Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2011, 15:08   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Cooking Underway

passive is what was used to burn this formosa.....5 times before i bought it.

cooking underway isnt all about the stove, however--is also the boat and the cook and conditions under which the cooking is being done.....

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 15:12   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I am not sure how someone managed to burn a boat 5 times, without burning it to the waterline, with a passive stove. Was the stove in good repair? Was the fuel stored properly? These are the same concerns for propane.

Passive alcohol stoves are fine. No, you can't hang a towel over the stove while cooking, neither can you with propane. No, you shouldn't wear long sleeve shirts with alcohol, but neither should you with propane.

Typically when the fuel source goes on alcohol it does so with flaming up, not exploding. Propane stoves rarely explode. You have to do stupid things with both, or not maintain your equipment to have issues.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 15:14   #18

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Consider removing the stove, using the space for storage (or install a microwave if you don't have one), then put a propane grill on the back of your boat. Our grill stays mounted all of the time and we use it way more than our stove.
Old 23-09-2011, 15:36   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
Our boat still has an original gimble mount alcohol stove in it. We haven't ever used it. It's in fine condition but honestly I don't know anything about them and there isn't a manual. I don't even know where to get fuel or if they are safe. I thought about replacing it with a propane stove but a surveyor I talked to said they are frowned upon for insurance purposes. What do you all recommend for a non electric means of cooking? Should I use the stove in it? We do not have a generator and don't plan to get one. It still has an original ice box in it too. One that you put a block of ice in. Funny, I haven't seen one of those since my great grandmothers house. She didn't have electricity till the day she died about 1990. Do those work pretty good or should I look at alternatives? What is a good one if so? Thanks.

I use ice on my boat. For trips, I get 12 lb. of dry ice, which I get pretty cheaply at a place that packs and ships everything including food, so they always have a big freezer of dry ice.

Then I put "ice maker" ice on top of it, and it freezes hard, and you have a block of ice with a dry ice core. It can last for a week.

There are two kinds of alcohol stoves. One has to be pumped up, and they can be a little dangerous because you can over-pump them, but you won't see the alcohol flame.

The kind mine is, you pour alcohol into a burner, and light it. No pressurization, no chance of spilling unless you overfill it (don't do that) -- BUT it burns at a pretty low temperature.

The issue with propane stoves is how to store the propane. It has to be stored in a special airtight compartment. It's heavier than air, so if it leaks, it sinks into your bilge, and is hard/dangerous to vent out, and your boat has turned into a floating bomb. But if it's installed properly it's pretty safe. I know lots of people with propane stoves and they all have insurance.

There are a few boats around with compressed natural gas, but where I am you have to drive 200 miles to get it. It is actually very safe, but just not popular.

I have a propane BBQ grill off the back of my cockpit that gets plenty hot enough for things that need to be cooked "hot," like a good steak.
Old 23-09-2011, 15:44   #20

Boat: Outremer 50S

They both have their pros and cons.

The big con with propane is that it is heavier than air. If you have a leak in the cabin, or just leave an unlit burner on (newer stoves won't allow this) the gas can accumulate in the bilge. Then it just waits to go boom. Thus the requirement that the bottles be stored outside, in a vented locker, with a solenoid at the bottle so that the gas can be turned off outside when it is not in use (NB, our boat has propane, no solenoid - you want to use the stove you go out and open the valve, done, you close it - habit - but would recommend a solenoid for any new installation - one day even I may install one).

The big con with alcohol is that it is not a very hot flame. So, can take a while to bring water to a boil. Also, the visibility of the flame (see above). Can also smell, which some people find nauseating in a seaway. But, is considered by some (like insurance companies) to be safer. Doesn't tend to explode, relatively easy to extinguish (let virtual flames begin now).

Both are pretty readily available in most parts of the world, although I would have to say that propane or some similar compressed gas seems to be more prevalent - although you may need a lot of adapters to get your bottle filled. I would recommend springing for aluminum or FG cylinders, once you've had to lug them half way across town in the tropics a few times you'll realize that every extra pound counts.

We had a series of RV stoves (Atwood and others) on the boat over the years, and they performed fine. They won't hold up the way a marine stove will, so be prepared to replace every 4-5 years. FWIW our marine stove lasted about 8 before it went to the great beyond, so, if the marine version is more than twice as much probably not worth it, YMMV.
Old 23-09-2011, 15:48   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

some cruisers have the tanks , smaller ones, attached to the stern rails--looks decent and fiunctional an d spill is overboard immediately. i am using the outside regfrigerator opening for my tank temporarily--i will use a newly created locker in my lazarette if and when i can build one. with my current set up, my overspill is into the cockpit drain via a tubing and tubing junction, so it goes out opposite side of boat from exhaust.
on my ericson i used the stern rail.

where does one need adapters to have propane filled??? so far, i have foiund virgin islands and mexico are ok with m y current tanks--fillnozzles work fine.. the gasapasa place has an adapter-- so is all perfect. is also only 100 pesos to have the 5 gallon tank filled in mazatlan, same in ensenada and cabo.... now peso is 14 to a dollar, that is really fine.
Old 23-09-2011, 15:49   #22

Boat: departure 35

We have a grill on the back too but it's charcoal. I guess that is safe enough. The thing I don't like about it is no cover. I should invest in a new one that has a cover in case the wind comes up or something. I can modify a mount back there to hold a propane one that uses the little coleman canisters if you all think those are safer. For on deck use. I was thinking, after I get the solar panels rigged I should be able to use the microwave without running the engine going off the inverter. I know it will run it just fine.
Old 23-09-2011, 15:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The issue with propane stoves is how to store the propane. It has to be stored in a special airtight compartment. It's heavier than air, so if it leaks, it sinks into your bilge, and is hard/dangerous to vent out, and your boat has turned into a floating bomb. But if it's installed properly it's pretty safe. I know lots of people with propane stoves and they all have insurance.

No. Not in an airtight compartment but in a locker that vents overboard and, of course, the vent must be in the bottom of the locker.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 15:54   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

frank--i have no idea, either-- they did it before i ever knew this boat-- they did a great job of it, tho--- had to have coach house redone over the galley. i still see some signs of the cook fail......charred wood.
i love my propane system--is good. i even stole it from my ericson to make sure! LOL
Old 23-09-2011, 15:59   #25

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

We fitted our boat out from scratch and looked at the options of alcohol / paraffin / diesel vs gas (propane / butane) and in the end went with gas. It is clean, the fuel is easily available and the system is simple to install and operate. I installed it myself and we got a gas engineer to check it over and give it approval. 4 years later it is still working well without any problems whatsoever (touch wood)!
Old 23-09-2011, 17:15   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We have LPG and it works great. I have also heard good things of some alcohol stoves. I think they were of Origo make.

We always switch off at cylinder when not in use, also underway.

b.
Old 24-09-2011, 16:09   #27

Boat: 36' Herrishoff ketch

Also on a side note, we have an "icebox" Once it s cooled with a couple of blocks of ice it stays cold for 2-3 weeks. We also drain the icy cold water out to use for drinks.
Old 24-09-2011, 18:51   #28

Boat: departure 35

That's good to know. I haven't used one since I was a kid. The icebox looks like it was never used on the boat so no sense in tossing it. I have a little frige for inport use and can use the icebox when we are out.
Old 24-09-2011, 19:02   #29

Boat: Columbia 41

I live on a Columbia 41 built in 1978. It came to me with an alchohol stove. After a fire scare I decided to get rid of the thing. I found a second hand all stainless steel two burner propane stove with oven at Bacon Sails in Annapolis. ($250) It fit right in where the old stove was. But besides that, there was the solinoid switch to buy an wire. And there was about 30 feet of gas hose too. There was an emergency cut off switch to install near the stove. Finally, the original lazarette needed modification to house a standard 10 pound propane bottle. It was a lot of work but in the end I think it is more safe than alchohol and adds to the boat's value.
Old 24-09-2011, 20:52   #30

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

I set my ericson on fire with an alcohol stove. The weather was quite rolly and I did not realise that as the stove was rolling the pre-fill cup was running over and the alcohol had puddled below. I lit the match and WHOOOM. I only left a tiny scorch mark on the teak next to the stove but cleaning up after the fire extinguisher was a mess!

It was the only incident I had with it (though I always hated lighting it), but I do prefer my propane system now!

Glad to hear that you are getting to spend so much time on the boat and making work for you.

Tags
cooking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: