Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2015, 12:38   #16

Re: Cocktail Recipe -- Mint Julep

I just discovered the Gin Rickey. Gin in soda with a squeeze of lime and some sugar. Delicate, almost dainty. Killer of sobriety.

While the crew drank rum, in the 19th Century on the ocean green -- that's the Atlantic -- the captain drank Pink Gin. That's a Plymouth Gin, not a dry gin, and angostura bitters, a tablespoon. Down the hatch! With yer boots on BTW.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:11   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is for Seaworthy Lass, who I will bet dollars to doughnuts has never had one of these.

In fact very few people out of this drink's geographical origin have ever actually tried one. That is because it is not really amenable to being made in bars -- too labor intensive -- and besides that, you simply cannot make it by measuring out the spirits in niggardly jiggers.

So here it is:

The main thing is you need generous quantities of fresh mint leaves, and plenty of ice.

Take a large double handful of fresh mint leaves, and if you know where they came from, don't wash them. Or if not, wash them, towel them off very, very gently, then let them air dry. They must not be wet.

Take a bowl of sugar -- note that there are no measures here -- typical of Southern cooking. A decent size cooking bowl, with a few inches of white cane sugar in the bottom. Pile in the fresh mint leaves, and using your fingers, crush the leaves and grind them up using the sugar as an abrasive. This process is called "muddling". The proportion is right when you get a thick green paste with fragments of mint leaves and stems in it. You must not add any water -- the sap and oils from the crushed mint leaves forms all of the liquid needed to dissolve the sugar, when you have the proportions right. This green goop is amazingly aromatic.

OK, now take some ice. Wrap it up in a kitchen towel and bludgeon the s***t out of it with a hammer or other blunt instrument. Do not be tempted use a blender, crusher, or any other mechanical means -- it is essential that the ice particles NOT be of regular size. Some of the ice should be almost powdered; some of it should be in larger chunks.

Fill a tumbler completely full with the crushed ice. Ideally, the tumbler should be pewter or sterling, but that's not essential. Take a generous heaping tablespoon full of the green goop you made in the first step, and glop it onto the ice. Then take some whiskey -- Bourbon or sour mash or rye or moonshine, but best of all Kentucky bourbon -- need not be expensive -- and pour it in slowly until the tumbler is completely full.

Serve and enjoy!

This drink is particularly good in hot weather, as it's cold and refreshing. It is also very, very strong - the bourbon is undiluted by anything except the ice -- so your guests will get wasted very fast.

The drink was invented as a way to mask the awful taste of the rotgut spirits used on the frontier in the 18th century, at least, that's what my great-grandmother told me. It is a traditional summer libation in the Deep South of the U.S.

It used to be -- maybe it still goes on -- that Mississippi expatriates in New York City would gather once a year in the summer for a picnic in Central Park. I attended a few of these in the '70's and '80's. These were jolly affairs, with a large proportion of New York's literary and publishing world attending (the "Mississippi Mafia" of the literature world in those days), and a multitude of other white and black people living in New York but homesick for Mississippi. The Governor of Mississippi, William Winters, flew up one year in a private plane with a bale of fresh mint leaves, to make vats of mint juleps.
Oh, aromatic is just doesn't cover it . The smell is almost orgasmic!

I have found mint for the first time since this recipe was posted .

I deviated from the recipe only that I used less sugar and a stone mortar and pestle instead of my fingers for crushing. The smell is just heavenly .

Why haven't I discovered muddled mint before? I will try grilling some nectarines tonight and will add a splash of Jack Daniels and a dollop of muddled mint. Should be divine.

I popped ice cubes into a thick plastic freezer bag (on a roll from Liddl and very good for this purpose) and having not found a hammer in the workshop, I gave the cubes a bash with the end of a big spanner. Did the job beautifully and quite satisfying hearing the ice shatter with each bash .

Anyway, the photo below shows sundowner preparations this evening before and after the bourbon was poured.

Miz Scarlett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	103132  

Old 03-06-2015, 09:40   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oh, aromatic is just doesn't cover it . The smell is almost orgasmic!

I have found mint for the first time since this recipe was posted .

I deviated from the recipe only that I used less sugar and a stone mortar and pestle instead of my fingers for crushing. The smell is just heavenly .

Why haven't I discovered muddled mint before? I will try grilling some nectarines tonight and will add a splash of Jack Daniels and a dollop of muddled mint. Should be divine.

I popped ice cubes into a thick plastic freezer bag (on a roll from Liddl and very good for this purpose) and having not found a hammer in the workshop, I gave the cubes a bash with the end of a big spanner. Did the job beautifully and quite satisfying hearing the ice shatter with each bash .

Anyway, the photo below shows sundowner preparations this evening before and after the bourbon was poured.

Miz Scarlett
Congratulations! The joy of juleps in the summer time

A couple of suggestions:

1. The ice should be smashed up more than that. A good part of it should be dust. This is the only dilution that your rotgut will get. The point of varying particle sizes resulting from hand smashing is that the particles will melt at different rates, giving you some dilution while still keeping some bigger pieces intact to continue cooling the drink (the ambient air temp will be hot, if drunk in the proper context ).

2. Bourbon will be much, much better than Jack, if you can get some (N.B. -- Jack Daniel's is not bourbon, but rather, sour mash). Although the drink was invented to hide the taste of rotgut whiskey, it does benefit more than regular mixed drinks from better stuff. You don't need to go crazy with expensive single barrel bourbon, but something like Maker's Mark is well worth it.

3. The muddled mint will be different if it is abraded by sugar, rather than with a mortar and pestle. Suggest some experimentation.

4. Washing and handling the mint will dissipate the aromatic oils -- be sure to keep that to a minimum. Best of all is home grown in a clean garden (obviously not an option at anchor) and put straight into the sugar bowl with no washing or handling.

For our part, we are enjoying extremely much your homemade tonic. Just about finished the first batch and time to start thinking about making another one. I had to give away a small bottle of the stuff plus part of my chinone stash to a departing crew member yesterday -- he refused to leave the boat without it . It's a revolution in G&T drinking for sure
Old 03-06-2015, 10:20   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
For our part, we are enjoying extremely much your homemade tonic. Just about finished the first batch and time to start thinking about making another one. I had to give away a small bottle of the stuff plus part of my chinone stash to a departing crew member yesterday -- he refused to leave the boat without it . It's a revolution in G&T drinking for sure
Dockhead - are you back to G&T's? I thought The Botanist had converted you to only martinis
Old 03-06-2015, 10:27   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead - are you back to G&T's? I thought The Botanist had converted you to only martinis
For me martinis are a cold climate drink.

Summer is here in the Med and G&T's, Pimms & soda and now Mint juleps, rule .

I must admit though, my head is now spinning from the julep. It is deadly!

SWL
Old 03-06-2015, 12:20   #21

Boat: 37C Hunter

Definitely going to try this! Yum!

Waiting for sundown,
Camile
s/v Obsession
www.mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com
Old 03-06-2015, 12:28   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I don't have enough Botanist to drink it every day. It's definitely for special occasions.

My last departing crewman left a present of about 24 bottles of assorted gin, Beefeater's, Greenall's, Propeller, etc., so there will be plenty of G&T drinking this summer
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46   #23
cruiser

some sailors y'all are... -cough-RUM-cough-mojitos-cough-caipirinhas
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As a spin off from Mint Julep, try Nectarines la SWL .

The recipe is simple:
- Halve some nectarines, stone them and grill (or pan fry upside down).
- Muddle a big handful of fresh mint leaves (don't cut them) with a couple of teaspoons of sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent the mix browning
- Pour a little Jack Daniels into the centre of each grilled peach
- Spoon on the muddled mint and garnish with fresh tips of mint.

An absolutely scrumptious combination:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	103184  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: