Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38   #46

Re: Coffee maker...

The US Navy runs on coffee and floor wax, but the coffee was so nasty, I considered drinking the floor wax instead. I quit drinking coffee until after I left the Navy, the difference in what they buy and what they sell in grocery stores doesn't even compare, it's like they pack dirt into a can and label it "coffee."
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 13:05   #47

Boat: Catalina 387

I've used cowboy coffee, stovetop expresso makers, french press, and just got an aeropress.

IMHO, For flavor:

1. The stovetop expresso maker - hands down. I can make a cafe con leche that would pass in Spain with one of those (and a battery powered milk frother)
2. The french press
3. The aeropress

Ease of cleanup:

1. The aeropress - No water needed. Just pop out the puck and wipe the bottom off.
2. The expresso maker
3. French press - what a mess, and lots of water to wash it up.

The aeropress coffee was good, just not as strong as I like. I'll need to experiment with it more.

At home I use a Keurig, which is mediocre coffee... But it's easy.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:02   #48

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

To get the Aeropress to make stronger coffee:

1) Be sure to grind fine. Then when pouring in the hot water, first pour in just a little to wet the filter and let the fines settle thus slowing/stopping the drip through the filter. Then pour in the rest of the water. Stir a bit, but not too violently. Keep the fines in/near the paper. This way it can brew a bit longer. When pressing, S-L-O-W is the word.

2) Another option is to use it upside down. Put the plunger on its end and slide the tube over it just a bit. Add your coffee and hot water. Put the filter and filter holder on. Let it brew for as long as you like, then flip the whole thing over on your mug and press.

I've tried both methods, and I prefer option 1, but that's just me.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:05   #49

Boat: Catalina 387

Thanks -- That's along the lines I was thinking for a stronger brew. I'll try that next time I use it. (So far I'm at cup #7, so I do have lots of experimenting left)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:25   #50

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"I think there is quite a difference in what a good cup of coffee tastes like in N America vs Europe where they like it strong and bold."

Ain't that the truth! Since arriving in the USA, we've been very disappointed by the weak, luke-warm and often stale brews that've been served to us as coffee. There's no excuse either as we've had no difficulty finding decent ground coffee in an of the US grocery stores.

For onboard coffee we have a stainless steel French press (though we call it a cafetiere) for the initial morning caffeine injection, then through the day when the good lady moves on too tea (re-stock that on visits back to the UK) I use a smartcafe mug (an insulated cafetiere-mug). I've noticed several references to cleaning difficulties; we have a seawater tap and with the press all staineless and the smartcafes all plastic, we clear them out with seawater and just wash/rinse in fresh
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:29   #51

When my coffee make died after about a decade, I looked at new models but after reading reviews and looking at prices I came to my senses.

Making coffee is SIMPLE and one does not need to spend a bunch of money to brew some joe.

I bought a stainless steel funnel and a one quart Pyrex measuring "cup" that I can use for other things in the kitchen.

Coffee is supposed to be brewed with water around 190 degrees give or take.

Filled up the Pyrex with a bit more than a quart of water and figure out my microwave takes 7.5 minutes to get to the right temperature.

I have used a reusable coffee filter for years which I fill with coffee, a bit of salt, and sugar, place the filter in the funnel, and put the funnel over which ever thermos I am using that day. Pour hot water over grounds. Wait for water to drip from ground. Throw away grounds, wash funnel and filter, then drink coffee.

Easy, cheap, reliable with multi tasking devices for the kitchen/galley.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The US Navy runs on coffee and floor wax, but the coffee was so nasty, I considered drinking the floor wax instead. I quit drinking coffee until after I left the Navy, the difference in what they buy and what they sell in grocery stores doesn't even compare, it's like they pack dirt into a can and label it "coffee."
It's probably Folgers.
Old 08-12-2014, 14:59   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It's probably Folgers.
I drink Folgers....

Folgers Gourmet!

I used to buy whole beans and grind them. I would buy from a specialty grocery store. Even subscribed to Gevalia but they went downhill so I stopped.

Visited family one time and the only coffee they had in the house was Folgers Gourmet...

That had been under the sink and opened for a year or so...

NEEDED coffee so I made due with a perculator.

Twas not bad at all, and with fresh coffee made at home, just as good if not better than the various so called better coffees I was drinking.

When, possible, I used to travel with my coffee maker AND water from the house to make coffee which some might think is picky. Folgers Gourmet has been very good and consistent. Lately, it has even been on sale!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 17:36   #54

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

..I agree 150% with this statement
I gonna tried the aeropress. We have a french press but yes.. you need water to clean up..
Instantaneous coffee is a sacrilege for me and I considered pass by the hull at the poor guy who tried to ask for one while I'm the captain...
Old 09-12-2014, 17:54   #55

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I use a smartcafe mug (an insulated cafetiere-mug).
Ok. What is that?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 18:22   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
melitta cone drip after hand grinding good beans.
ZEE, I'll shoe you mine if you show us yours. Zassenhaus, one of the best hand grinders. We keep whole beans in the freezer in a sealed container.

Has anyone worked out the most energy efficient way to make hot water? Open flame has to be worst. When we have 110 AC available this electric French Press heats a large pot to boil in only a very few minutes. 1500 Watts. I can run from the 2KW inverter but that's about 65 amps of 24vdc. I suppose that 4 minutes to boil works out to 4.2 Amp hours. If the 12KW generator is running, it is no worry. The microwave is about the same watts but seems to take longer.

Does anyone make a DC version of an electric 1-2 cup heater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRENCH PRESS 1500 Watt.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	93301   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZASSENHAUS.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	93302  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 18:26   #57
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Mr. Coffee drip unit.
Old 09-12-2014, 18:31   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
We use double walled SS French presses both ashore and on the boat, compact, durable, make great coffee, and keep it warm for a long time, no filters to deal with or find in remote ports.
+1

As well, if you need more just add a couple of more scoops and fill'er up.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 18:39   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Interesting thread. As usual there is just about every known method of making coffee represented here as "The Best".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 19:34   #60

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Stove top Bialetti espresso maker. Best coffee ever. We use a mechanical SS frother. Easy to clean. Indistinguishable from cafe con leche bought from any barrista. Since you are making a smaller volume of coffee there is less need for fuel. Heating the milk takes only about 1 minute.