned Mushrooms Optional (plenty as they shrink)
Pinch of local spice that looked interesting from most recent port
Herbs / Parsley whatever
Salt, Pepper
Pasta

Put butter (or olive oil, just for a change) into pan with finely diced onions and slowly fry till golden adding the chilli or spice just before the tuna. The spice is just to give zing, not to hide the flavour. Mix well and then chuck in the mushrooms, pepper & salt and allow to cook for a bit. If the mixture is very dry add some water by the tablespoon. When that’s happy add the cream, bring back to the boil, run the parsley/herbs & Lemon through and serve over pasta with some grated Parmesan cheese.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 05:52   #39

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I'm not good on recipes, I tend to look to see what we've got a lot of and get creative. Adding to what we have on board is something I am good at

I'm sure most of you out cruising will tend to troll a 6 to 8 oz lure for mahi mahi and tuna etcetera but have you considered having a couple of collapsible crab pots on board. We've used them and had some very good results including lobster in the right waters. Occasionally you'll also get a decent octopus which may have been thieving your catch. Tough luck for the octopus

Google 'collapsible crab pots' for info

Paige
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 06:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I'm not good on recipes, I tend to look to see what we've got a lot of and get creative. Adding to what we have on board is something I am good at

I'm sure most of you out cruising will tend to troll a 6 to 8 oz lure for mahi mahi and tuna etcetera but have you considered having a couple of collapsible crab pots on board. We've used them and had some very good results including lobster in the right waters. Occasionally you'll also get a decent octopus which may have been thieving your catch. Tough luck for the octopus

Google 'collapsible crab pots' for info

Paige
i usually troll with a rattletrap--catches fish and i use those to supplement our provisions....i donot care what kind of fish it is as long as it is edible and will feed 2...>LOL....i am usually pretty lucky....
Old 26-08-2009, 07:04   #41

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Rhosyn Mor has no refrigeration we have an ice box but really have no need for Ice most of the time.
hummus is available in dried form ( whole foods and many health food stores) just add cold water and olive oil, its about 4 a pound, but it expands a lot.
Falafel is also available dried about the same money.
many supermarkets carry Kasha, its a craked bulgar wheat, really good.
Dolmas are available in cans everywhere.
The Romanov brand scandanavian caviar is cheap, great spread on WASA bread
you can take the pitted green olives, remove them from the jar, stuff them with garlic, blue cheese, ( or anything else) and put them back in the brine, they will keep a long long time.
make a glass of milk, marinate some star anise in it for about two hours, thicken with gelatin, let sit for an other hour, and you have a really nice dessert.
mix tuna with smoked fish and corn, add powdered milk and water, thicken with a roux made from flour and olive oil, wrap in home made crepes
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:30   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I have been trying various forms of canned beef and mixing with things to make like a DIY hamburger helper. I've actually used HH with canned corn beef in place of ground beef and it wasn't bad. Of course I like corned beef. And Spam. Sue Bee chicken in the foil pouches works for lots of stuff too.

Some of the canned roast beef canned whole chicken is good mixed with veggies and rice for a quick stew or soup.

Instead of bread I make tortillas with a flour called White Wings. Everything is already in there just add water. You can make one or 20 your choice. They keep well just wrapped in a clean dish towel.

Corned or roast beef hash with chopped fried onions and picante with eggs scrambled in. Add "taco seasoning" to taste and serve in fresh tortillas, for breakfast can't be beat.

I also like to make corn bread in a skillet. Made like a thick pancake. With some chopped fruit bits, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, apricots or what you gots, it makes a wonderful breakfast or dessert.

I use my tortilla griddle for making pancakes too. The pressure cooker works wonders on some of the tougher cuts of meat and cooks potatoes in half the time and a fraction of the water.

For a small boat I DO have a fairly well set up galley.

Of course I do, I'm a fat boy..........m
Old 26-08-2009, 16:41   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
trying various forms of canned beef
If you are still in the USA you really must get a large order from Brinkman Farms.

Their canned chuck beef is by far and away a worlds best product.

http://brinkmanfarms.com/

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 05:41   #44

Boat: Simpson, Sinewave 9m
[Anyone have a good rice pudding recipe? (using powdered milk and canned butter)[/QUOTE]

Creamed Rice - Kids and now grandkids still ask for it.

Place in pot and stir until boiling:- 7 1/2 cups water, 2 1/2 cups short grain rice, 75 grams margarine/butter.
Simmer with lid on for 15 mins stirring occassionaly.

Add 2 cups full cream milk powder that has been mixed with 1 1/2 cups warm water. 2 tsp vanilla and 3/4 cup sugar. We also add sultanas.
Stir and serve.

This makes rather a large amount so adjust for your needs. Hope you like it.
Jacqui
JacquiSydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:04   #45

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
OOOOO yummy. That reminds me of the days before you could get regular fresh food in parts of northern Canada, especially in winter. My mom and granny were both experts at making wonderful treats from stuff out of cans. Stuff my wife and daughter would never attempt to eat, why, because its from a can or its dryed. Some stuff did taste different but once past the different flavour it was wonderful stuff. My favorite was walnut raisin loaf from a can with lots of (canned) butter slathered on it. I still like my tea with evaporated milk best..........m.

Tags
cooking, food, meals, recipes