Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2016, 09:13   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Re: Cold brewed coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I used cold brewed coffee onboard 30 years ago for my first single-handed passage as an alternative to hot brewing coffee several times a day. I made up a gallon at home before departing and put it in tightly sealed jars in my frig. The plan was to just heat up a cup or two on the stove top when I needed a coffee jolt. I never did that when I discovered it tasted great straight out of the frig.

The cold brewing process does not release as much acidity from the coffee grounds as hot brewing, which makes it a great soft drink. I think there is also less caffeine in the brew.

Thanks for reminding me of something I've gotten away from for a long time.

John
Hi John
I hadn't thought of it for passages. Good tip . Sometimes conditions are such that only instant coffee is made and this would be infinitely better. Unlike hot coffee, it apparently does not deteriorate if kept for several days.

Regarding the caffeine content, it may be higher than when hot brewed:
https://driftaway.coffee/coldbrew/
Wikipedia states the opposite though:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_brew_coffee
It must depend greatly on the amount of coffee used and the immersion time.

From the same site as above, a bit about the history is interesting. The first record of this method was in Japan in the 1600's:
https://driftaway.coffee/the-history-of-cold-brew/

SWL

Old 22-06-2016, 19:26   #17

love me some cold brew. You can also heat it up and serve like normal coffee if you swing that way

Old 09-07-2016, 10:36   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have been in an intermittently rolly anchorage the last few days, so filtering the cold brew was not practical. It drips slowly using filter paper, and the risk of coffee flung all over the place was not appealing .

Instead of filtering, I simply carefully strained the cold brew using a fine tea strainer, stopping as soon as significant sediment from the bottom of the jar started coming through. I let that settle half an hour or so, decanted again, leaving the tiny amount of sediment undisturbed, and then refrigerated that bottle.

Dead easy, no mess, no fuss and indiscernible from the carefully filtered brew.

This will become my standard method .

SWL

PS I have discovered that iced coffee late in the afternoon is even better with caramel chocolate .
Old 18-07-2016, 18:15   #19

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I've been letting it sit in the sun all day and then soak overnight it seems to be just as strong as when I brew it but it doesn't make me as jittery and it seems to have a smoother taste. I don't drink coffee everyday, just when I need a little extra energy so I plan on making some and keeping it in the fridge.
Old 18-07-2016, 18:48   #20

Boat: Shopping

See the Toddy coffee maker. Makes the cold brew process a little easier.
Old 18-07-2016, 18:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I've been letting it sit in the sun all day and then soak overnight it seems to be just as strong as when I brew it but it doesn't make me as jittery and it seems to have a smoother taste. I don't drink coffee everyday, just when I need a little extra energy so I plan on making some and keeping it in the fridge.
dunno about letting it get sunlight / warmth? I was always advised to put it in the fridge (cold+dark) before and after. Either way, the end product is the proof
Old 19-07-2016, 11:31   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On board at the moment day time temps are 30+, dropping to 24-26 overnight, so my cold brew is not very cold .

Personally, I would add warm water if you want the flavour to be extracted a bit better rather than leaving it in the sun. Sunlight tends to deteriotate flavour.

We are continuing to enjoy our cold brew tremendously as iced coffee every afternoon. It is a real treat after a swim .

SWL
Old 19-07-2016, 13:55   #23

We fresh grind (whole beans keep stay fresh longer in our experience, so we can pack our favorites from home) then steep 2-3" of grounds in a French press overnight (cold water). Makes a strong concentrate that dilutes to 2 quarts of bold yet smooth coffee. The French press makes pouring/filtering/spilling a non-issue

Unlike hot brewed, cold brew will keep up to a week in the fridge without affecting taste.

It's not a replacement for a fresh hot cup in cool weather, but in warm weather our regular coffee pot gets put into deep storage.

Cold coffee with a dash of sugar and some RumChata is an excellent afternoon cool down beverage

Fwiw you can do the same with tea to make iced tea, but it doesn't keep as long as hot brewed iced tea - 2 to 3 days max.
Old 31-07-2016, 12:07   #24

Thanks for the feedback everyone. it's taking me awhile to get back because like I said I don't drink coffee everyday. but I'm doing a test, I put equal amounts of coffee and water into same size jars I put one in the Sun and one just on the counter out of the Sun. tomorrow I'll do a taste test.
Old 31-07-2016, 12:14   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Down Heah, we call this Sun Tea, doesn't sound right for coffee though?
How to Make Sun Tea Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
Old 01-08-2016, 08:09   #26

I'm very surprised. I totally expected the solar coffee to be stronger but I honestly can't tell the difference.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13   #27

We discovered cold brew by accident when we unexpectedly ran out of LP about 15 years ago - haven't ever went back. The best part is you brew it, and it is instantly available without the hassle of brewing fresh.

We currently use a large tea maker and we have a mortar and pestle, bash the beans up into french press consistently then toss it in with water and let it sit overnight - then into the cool box it goes. The tea maker has a built in tea leaf strainer that keeps the large particles out of the cup.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:51   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm very surprised. I totally expected the solar coffee to be stronger but I honestly can't tell the difference.
Interesting. The mix must be pretty accommodating as long as it is not super hot. I keep mine in a cupboard for 24 hours, but room temp gets to about 30 C at the moment. I strain and chill it after 24 hours and we drink it with coffee icecubes after our dive in the afternoon, so I am not keeping it long.

In winter, I think it will be back to hot cups of aeropress. Without a microwave, heating it would be a lit of a pain for me. Just as easy to boil the kettle. We'll see. I love the smell of coffee and although the flavour is very good cold, I miss the aroma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
We discovered cold brew by accident when we unexpectedly ran out of LP about 15 years ago - haven't ever went back. The best part is you brew it, and it is instantly available without the hassle of brewing fresh.

We currently use a large tea maker and we have a mortar and pestle, bash the beans up into french press consistently then toss it in with water and let it sit overnight - then into the cool box it goes. The tea maker has a built in tea leaf strainer that keeps the large particles out of the cup.
Do you refrigerate it without straining it? I once kept it unstrained for 48 hours, and it was probably my imagination, but it did not taste as smooth.

SWL
Old 01-08-2016, 11:07   #29

You may be right about it becoming more robust? But we never drink ours that slowly
Old 01-08-2016, 16:31   #30

if they're crushing by hand, grains could be quite large, so brewing takes longer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: