Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 06:24   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Cooking Utensils

I am and for the most part, and always have been, a very simple chef when it comes to preparing my food. One can work artistic and tasty wonders with a sharp knife with sufficent time and creative energy. That being said, I am male and love my electric food prep gagets that now clutter my cabinet unused.

Last night I took a short jaunt with my wife to the local rodeo and fair here in Fort Worth and among all the expected usual things I found a hand crank food processor. Will make all the french fries you could want without electricity.

At first I thought this was a really cool idea! and then I realized that I can make french fries with my chef knife, and slice tomatoes and cucumbers with my chef knife, and even grate or zest about anything else with just a simple grater from the dollar store. So really this would just take up valuable space for others things in the galley.

On the other hand it probably would have some entertainment value in the hands of small children who seem to have unlimited energy and should not be handleing a knife. And it would keep all above messy sliced veggies in one nice neat clean container till they get served or used.

Any Thoughts?
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 14:01   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Along the same lines I've seen hand-crank blenders in the specialty hiking/camping stores. Made of polycarbonate and have a clamp on the bottom to afix to a table. Apparently will crush ice - margaritas anyone? Or milkshakes for the kiddies. Quite expensive but I would probably consider one of them before a food processor. As you said, a couple of good knives can do pretty much what the processor can.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 14:03   #3

Hand crank blender? I'll have to look into that just for laughs, but I would agree with you Lodesman. I saw a blender mounted to the bottom/ business end of gas powered edger/ trimmer for tailgate parties here just before the superbowl. My wife busted out laughing....
Old 05-02-2006, 16:29   #4

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Coming from me [who has lots of systems and stuff on the boat] this maybe an oxymoron but we only have one powered/electric cooking accessory on the boat [coffee grinder]. That is cause I'm not awake in the morning when I need to grind the first pot. However I do have a hand mill just in case.

We are both semi accomplished cooks and find goods knives, and some old fashion basic kitchen utensils do the job. Also a pressure cooker is a must have item

Luckily we are not big blender drink fans :cubalibre or that would probably be the next other item we would add.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:25   #5

Jon

My wife, the coffee drinker, brought that up also. Not quite sure if she wan't a coffee grinder or not. Can you get/find a good hand crank coffee grinder ( for use in a french press). After visiting Costa Rica a few years ago, she ( and I) got really spoiled on thier coffee.

Where is your marina? My dad is moored in Severna Park and should be getting ready to take off in a couple of years.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:11   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Check

practicalsailingsolutions.com

they have coffee presses and grinders
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:43   #7

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I bought my hand crank one at REI. Electric is just a standard cheapo one. We actually perk on board rather than french press - makes more coffee per pot and I can secure using fiddles.

Boat is not in a marina but behind a private house. We're taking off in the spring so you won't see us around the bay much after mid June.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 17:47   #8
Kai Nui

Hand crank blender?!? Cool! I want one! Any sources?
We have the hand crank food processer, coffee grinder, pressure cooker, and a bunch of other non electrical stuff. No microwave, no crock pot, and none of that other current sucking stuff. Our coffee is brewed in one of the aluminum espresso makers. It makes 2 cups at a time, but makes it strong enough to drink. We do have good knives, and they get used, but my better half likes at least some conveniences. She cooks almost every night, so anything that reduces the prep time for things that are fun to cook is on her list of must haves. I admit that we did finally purchase a small electric food processor. It makes the perfect amount for two people of anything that needs it, and only cost $10.
Old 07-02-2006, 20:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hand crank pressure cooker

Hey Kai Nui, the mag arrived last night. In had a great bed time read. Thanks heaps. Very informative.
Hey now, do you need me to send this back? Is it part of your library???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 21:16   #10
Kai Nui

I get all excited when I talk about food, so I probably didn't make sense
Nah, don't worry about it Wheels. I will come get it if I need it.
Old 07-02-2006, 21:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just give'is a warning so I can chill the beers

Old 07-02-2006, 21:53   #12
Kai Nui

Old 08-02-2006, 03:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wheels:
Your request for warning (of Kai Nui’s impending visit), that you might chill the beers, suggests a woeful lack of preparation. I’ve always been impressed with your level-headed & informed ideas & opinions, so am surprised at this apparent shortcoming. As a cruiser, I suggest that you always prepare for the worst*, and hope for the best**.
For example:
* Kai Nui shows up (unexpected), with me in tow.
** We bring the cold bevy’s.

Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your right Gord. Not a well prepared sailor. That is like the first priority on the check list.
1: Check beers in cooler
2: Check I have chief cook and bottle washer..errrr...I mean wife
3: Check Sea cocks
and so on.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"You're right Gord" is a redundant statement of the obvious.
Gord
ok, I'll quit now

OOPS!
I just checked /w Maggie, and she advises that "you're right" and "Gord" are mutually exclusive terms (oxymoronic ?), never to be combined in a single expression.
She further wonders:
If Gord was single-handing the SoPac, and had a thought; but didn't express it (tho' nobody would have been able to hear it, had he) - would he still be wrong?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking