Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Cheeseburger in Paradise

Are there really good cheeseburgers in Paradise? I ask as I just came back from Cancun and the "American" cheeseburgers were, well they just sucked. The texture and taste was a lot different almost to the point of making your think "this isn't really beef is it". In my normal travels when I stop for lunch somewhere new and can not decide what to have I figure it is safe to just get a cheeseburger. I have found that for the most part it is pretty hard to mess up a cheeseburger, but I wonder if this doesn't translate to other countries.

I would think that a cheeseburger would vary mostly in the cheese from place to place, as beef is beef! But is it possible that the part of the steer that gets ground-up for hamburger (I understand it called minced beef in some places) is different resulting is a completely different patty for ones burger.

So I ask you world cruisers, are there good cheeseburgers out there? Or are cheeseburgers a very very regional taste depending on there you are?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

They exist, but they are few and far between.

Beef is definitely not Beef. Particularly in the Caribbean, where the cattle graze on cactus, nettles, dried roadside grass and anything else they can find. They have no fattening in their diet, the meat is not aged and the butchers simply hack at a carcass with a machete with no concept of providing different types of "cuts". Caribbean beef is almost inedible. The French islands are an exception, as well as a few French or German expats who set up small butcher businesses in some places. If do you find those small expat shops, you will be writing a similar post as this one about the poor quality of US beef!

Goat, on the other hand is excellent in the same locales with the same diet and butchering techniques.

Of course, it depends on your definition of paradise. Chicago may be the bee's knees for some.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10   #3

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I'm a Key Wester and my take on the "cheeseburger in paradise" thing is that it was a slap in the face at tourists being down here and eating what they are used to eating (cheesburgers) as they stick to what's in their comfort zone.
I'm not sure if that is what was intended by Jimmy Buffet of whoever started that saying but in real life there is alot of truth to my take on the phrase regardless.
Cheeseburgers and many types of food suck here in Key West.

Now Conch salads and fish sandwiches on the otherhand are amazing here but they suck in Buffalo, NY.

endoftheroad
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Goat, on the other hand is excellent in the same locales with the same diet and butchering techniques.

Mark
GoatBurger in Paradise!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22   #5

Boat: Hylas 47
Cheeseburgers at Bandito's in La Paz, BCD, Mexico make me want to go back there just for the food. I swear it's not for the warm weather or the clear water or the friendly people or the tranquillo lifestyle, or the cool grill made out of a classic Chevy pickup.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59   #6

There is an excellent little restaurant on Cabbage Key, in Pine Island Sound, southwest Florida. They serve a really good cheeseburger, Jimmy Buffet has definitely been there, and some people believe the song is a tribute to that restaurant. On the other hand, I have also heard that Buffet was on a boat traveling through the Caribbean, getting tired of the rather drab galley fare, and wrote the song as he was dreaming about finding a good cheeseburger somewhere.

Now that Buffet is a part owner of a chain of restaurants named "Cheeseburger in Paradise" I think it is highly unlikely that he would admit that the song is about some other restaurant.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
Cheeseburgers at Bandito's in La Paz, BCD, Mexico make me want to go back there just for the food. I swear it's not for the warm weather or the clear water or the friendly people or the tranquillo lifestyle, or the cool grill made out of a classic Chevy pickup.
I'd say The Shack in La Paz! Highly recommended.

Also, not in "Tropical" Paradise, but paradise in it's own right is the Hummingbird Pub on Galiano Island in the British Columbia Gulf Islands. The free ride to the pub in the Hummingbird bus from Montague Harbour is a hoot too.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

That's like asking if a Taco in Mexico is the same as the Pap in a Wrap you get from Taco Bell...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

A good burger is a very complex and scientific matter. First, you need not only good beef, with appropriate marbling and aging, but also the appropriate grind, or texture. The patty must not be too tightly compressed--just loosely formed but enough to stay together. Then there's the fixin's--the bun, condiments, and toppings. Then there's the cooking method. Then there is the big question of how well done the beef should be. The best burger will be medium rare, but most North American's fear that for some pretty good reasons.

The best burgers I've ever eaten--and I've eaten burgers in quite a few parts of the world-- were found in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Medium rare; delicious!

Yes, some risk, but in Europe they've had more problems with the lettuce than with ground beef, or mince as the Brits call it.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The best cheeseburger in paradise I"ve ever had cost a pretty penny. I bought a prime cut of meat and had it ground and cooked it myself. The butcher thought we were nuts having him grind up a very expensive cut of marbled beef!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Try Le Select in St Barth's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Le-Select-St-Barths-Cheeseburger-in-Paradise1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	71728  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

It's been a while but we went to a place on Virgin Grorda in the BVI that was a burger stand on the water. It was a short boat taxi ride from the Bitter end yacht club. I remember it being good and don't remember anything negative about it at all. If you are at the bitter end yacht club you can see the place across the bay and if you ask any of the staff how to get to the "burger in paradise" they will get you a ride over. This was 12 years ago though so who knows if it's still there or how the quality still is.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:33   #13

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Vegetarians hate you guys and consider you murderers.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43   #14

Boat: Freedom 32

You're rolling the dice when you eat burgers from an unknown source. The meat industry in South Africa is well regulated or so we thought. One of our universities did random tests of minced beef from a number of leading supermarket chains and found that many were made up in part other animals, such as goat, donkey, horse, and pork. I kid you not. They had their co. spokespersons vowing to get to the bottom of it, but it eventually all went away.
I doubt that most of us would taste the difference if there was say 10% donkey in your burger.
You are what you eat. 10% an ass, some of us a bit more.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:50   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You are rolling the dice when you eat burgers from known sources. The US regularly has dangerous e. coli outbreaks in packaged ground beef.

I have no problem with goat, donkey, rat, oppossum, etc meat in my burgers. Particularly if the meats and proportions were carefully chosen to enhance my dining experience…

I do draw the line at mixing in infectious strains of bacteria, though.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote