Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 19:15   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

after a long time of no beef i usually go for caña de filete, aka fillet mignon roast.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... I believe he was given rights to free drinks and food for life in return for letting the son of the owner of Le Select use "Cheeseburger in Paradise"...
"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico and broke our bow sprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand-new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock, like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now these were the the days when supplies in that part of the world were rather scarce-when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked and what we wanted on them-to which little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toasted buns tasted like manna from heaven, for they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but this is the way it happened."
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville :: Archived Articles: Top 10 Burgers

Buffett says that he sold Marius’ son Eddy rights to the Cheeseburger In Paradise tagline in exchange for free food & drink for life.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:04   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
Fat Virgin?
Charcoal grilled.
Making me hungry
That name sounds right/familiar. Would love to be there right now!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Thanks, oh master of Google **, for posting the real answer.

Seems that Buffet experiences that same post-crossing-cheeseburger-craving too. Maybe the start of a new syndrome, PCCCS (Post Crossing Cheeseburger Craving Symdrome). Hmmm....we could apply for a reasearch grant! Extensive field research required!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

well we have been all around the caribbean -- we do not have the funds to eat out a lot BUT the best cheeseburger we ever had was on the west side at Capt Jacks in portobelo panama --
we got good beef all over the caribbean - even in the san blas - had to hunt a bit at times -
what you have to realize that the cattle are raised without cattle feed - it is natural and not a fat in the meat that gives it taste --
in tunisia we wanted some ground beef - called minced here - so he wacked off a great piece of meat that looked like a wonderful roast and ground it up - we made our own cheeseburgers but had to put grease in the pan to fry it as none came from the meat itself -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember Capt Jack's having a good burger too. We should start a list of the best burgers in paradise. Very useful cruising info since they are so hard to find.

Anyway to create such a list on CF?

Same issue with low fat meat in much of Central America...have to add some fat back in.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42   #52

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

When cruising the Baltic

Cafe Alma's in Copenhagen. Fries are pretty good too. Beers cold

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59   #53

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I'm a Key Wester and my take on the "cheeseburger in paradise" thing is that it was a slap in the face at tourists being down here and eating what they are used to eating (cheesburgers) as they stick to what's in their comfort zone. I'm not sure if that is what was intended by Jimmy Buffet of whoever started that saying but in real life there is alot of truth to my take on the phrase regardless. Cheeseburgers and many types of food suck here in Key West. Now Conch salads and fish sandwiches on the otherhand are amazing here but they suck in Buffalo, NY. endoftheroad
I agree if you're going to travel then travel. When in Mexico eat as the Mexicans would etc etc. the best part of travelling for me is experiencing something that is not familiar, from the people to the food.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16   #54

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Have some perspective on this. We are talking an occasional hankering for a specific food item, not intentionally seeking out places that allow one to exclusively immerse themselves and hide in nothing but US chain restaurants.

I bet Mexicans visiting the US sometimes crave a good fish taco, or English in the US sometimes crave a good beer.

Besides, hamburgers are a world-wide universal foodstuff and we are only discussing finding a good one, not finding one at all. Drawing a hard line is sanctimonious.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25   #55
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The difference there is that you CAN get a good fish taco in the USA in areas populated by Mexicans. you CAN get a warm English beer if you want one. Heck, you can get both in Houston no problem.

You can't say the same thing about areas in the Carib populated by North Americans.

Of course, if you haven't eaten in three days, even a conch burger on a cold tortilla tastes delicious. Don't ask.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26   #56
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

I dunno, MacDs is psuedofood and certainly not a great burger. I would not even eat them when I lived on the States...no way I would eat one now unless literally starving. Fuddruckers OTOH....wow...now that's a real burger.

I've had some good "alternative" meat burgers (emu, goat, buffalo, who knows what unknowingly) that were all quite good. Some good veggie options out there too like Portobello mushrooms.
I wrote software for Micky Ds food producers this side of the pond and Ive been in the factories making the patties, nothing wrong the meat at all.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32   #57
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
, not if you buy it from them first colemj.

I'm not badmouthing horse meat; I just personally wouldn't eat it because they've been my friends & I wouldn't want to eat them. I was saying if I thought I was buying beef I'd be ticked to find out I was eating something else..
Actually in Europe the horsemeat scandal was confined to very low grade ultra cheap burgers , You know, the £2 for a dozen stuff. The high end gourmet burgers etc never got contaminated.

You don't eat meat cause the animal is your friend ? , you friends with millions of old horses then. Lol. I'd prefer to eat it then watch it used in dog food. It has a nice flavour in my experience.

Personally the wife makes great burgers from round streak ground , grass fed Angus. No hormones , GM feed etc. just pure honest to goodness beef.

Ps; I prefer a piece of filet steak ( or even bbq ribeye ) any day to ground beef anything. !!! , then a Roquefort sauce over that , nicely cooked French fries ( thin for me , chunky for SWMBO) mmmmmmmmm.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44   #58
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Only eat ugly animals?

But horse, monkey, and dog taste so GOOD!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45   #59

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
But, BO's used to be one of my favorite stops when making landfall in KW. Great burgers I think. http://www.bosfishwagon.com/
BO's is the nastiest food in key west.
Known very well by the locals as a tourist trap.

I think maybe the food was okay years ago.
That place is undeniably the worst place in town for a fish sandwich. All Cuban bread and the thinnest mashed down piece of fish in between.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57   #60

Jaguar Reef Resort in Hopkins Belize... Hands down the best cheeseburger in paradise!

Also - don't forget to check us out on Facebook!
JDs Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote