Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 20:08   #61

Re: Coffee maker...

When anchored or moored and without guests I make coffee in a turkish pot. The key is extra fine grind. We're talking very, very extra fine, flour-like grind. To the point that it can be drunk with the grounds for most flavor.

My second choice is Italian stove top esspresso maker. But the larger models don't make as good of coffee as smaller ones.

The third choice (first with guests on board) is the French press.

I'm a morning coffee nut (can't function unless I have my particular cup) and keep well over 30 various non electric coffee makers (of which 4-5 are always onboard) and about a dozen electric ones. But of course most end up rarely used with just 2 or 3 everyday favorites.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 20:48   #62

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When anchored or moored and without guests I make coffee in a turkish pot. The key is extra fine grind. We're talking very, very extra fine, flour-like grind. To the point that it can be drunk with the grounds for most flavor.
Its known as an "ibrik" and I wholeheartedly agree. Best coffee/coffeemaker on planet Earth. You do have to watch the pot constantly as it quickly boils up and overflows the ibrik if you're not careful. There is a brand of coffee sold in some shops - usually in Greek neighborhoods - that is ground specifically for the ibrik. Venezolos is the brand name.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 21:22   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Ok. What is that?
See my link in Post #37 above.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 21:45   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Its known as an "ibrik" and I wholeheartedly agree. Best coffee/coffeemaker on planet Earth. You do have to watch the pot constantly as it quickly boils up and overflows the ibrik if you're not careful. There is a brand of coffee sold in some shops - usually in Greek neighborhoods - that is ground specifically for the ibrik. Venezolos is the brand name.
Yes, ibrik or jezzve. I stopped buying pre-ground coffee long time ago.

Old 09-12-2014, 21:49   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Stove top Bialetti espresso maker. Best coffee ever. We use a mechanical SS frother. Easy to clean. Indistinguishable from cafe con leche bought from any barrista. Since you are making a smaller volume of coffee there is less need for fuel. Heating the milk takes only about 1 minute.
My vote for quality stovetop coffee maker is Lavazzo. I have exact model, their smallest size. It only makes 1 small 1-2oz esspresso cup but it's perfect every time.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:28   #66

Go the Aeropress! Must have good coffee at sea, and good rum in port.... or add port to rum... I forget
OldLessSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:47   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coffee maker...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43   #68

Boat: Skookum 53'

I think I'm in love!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:00   #69

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

We use an Coleman perculator, no glass parts to break. It's been tossed off the counter a number of times when I forget to put it in the sink after filling my mug. I use it on our seaswing stove which works out great for soup, coffee ect.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:04   #70

Boat: Tartan 4100

Been using a SS French Press for many years now and am very happy with it...

http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Desi...=1418220159817
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:23   #71

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

It has been touched on in this thread and I would like to reiterate...

It is critical to not use boiling water in the French press or camp coffee. Boil the water and then add an estimated dollop of cold water to bring the temperature down to 190 F (or just make it a little cooler.) Then pour the water into the press or add the coffee to the pot in the case of the camp coffee.

I wasted 30 years drinking bitter camp coffee before someone cued me in.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
ZEE, I'll shoe you mine if you show us yours. Zassenhaus, one of the best hand grinders. We keep whole beans in the freezer in a sealed container.
I would dispute that .
The Hario ceramic hand grinders produce very uniform particles. They are inexpensive and beautifully crafted with Japanese precision. I did a lot of research and without going to expensive equipment they are apparently the best.

My only problem now is sourcing the beans .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
It has been touched on in this thread and I would like to reiterate...

It is critical to not use boiling water in the French press or camp coffee. Boil the water and then add an estimated dollop of cold water to bring the temperature down to 190 F (or just make it a little cooler.) Then pour the water into the press or add the coffee to the pot in the case of the camp coffee.

I wasted 30 years drinking bitter camp coffee before someone cued me in.
I wholeheartedly agree. I have been using water at roughly 85°C (185°F) in an Aeropress since April and there is zero bitterness each time. The intense aroma is just magic . A digital thermometer is great for this.

I dampen the filter first, add coffee, water, stir about 10 seconds. Let it sit 20 seconds, then take 30 seconds to slowly push the water through. It is the only reason I need to wear a watch (well, that and setting the anchor properly).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:48   #73

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Some drift here but we had an incident on the North Atlantic where at a critical juncture the boat took a severe lurch. The coffee in the press launched into the cabin. Coffee and grounds ended up in and on the navigation laptop (and throughout the galley.)

It took two days to get the laptop functional. We slowly dried it on low in the oven in a semi-sealed pan to keep the water vapor generated by the propane combustion out. In the end only one of the keys never functioned again. I don't remember which one though. Dell repaired the keyboard a year and a half later.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:07   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I would dispute that .
The Hario ceramic hand grinders produce very uniform particles. They are inexpensive and beautifully crafted with Japanese precision. I did a lot of research and without going to expensive equipment they are apparently the best.

My only problem now is sourcing the beans .

I wholeheartedly agree. I have been using water at roughly 85°C (185°F) in an Aeropress since April and there is zero bitterness each time. The intense aroma is just magic . A digital thermometer is great for this.

I dampen the filter first, add coffee, water, stir about 10 seconds. Let it sit 20 seconds, then take 30 seconds to slowly push the water through. It is the only reason I need to wear a watch (well, that and setting the anchor properly).
I forget the name of the French movie from the 80s (may be early 90s) where a young couple escapes to a remote seaside village in Brittany. They're staying with some elderly lecher who has his eyes on the girl. So one morning as the couple still various stages of being semi-dressed is getting ready for breakfast the old lecher is teaching them how to make a perfect cup of coffee. In the French press of course. While licking his lips eyeing the girl he keeps saying "Gotta get the grounds wet first, gotta get the grounds wet...". Hilarious.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:11   #75

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Just remember when securing supplies for the ibrik that you take care to not refer to the coffee as Turkish style when in Greece or Greek coffee when in Turkey.

Not unless you want the war to start all over again.