Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 10:23   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Controlling a Force-10 Oven

I have a propane fueled Force-10 stove - the 2 burner size. I bought a good external temperature gauge that I use to monitor the oven temp as I found that the one on the stove is very inaccurate.

The problem I seem to have is keeping the temperature close to one level. Say I'm making cookies. I want the temp to be around 350. I get the temp about right, then load the cookie sheet. The temp shoots up to 500!

Cookies are kinda forgiving, but I want to make some bread - which is tricky. How to you keep the temp level?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:35   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Controlling a Force-10 Oven

Try this link, although it addresses a host of gas ovens, the problems are similiar I'm sure: Fixing Commercial Oven Problems | Tundra Restaurant Supply
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:46   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

How old is the stove and does it have a thermostat?

There are a lot of topics on that subject, either too hot or too cold. Use the Google search.

Edit: The site Google search that is...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:59   #4

Boat: Valiant 40
Controlling a Force-10 Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have a propane fueled Force-10 stove - the 2 burner size. I bought a good external temperature gauge that I use to monitor the oven temp as I found that the one on the stove is very inaccurate.

The problem I seem to have is keeping the temperature close to one level. Say I'm making cookies. I want the temp to be around 350. I get the temp about right, then load the cookie sheet. The temp shoots up to 500!

Cookies are kinda forgiving, but I want to make some bread - which is tricky. How to you keep the temp level?

Preheat, then preheat some more. Put a cast iron skillet in the oven when you do, then pull it and bake your bread in the skillet.

There is no way to make the control of the burner and gas flow make the temp more even short of standing there with your hand on the knob and constant adjusting it. The best you can do is make sure the oven holds heat as well as possible, which will reduce swings when you open the door and/or put something (cold) in. A good preheat and a heat sink in the oven help considerably.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:14   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post

I have a Force-10, two burner European model. We make cookies and bake bread all the time, with no real problems. I haven’t tried to use an external thermometer to test the temperature though, so I really don’t know how accurate the oven thermometer is. But I bake bread all the time, wherever I am, and this oven seems to do a fine job.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:47   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We just replaced our Force 10 stove with another Force 10 as no parts were available to repair the old one.

Because there is very little insulation on the Force 10 oven, it can cool very quickly so the temperature tends to fluctuate wildly. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the foods we bake - cookies, bread, pizza, lasagna, etc all seem to come out fine.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 12:49   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

[QUOTE=dmksails;2701771]I have a propane fueled Force-10 stove - the 2 burner size. I bought a good external temperature gauge that I use to monitor the oven temp as I found that the one on the stove is very inaccurate.

Cookies are kinda forgiving, but I want to make some bread - which is tricky. How to you keep the temp level?[/QUOT

Have had a couple of Force 10 stoves. Have yet to see the temperature get up to 500, you're very fortunate. As for keeping the temp level, keep an eye on it and adjust the knob.
Old 21-08-2018, 12:58   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We had an old stove on which the thermostat did not work to my taste, it would go too cold before firing up again. I put in an inexpensive ceramic floor tile (about 250 mm x 250 mm) tile for a heat sink, which cracked, but still did the job; used an external thermometer, and during baking simply adjusted the flame every 10 min. or so. Sometimes the thermostat would turn off the flame (it was only on or off, there was no in between setting), but it waited too long to turn it back on. However, by checking pretty carefully on that schedule, I was able to bake whatever I wanted: bread, cookies, pies, lasagna, a small turkey. It got to be a drag, and now, I am waiting to see how our new Force 10 does with these jobs. Thanks, dmksails, for the warning! ;-)

Ann
Old 21-08-2018, 13:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We just replaced our Force 10 stove with another Force 10 as no parts were available to repair the old one.

Because there is very little insulation on the Force 10 oven, it can cool very quickly so the temperature tends to fluctuate wildly. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the foods we bake - cookies, bread, pizza, lasagna, etc all seem to come out fine.

Fair winds and calm seas.
I bought mine Force 10 used and took it apart to cleanup. There is little insulation on the oven sides, but after I rebuilt and tested, the outside temperature was hot to touch (but not to burn) when the oven reached 400 degrees and it held there for a long time.
One trick I used to use was to place a pizza stone on the metal plate above the burner.. takes longer to come up to temp but spreads the heat more evenly.
Old 21-08-2018, 13:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have a Force-10, two burner European model. We make cookies and bake bread all the time, with no real problems. I haven’t tried to use an external thermometer to test the temperature though, so I really don’t know how accurate the oven thermometer is. But I bake bread all the time, wherever I am, and this oven seems to do a fine job.
Mike, do you know if you have an over thermostat? Some old units do not.
Old 21-08-2018, 13:27   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Yes! Good question for Mike!

We had an old 2 burner Eno, that had flame height settings for the oven, lo, med, and high. And that French oven worked great. Lo was a setting about 300F, medium, about 350 F, and high, around 375-400F, and they all maintained, once preheated, for the baking period. It was wonderful. Long gone, of course. But I'd hazard the guess that the ones without may have done a better job, generally.

Ann
Old 22-08-2018, 05:22   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

There must be since it reacts to the temperature. My oven burner runs full-on till it reaches the desired temp, then it goes into a low-burn maintenance mode.

I've never confirmed that the thermostat is accurate, but it seems to be fairly close given how my bread does.

My stove's alcove is sheaved in stainless steel to protect against fires, but I wonder if this also helps with temperature maintenance in the oven. I agree these ovens seem poorly insulated, yet I don't seem to have the challenges others report (and which I fully believe).

... speaking of bread, I'll be baking today or tomorrow. And we usually make cookies the same day since the oven is nicely heated.
Old 22-08-2018, 05:39   #13

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We also use an old pizza stone to help regulate/maintain a more even temp in the oven when baking. Or like Ann mentioned previously a ceramic floor tile may do the same function.

Down side is the longer pre-heat time to stabilize the stone temperature. The other is finding stones small enough to fit in the relatively smaller oven than the land based ones. On the other hand the stones should not be too big as to block too much of the heat flow around the stone, so we use round ones.

In warmer climates, we only bake bread early in the morning to keep the heat down, but Mike does have a good point of baking several things after the oven is stabilized. Guess we need to eat more cookies!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:34   #14

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

+1 on using a pizza stone in the oven. Also can be used in my Magma grill to steady temperature or for indirect cooking.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 10:36   #15

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Pizza stone = cheap heat sink.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven