Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 02:59   #106

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran
Re: Coffee maker...

My Italian wife likes very strong espresso coffee- small but nearly like syrup !

So we have bought a Nespresso machine for the boat (expensive to feed I know) to go with Italian espresso maker that we will use on the gas hob.

Fortunately my wife only drinks 2 or max 3 cups a day.
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnut View Post
My Italian wife likes very strong espresso coffee- small but nearly like syrup !

So we have bought a Nespresso machine for the boat (expensive to feed I know) to go with Italian espresso maker that we will use on the gas hob.

Fortunately my wife only drinks 2 or max 3 cups a day.
I was amazed at how good the AeroPress is. The coffee is easily as good as the Bialetti stove top espresso maker, possibly better! I think I can only have one cup a day from the AeroPress - still buzzing!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:28   #108

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran

Thanks for the recommendation NornaBiron, I will try to get my hands on one.
Though I am a bit nervous at having my wife buzzing
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59   #109

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

3 types for me:
1. Easy instant (like Reefmagnet said)
2. Cafetiere (have small and larger one), a bit more cumbersome
3. Otto machine, for that once a day coffee that one must have. Hmmm, expensive, quite a ritual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	otto-coffee.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	98198  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:37   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnut View Post
Thanks for the recommendation NornaBiron, I will try to get my hands on one.
Though I am a bit nervous at having my wife buzzing
I second the Aeropress recommendation. I bought one a year ago after reading a few posts here giving glowing recommendations.
My beautiful SS espresso pot has been unused during this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
3 types for me:
3. Otto machine, for that once a day coffee that one must have. Hmmm, expensive, quite a ritual
The ritual is the whole part of the process for me . With time on my hands now, I can enjoy grinding the beans (when I can get my hands on any) and the wonderful aroma. TLC goes into the Aeropress process with the aim of making each cup as perfect as I can .

PS I can also recommend the Japanese Hario handheld grinder. I did a lot of research before ordering this and. I have not been disappointed.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:49   #111

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I bought an Aeropress last month based on recommendation by someone earlier in this thread. It does make good coffee. Like old fashioned drip coffee made with BOILING water. None of the electric machines get the water hot enough to make really good coffee. I am sold on this little Aeropress. Takes almost no space to store, which makes it perfect for boats. I bought 2 of the tiny metal disk filters so do not have to mess with paper filters.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:09   #112

Boat: Beneteau 393

I sea most sailors put more thought and effort into their morning coffee than I do. I try to KISS where I can - Keep it simple Stillwell.

Faberware stainless steel percolator, water, two scoops of whatever coffee is on sale. Purc on stove for 5-10 minutes and enjoy.

Easy, simple, feeds my caffeine addiction. Parts are cheap, easy to find and replace. When my propane runs out, I cook it on my Magma Grill.

Stainless steel percolator doesn't break if...when...I drop it. No filters to clean or replace. To me, the coffee is consistently better than the $5 tar I get at Starbucks.

Percolator can be used to heat water for tea, hot chocolate or washing dishes.

We used a French press for a couple of years, but bought the Faberware when it broke.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:26   #113

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I bought an Aeropress last month based on recommendation by someone earlier in this thread. It does make good coffee. Like old fashioned drip coffee made with BOILING water. None of the electric machines get the water hot enough to make really good coffee. I am sold on this little Aeropress. Takes almost no space to store, which makes it perfect for boats. I bought 2 of the tiny metal disk filters so do not have to mess with paper filters.

Judy
I've had an Aeropress for three years and I will never give it up. I also have the metal screens. This is the best little coffee maker going.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:35   #114

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

Judy
Yup we bought one about 6 months ago and now our drip maker just sits there.

One thing about the Aeropress, is it uses paper filters, but still makes a great cup. It important to me as drinking coffee filtered with a screen can help lead to increased blood cholesterol levels. Seriously..
How Coffee Raises Cholesterol -- ScienceDaily

Anyway.. Here is another item that is a MUST. A manual grinder that is fantastic (and costs less than $30).
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-M...coffee+grinder
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:35   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Coffee maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I was amazed at how good the AeroPress is. The coffee is easily as good as the Bialetti stove top espresso maker, possibly better! I think I can only have one cup a day from the AeroPress - still buzzing!

I too based on this thread bought an Aero press a couple of months ago. I use as much espresso, (almost powder), not coffee as you can pile onto that scoop, and fill the water to the number 4, stir and let it sit. I use an almost equal amount of steamed milk too, that goes into a Thermos coffee cup with lid (16 Oz, I think) and it's my one cup of coffee for the day.
After being Married for 33 yrs, I actually have the wife drinking coffee now, well actually Mocha, but I could never get her to drip any brewed type of coffee beofre, she is of the Pepsi generation, Dr Pepper actually, but there is an enormous amount of calories there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34   #116

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
......... It important to me as drinking coffee filtered with a screen can help lead to increased blood cholesterol levels. Seriously..

Not a worry on our boat. My total cholesterol is 118 and ratios are perfect. Husband's count is also well below 150. Coffee is not going to have any negative effects on that. I like not having to deal with the paper filters. To me, that was one of the best features of using this Aeropress. Plus, it is sturdy plastic and tiny, which is perfect for any boat. There are only 2 persons on our boat and we each drink only 1 cup of coffee each morning. I do not think the Aeropress would be good for a larger crew or for people who drink 5 cups each morning. Unless they want to boil water 5 times.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44   #117

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup we bought one about 6 months ago and now our drip maker just sits there.

One thing about the Aeropress, is it uses paper filters, but still makes a great cup. It important to me as drinking coffee filtered with a screen can help lead to increased blood cholesterol levels. Seriously..

Anyway.. Here is another item that is a MUST. A manual grinder that is fantastic (and costs less than $30).
Amazon.com: Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini: French Presses: Kitchen & Dining

Oh, Prunella - I hadn't heard this one and googled it. Dr Weil is a well known health "expert" and what he did was look at deep/long/broad research that seemed to show that coffee consumption had little effect on cardiac morbidity.

Does Coffee Raise Cholesterol? - Ask Dr. Weil

Research such as the stuff posted above is what I refer to as "epidemic of the week" Great to read but of little true impact as the research mostly addresses issues in a vacuum but doesn't look at a long range picture. In fact, the US Fed Gov't recently revamped its guidelines on dietary cholesterol intake - basically saying that it ain't what you eat, it is more about your genetics.

The Way We Think About Cholesterol Could Soon Change

This change started to happen when doom was predicted after folks eschewed carbs and ate bacon, steak, eggs - etc (Atkins diet). There were dire predictions of a massive increase in folks dropping dead with a handful of fried chicken in their hands. When the predictions didn't come true, a review of decades of evidence seemed to reveal that eating foods high in saturated fat (stay AWAY from hydrogenated fats) isn't related to fatty vascular disease. More evidence is coming out that it has more to do with your genetics and inflammatory processes than it does to what you eat.

Use paper filters if you want. Just make sure it is recycled, uses no dyes or bleaches in the process, and dispose of properly so as to keep crud out of the environment.

For me, I'm going with the Mocha.

Bialetti Moka Express Moka Pot

Fair winds
Old 06-03-2015, 10:02   #118

Boat: Hunter 340

Starbucks instant coffee packs is the best. I buy them on line for 35 cents each and use them at home and on the boat. Fast and simple. No mess to deal with!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53   #119

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Oh, Prunella - I hadn't heard this one and googled it. Dr Weil is a well known health "expert" and what he did was look at deep/long/broad research that seemed to show that coffee consumption had little effect on cardiac morbidity.

Does Coffee Raise Cholesterol? - Ask Dr. Weil

Research such as the stuff posted above is what I refer to as "epidemic of the week" Great to read but of little true impact as the research mostly addresses issues in a vacuum but doesn't look at a long range picture. In fact, the US Fed Gov't recently revamped its guidelines on dietary cholesterol intake - basically saying that it ain't what you eat, it is more about your genetics.

The Way We Think About Cholesterol Could Soon Change

This change started to happen when doom was predicted after folks eschewed carbs and ate bacon, steak, eggs - etc (Atkins diet). There were dire predictions of a massive increase in folks dropping dead with a handful of fried chicken in their hands. When the predictions didn't come true, a review of decades of evidence seemed to reveal that eating foods high in saturated fat (stay AWAY from hydrogenated fats) isn't related to fatty vascular disease. More evidence is coming out that it has more to do with your genetics and inflammatory processes than it does to what you eat.

Use paper filters if you want. Just make sure it is recycled, uses no dyes or bleaches in the process, and dispose of properly so as to keep crud out of the environment.

For me, I'm going with the Mocha.

Bialetti Moka Express Moka Pot

Fair winds
I'm not sure who the hell Dr Weil is, but the link I posted above was of a Co-Authored peer review study a in reputable science magazine. All the Drs that worked on the study, work for real reputable universities. That research can be found referenced by many reputable schools and science organization.

To help backup that research, here is another study printed by American Journal of Epidemiology.
Coffee Consumption and Serum Lipids: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials

I certainly wouldn't call this "epidemic of the week". Its been known for a long time that eating certain substances (without any amounts of cholesterol) will have a negative effect on blood cholesterol. It has also been known that the amount of cholesterol intake orally has amost zero effect on blood cholesterol. While there is no doubt that genetics play a factor, there is also no doubt that diet can contribute as well.

Personally, its no skin off my ass to drink my Aeropress with a paper filter. They are cheap, readily available and we reuse them for about 4 cups. Your mileage may vary.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:26   #120
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Now....WHO stirs clockwise and WHO stirs counterclockwise.......?

We certainly are an anally retentive lot!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote