Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 00:13   #1

Coffee or Tea?

Do you prefer drink coffee or tea?
sammyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:02   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Coffee or Tea?

Trick question???

Depends on the occasion, quality of water, time of day, weather, company and so on.
Sometimes I strongly perfer coffee, sometimes it must be tea but mostly it doesn't matter that much.

YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:16   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup (boy!)

Why in the world are you asking?

Both drinks are God's gifts to mankind and, especially, sailors.

My boat, made in England, has a dedicated tea locker

With lots of Brits and Russians on board my boat, we go through clipper loads of tea. I drink it too. I try not to gag when the Brits put milk into theirs

But oh how I love a good cup of coffee . . .

We drink more tea underway, especially when on night watch, where we sometimes drink "chefir", the Russian prison drink made from brewing far too much tea in a small amount of water. You can get a really good caffeine buzz from this (tea anyway has more caffeine than coffee).

At anchor, we drink more coffee. A Nespresso machine provides excellent espresso; otherwise we use an Aeropress or french press and grind our own beans in a ceramic burr grinder.

One of the great joys of cruising, or perhaps, of life.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... tea anyway has more caffeine than coffee ...
Tea leaves have more caffeine than coffee beans before they are brewed. Prepared, however, tea is diluted quite a bit more than most coffees. Each will vary depending on how strong you like it.

See ➥ Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - Mayo Clinic

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tea leaves have more caffeine than coffee beans before they are brewed. Prepared, however, tea is diluted quite a bit more than most coffees. Each will vary depending on how strong you like it.

See ➥ Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - Mayo Clinic
I stand corrected. Gord, you are a font of knowledge as usual!

Note, however, that chifir is not listed there That has enough caffeine to blow the top of your head off
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:31   #6

What an odd but awesome question, both of course!

I have a pantry in my head (yes, odd place for a pantry, but that's where my dry goods are kept) and have an entire shelf dedicated to tea and coffee.

I have both a French press (the French press is rarely used) and percolator. Every morning I fire up the perc on the alcohol stove, its not just about the product, the ritual and percolating sound are worth the effort on their own.

In the evening I like Egyptian camomile (non cafinated), afternoon, green tea, if I'm short on time (to percolate), then black tea in the morning.

If I plan on getting sauced I like to start out with a coffee and baileys while I'm sailing (not real baileys, the cheap wine based stuff).

I carry Argentinian matcha and pot for my little brother who needs it to stay up all night playing video games.

I have a Japanese tea set in case I feel like a ritual.

My mom works in Bolivia, and brings back Coca tea for me, which every one loves, but we dare not enter US waters with.

In cold weather I like to make tea in the Indian style, using milk instead of water and lots of spices.

If I need an energy fix I'll do black tea with a little butter.

If I really feel like chilling then camomile or a tasty herbal tea with a teaspoon of a different kind of butter

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote