Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2011, 09:33   #31

Boat: departure 35
Re: Cooking Underway

Anyone know what the solenoid is for on the propane line? Just trying to picture the system. My camper doesn't have on I know. Just the regulator, copper tubing and that's about it.

Old 25-09-2011, 10:05   #32

Boat: C&C Newport 41

you dont mention where you live and where you generally (plan to) sail.

the other option is diesel which is entirely safe and simple to use.

a diesel stoves heats the entire unit and the cook top (flat top of the unit) is either coked directly on or you put your cookware on it.

if u r in a cold climate, lighting the diesel stove will warm the cabin and since the oven is always hot, you can make bread or muffins or whatever everyday.

downside is the heat it generates if you are in warmer climates.

another downside to diesel is space and venting. because the cook top is hot, it needs to be mounted at or slightly below the counter height and handrails are really important cuz u do not want to reach out to stabilize yourself and touch the cook top. diesel stoves also require a vent (about 4-6 inches) that comes up 6 inches b4 any bend.

related to residential, diesel cooks similar to an electric range (prob closest to a wood or coal stove if anyone has that context. while there are differences between nat gas and lp, fire is fire and gas ranges all cook more or less the same.

dickenson is the largest diesel manufacturer.

Old 25-09-2011, 10:24   #33

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
Anyone know what the solenoid is for on the propane line? Just trying to picture the system. My camper doesn't have on I know. Just the regulator, copper tubing and that's about it.
The solenoid is usually mounted at the tank and it shuts off or opens the valve..usually wired to a remote switch, in the cabin, so you open the valve when you want to light the stove..close it when you're done.

You don't want to run copper on a boat. Too much vibration & potential for chafe..you want to use hose that is designed for a boat, strong, flexible & you can secure it with twist-ties, much like an electrical wire run. Also, I think there is a special hose that collapses on itself at high temperature (burning), thus shutting off the flow from the tank & preventing the fire from reaching the propane bottle.
Old 25-09-2011, 10:28   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Your camper should have floor vents, so if there is a propane leak the heavy gas will drop out of the camper.

On boats the gas would drop into the bilge where a spark from a bilge pump, refrigeration compressor, or similar system could cause an explosion. The remotely actuated solenoid for the propane system on boats helps to avoid that scenario. After you are done cooking you should switch off the solenoid while the burner(s) is/are still burner. That burns all the gas out of the internal gas piping. When the burner goes out you turn off the knobs on the cooker.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:58   #35
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Quote:

The gas sensor and solenoid are tied into a propane alarm panel and it will shut off automatically if it detects the gas and not just manually. Good if you forget to turn off and leave. I haven’t tested mine, but I assume (hope) this is what it does as I forget all the time even though I try to shut it off even when I sleep let alone leave.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:40   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

For a myriad of reasons, alchol stoves are not installed in new production boats except as an option, in spite of their higher cost of instalation. Insurance companies are mixed on what they like on boats, and would probably prefer you didn't cook at all. I don't usally let them make my decisions, except on when to go South or come home. I've had propane on my last four cats, and never had a problem. Fuel is available, gives good heat, and established safety standards are reasonable and effective. What works best for most is usually a good bet.

I would use an alcohol stove if that's what a boat had, but a minor caution: Most sources of alcohol have water in it. That water increases the humidity in the boat when the alcohol burns. That turns into condensation, mid-fall wet chill, and damp matresses, cushion, and interior voids. Hence, Mildew.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:50   #37
STG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
a minor caution: Most sources of alcohol have water in it. That water increases the humidity in the boat when the alcohol burns. That turns into condensation, mid-fall wet chill, and damp matresses, cushion, and interior voids. Hence, Mildew.
The same is true with propane. Not sure which is worse though.
Old 25-09-2011, 14:33   #38

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
The gas sensor and solenoid are tied into a propane alarm panel and it will shut off automatically if it detects the gas and not just manually. Good if you forget to turn off and leave. I haven’t tested mine, but I assume (hope) this is what it does as I forget all the time even though I try to shut it off even when I sleep let alone leave.
What you describe exists but is actually unusual. Most installations I have seen have a simple switch-actuated remote solenoid. They may or may not have a separate gas sensor with an audible alarm.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 14:35   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If you look at BTUs per pound, per dollar, per gallon or any other measure, alcohol doesn't look good. It's hard to beat propane except in areas where refills are hard to find. No matter your choice of stove, I recommend having a backup or two. For example, my single burner electric hotplate stows in little space and gives me free, thermostat-controlled cooking when at a dock. A Sterno stove takes up even less space and it's nice to have for dockside potlucks.
Old 25-09-2011, 14:52   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: cooking underway

Quote:
I think I will go propane. There is more than enough room for an atwood camper stove and oven in there. I assume they are ok for boats too. I don't think I would need more ventilation for it at all but I will sure look into it.
One difference between RV and marine stoves may be that the marine ones have safety devices that turn off the gas if a burner blows out. Not sure if the RV units have this absolutely essential safety feature.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-09-2011, 15:15   #41

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Look at something like this: http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...1237&id=322410
Old 25-09-2011, 15:59   #42
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Alcohol stoves come in the pressurized and the unpressurized versions. I have used both, but they are different to run. Have a pick, or a brand?

The fuel is pretty easy... isopropyl rubbing alcohol is available all over, check the pharmacy. One of the advantages of an alcohol stove. Prolly burn everclear if you needed too...

Propane works fine too, but the larger fuel bottles need lockers with proper ventilation.

LOL... never mind I see you have plenty of advice here ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:34   #43

I love my Origo 2 burner(alcohol, not pressurized) with oven stove after 12 years of using it. Also, if your icebox is insulated and large enough, you can add refrigeration such as seafrost or the like if you have a couple hundred amp hours of house batteries. I have also used propane, which is more like your home gas stove, and with appropriate safety precautions is wonderful as it is a little bit hotter than alcohol. Just my thoughts...
Old 25-09-2011, 16:58   #44

Boat: Columbia 41

To be precise, your propane bottle will sit in a locker that is vented out board. There is a pressure regulator and pressure gauge that screws to the top of the propane bottle. From the regulator is a short length of hose - a pig tail - that runs to the solenoid valve. The solenoid is inside the gas bottle locker. The solenoid valve opens when 12v power is provided to it. If you do not turn off the power the solenoid valve will drain your batteries. When the when the valve is open propane is free to flow to your stove (or cabin heater). There is also an emergency cut off switch wired into the solenoid circuit. The emergency cutoff is in the galley but not close to the stove.

Gas hose from the solenoid valve to the stove should be flex hose designed for that purpose. It is readily available from Defender, Hamilton Marine or West Marine. It's a good idea to secure the gas hose with clips where possible. Also, where it passes through a bulkhead, provide a grommit to avoid chafe.
Old 26-09-2011, 10:25   #45
STG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
What you describe exists but is actually unusual. Most installations I have seen have a simple switch-actuated remote solenoid. They may or may not have a separate gas sensor with an audible alarm.

I have never really looked at anyone else’s boats, so I wouldn’t know what is unusual or not, but I do know that it is sold on the rack at Fisheries Supply (Seattle) for around $180, and also at West Marine, and so I assume that others have it as well. It does shut off the solenoid automatically when gas is sensed and can run two sensors. For the price and ease of installation, I am surprised to hear it is unusual.

This is my unit: FIREBOY – XINTEX S-2A.
http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/manuals/S-2A%20Manual.pdf

Tags
cooking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: