Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 13:36   #1

Boat: Bayliner, 2655, 27'9"
Choosing a Propane Grill to attach to the boat

Been seriously thinking about installing a Grill (GEE FRICKIN WIZ ARE THEY HIGH FOR WHAT THEY ARE)

Anyway I was thinking about one of the models that attach to the side of your boat and swing out over the water. I would attach on the rear port side of the boat between the two back seats just a little forward of where the aft shower door is..
(if you have one and found a better location do tell)

My main question is what grill and mounting method has anyone found to be best.
My boat is only 27.5' plus swim platform and I would not have a HUGE group to cook for aboard so I was looking at the 14" Magma Kettle but worried it might be too small. Then I wondered if I should go with a rectangular model but NONE of those from what I can tell flip out over the water and stay more over the side of the boat and I think it would be best to get it a tad further out like the swing out models of the Kettle.
I'd rather not have $500 in a stupid grill, I think before that I would rig something for my old stainless propane camp stove or just use the stove in the cabin. But really other than boiling water and using the microwave I don't like smoking up the cabin with bacon, bacon grease, etc.
Sporting Goods: Compare Prices, Reviews & Buy Online @ Yahoo! Shopping
I'd like to hear from those that have had one or two or more PROPANE models on their runabouts or cruisers and what they found worked best. Do you know of somewhere that offers better deals? Thus far Overtons, Defender and the like are about midways in pricing with some places being about $50 lower for same models. This is the 15" Kettle for about $150
Magma Marine Kettle Gas Grill Original 15" w/ Hinged Lid - A10-205
Trail made rectangular model about the same money
Magma Marine Trail Mate Gas Grill from Wholesale Marine
..and either way you go you have to buy a darn mount $30-$60 itself.
Models brings up another questions. What is the difference in a Magma and a Magma II other than about $40-$60? I'm only interested in PROPANE!
A10-005

On the Bayliner Owners Club Forum someone said magma were junk and to get a Force 10 grill. I only found a couple and didn't see similar mounting options like the Magma offered.

At least they are made in the USA! Please let me know your experiences.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle A10.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	58847
E_HILLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Choosing a Propane Grill to attach to the boat

We have a small Magma that we put on the back of Boracay.

A few thoughts:-
* It's a good idea to make it removable. Leaving dock our stern swings in and ... well don't ask unless you want to know how to panel beat a Magma!
* The BBQ part works really well. Too well sometimes. We brought an iron hot plate that we put on top of the grill that works well. Sometimes I'd like it to run quite a bit cooler.
* I see some small BBQs from time to time, probably imported. May be worth a look see.
* If you can get a BBQ that also doubles as an oven that would be desirable.
* The small Magma is plenty big enough for two.
* A small BBQ is going to be much easier to clean - always seems to be my job.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:07   #3

Boat: too many

Since it is a power boat and your house bank of batteries would be charged while cruising, have you considered an electric BBQ if you already have an inverter? I use a 1650 watt electric BBQ that will cook 6 steaks, 2" thick, for around 700 w-hr. Less than $100, fully enclosed and has a removable drip cup, so can be set on any flat surface or table without making a mess.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We carry a Magma aboard, similar to the one pictured, but our lid is removable, not hinged. It works OK, although it's slightly less temperature-controllable as breeze increases.

I've heard Force 10 make some decent stuff too; wouldn't hesitate to shop on those as a potential alternative.

We use a Magma rod-holder mount system, since we have rod-holders on three sides of our cockpit. (If you don't have rod-holders, it might not be impossible to install one or several.)

I usually set up the grill so it's slightly outboard, with the propane bottle slightly supported by the gun'le... We don't keep it mounted all the time, since it would become a target for every pile on that side during docking. Plus even with good stainless, the salt water atmosphere would eventually begin to tell...

Cleaning after a greasy fry-up can be a pain in the neck, since the unit is slightly larger than our galley sink. I've taken to fully lining with tin foil, even under the center jets, so MOST of the drippings can be captured and (eventually) simply wadded up in the foil and discarded in garbage. Another option is choosing dishes that lend themselves toward cooking in foil or pots (roasts, etc.)...

-Chris
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57   #5

We have the smaller Magma mounted on our starboard rail near the stern. It works very very well. I found that the piping that the bottle screws into is just BARELY held into the main body of the grill by a tiny clip. This worried me, so I usually remove this when done cooking and stow (with bottle) in the cockpit seats. I see peopel all the time with the bottle attached, but that seems to me like it would surely fall off if any type of rough ride.

We are very very happy with the grill. Lights up fast, plenty hot. Ours is an older model with the cover attached by a cable lanyard.

I too was surprised by the cost new. . . so trolled around on Craigslist for a while and found a "used" one (that was almost like new) for a third the cost.

~mark
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We have been using the Magma 14" dia one for many years.

At $124 its small enough to stow and we have cooked for 6 people with it with no problems. We mount it off the stern for the whole season. Made a sumbrella bag to cover it and the small tank so it looks nice

Magma Original Marine Kettle Charcoal BBQ Grill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magma Grill.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	58906  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05   #7

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

We have had both the large and small Magma. I think the large one is overkill unless you are regularly feeding a family or friends. With just the admiral and I on board 98% of the time, we find the smaller one very adequate and easier to store/manage.

BTW, I agree that they are ridiculously expensive. But I guess they charge what the market will bear.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:06   #8

With the magma. Tether the regulator to the grill when you drop him overboard it cost you $35 p I've had both around and a rectangular I like the rectangular one better
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:13   #9

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
We have a rectangular magma on the stern rail. Newport model I believe. Works well, nice and hot, but three issues. Yes, like the other posters we always take the bottle off when not in use. Next, the rail brackets never stay tight and the grill always slips on the rail. It's a pain. I inserted little pieces of rubber garden hose inside the rail brackets but they still slip. Finally, I can't see whether the grill is lit in bright sunlight. No visible flame, but I just hold my hand over it to feel whether the heat is putting out.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, E_HILLMAN.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37   #11

Boat: Bayliner, 2655, 27'9"

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm thinking I am going to like your forum a lot. I was new to Cruiser boating last year and can use all the expertise from others I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Since it is a power boat and your house bank of batteries would be charged while cruising, have you considered an electric BBQ if you already have an inverter? I use a 1650 watt electric BBQ that will cook 6 steaks, 2" thick, for around 700 w-hr. Less than $100, fully enclosed and has a removable drip cup, so can be set on any flat surface or table without making a mess.
I would rather cook over a open flame. I have a generator and a Electric/alcohol stove in the cabin but I would like to grill and also keep some of the smoke/smell out of the cabin.

Can you use any stone or flavor wood strips on these grills to help flavor along like you do with your backyard propane grills?
E_HILLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:07   #12

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA

I also have the Magma Newport and have used it on board for four years. First, I see no need to swing it overboard. In fact, I think that only invites feeding the fishes. It's fully enclosed and has a drip tray for grease. Ditto on the regulator. My problem was a broken knob which wasn't available without buyin the whole regulator. Bummer! I keep the regulator and bottle in place when not in use. It locks in with half a turn and is solid. Fringe benefit? Keeps the canvas cover from blowing away. Cover is a bit pricey but highly recommended. Four years and the grill looks like new. The only problem I have had is that the burner burned out. Easy to replace and readily available from West. We bought ours on sale for just over $200. Finally size is only a little big for the two of us but just right for company and for when we want to roast a dozen clams, which is pretty often.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Cape Coral FL
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:16   #13

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

If you can find a Force 10, they are nice. unfortunately they sold their grill designs to Kuuma. Kuuma makes them much cheaper(quality).

Magma makes better grills now then they used to. Less blow-outs. much accessories.

I am looking for an older Force 10 Stow n Go. Best grill I ever had.

Shape: I hate trying to cook on round grills. Much prefer rectangle.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:27   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

We have a small Magna we bought at the Seattle Boat Show. Forget the model name, but so far we are very happy with it. Works like a charm.
Old 10-04-2013, 16:06   #15

Boat: Hunter 25.5
Another positive vote for the Magma kettle grill. Ours is mounted to the stern rail next to the swim ladder. Swings around for easy grilling from the pilots position. I also stow the regulator and tank while under way.

I've cooked a good amount for four people.

Only down side is as others have stated, heat control has a steep learning curve. Magma is a very proper name, these things get HOT!
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill, propane