Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

I guess I've eaten more donkey than I thought.....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Craig, look at the horse-meat scandal in Europe last year. You really don't know what you're getting unless you kill, cut & wrap yourself, regardless of where you are. And don't even do a little research about what goes into the 'fillers' in commercial burgers. Donkey would be great by comparison. I don't like it, but today you really have no idea what you're really getting, and not much choice. You just hope it won't make you sick, or worse.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55   #18

That's the best value in going cruising.... everytime you return to the states even a Macdonald's burger tastes like lobster!
OTOH... the Lobster burgers in Tonga dont taste like a Big Mac.... just sayin'.. haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's the best value in going cruising.... everytime you return to the states even a Macdonald's burger tastes like lobster!
OTOH... the Lobster burgers in Tonga dont taste like a Big Mac.... just sayin'.. haha
Guess you've never tried a burger from MacMohameds in Karachi..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You are rolling the dice when you eat burgers from known sources. The US regularly has dangerous e. coli outbreaks in packaged ground beef.

I have no problem with goat, donkey, rat, oppossum, etc meat in my burgers. Particularly if the meats and proportions were carefully chosen to enhance my dining experience…

I do draw the line at mixing in infectious strains of bacteria, though.

Mark
According to the beef industry, you can have a percentage of rat in there too. Want safe meat? I know a way.
If you carnivores get together and decide to can equally divide a whole beef, we can get it from one of my friends in Wyoming who raises Angus- and you will get one
1. Without hormones
2. Without wastage thrown in
3. All the cuts of beef
4. Free ranging and no flatting up for the market.
This is the only way I would trust red meat.
Or on the other hand- we can get you a whole buffalo
Three thousand pounds of meat anyone???
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:06   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

At one of his clubs Nelson Rockefeller always used to order a hamburger. A cooking magazine was intrigued and asked the chef for the recipe. The chef said," first you take a filet mignon....".
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Well that is kind of a truth. In my layover in Atlanta I had a burger at TGI Fridays that was great in all its greasy glory. But a MacD's burger would have worked (but I like those anyway and feel they are pretty good for price, if they would just start serving beer).

OTOH I also had a lobster while in Cancun, it pretty much sucked as much as a Cancun cheeseburger.

BTW - I don't really care if there is rat, donkey, horse etc in my burger as long as it tastes good. I even might accept some vegetation in it as an effort to save some poor animal, but I suspect they would be kind of tough tasting.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Try Le Select in St Barth's...
I recall reading somewhere, in something Buffet wrote I think, that this is/was the only resturant he actually granted rights to use the phrase.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post

Cheeseburgers and many types of food suck here in Key West.

But, BO's used to be one of my favorite stops when making landfall in KW. Great burgers I think.

http://www.bosfishwagon.com/
Old 08-12-2013, 13:02   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I recall reading somewhere, in something Buffet wrote I think, that this is/was the only resturant he actually granted rights to use the phrase.
I think that's true. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was given rights to free drinks and food for life in return for letting the son of the owner of Le Select use "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

On the other hand, when we were in St Croix a few years ago, we saw a little restaurant called "Cheeseburger in Paradise". I read that Buffett (his lawyers, actually) went after them. Now they're called "Cheeseburger in American Paradise".
Old 08-12-2013, 13:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There is an excellent little restaurant on Cabbage Key, in Pine Island Sound, southwest Florida. They serve a really good cheeseburger, Jimmy Buffet has definitely been there, and some people believe the song is a tribute to that restaurant...
The first time I dropped in at Cabbage Key, I had my taste buds all set for a great cheese burger for lunch. Few things in life more disappointing than a lame burger....and mine that day was.

Went back at night on a later trip and it was a whole different experience and a good cheeseburger.

On subsequent trips always ate there only at night. Food and atmosphere are much better at night.

I discussed this with them and turns out that on days when boats bring lots of tourists over they just slap out tourist grade grub. At night its normally only locals or on island guests....way better at night.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

They exist, but they are few and far between.

Definately. In my experience, if you want a good burger you have to go somewhere that's been, or is, run by gringos (in the broadest sense, not just Americans).

Hamburgesas in Guatemala, and Central America in general, are typically lame, but there are a few exceptions if you have not discovered them yet: Hotel Kangaroo gets my vote for best burger on the Rio. Tortugal used to have a great one back when my Texan buddy Russ was managing the place, not sure about now.

One of the problems as you mention is the beef. Even the typical poor quality stuff is considered a luxury to the locals. So, for a hamburger the mix it with fillers etc to cut down on usage of actual meat. Breaking that habit was one of the first things Russ had to do to create a good burger at Tortugal.

I generally avoid eating at USA chains, but will compromise my principles for a real good burger....there is now a Chilli's in Guate City and of course they make the same great burgers here as back in the States.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:29   #28

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

It's not about the quality of the cheeseburger, it's about being in Paradise.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I think that's true. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was given rights to free drinks and food for life in return for letting the son of the owner of Le Select use "Cheeseburger in Paradise".
I swear I read the same thing in his book, A Pirate Looks at Fifty... I just spent 30 minutes googling for the answer but alas to no avail.

I don't recall the island, but it was near his home at the time I believe?
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:31   #30

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Just like a good steak, idc what you say, there is nothing like a gourmet cheeseburger whenever you get the chance.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote