Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2013, 02:38   #76
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This is a very interesting topic because it relaits to Americans having a different culture than the rest of the world. I always get abuse when I say Americans have a difeerent culture. What do you expect? They have the same culture as an eskimo in Siberia? Or a Buddist in Mongolia?

American do treat the (humble) hamburger as most un-humble. Not only is it a national dish its a national dish one cant fu!!ck with!
In Australia the hamburger meat pattie will not be just beef but will have additives like onion, tobasco, herbs and spics, carrot and more. More and more, till we call it a "Rissole". But a USA hamburger pattie will only have, and I mean ONLY have beef. No flavorings, no binders,like egg yolk etc, just 100% beef and nothing else at all.

McDolnalds have a major problem in Australia where they have to keep,advertising their beef patties as being beef and nothing else. Because eveyone expects the beef to have onion, carrot etc as well. Even mcdonalds cant understand the cultural difference. ONLY America has beef patties made of beef. ALL beef, nothing else.

So heres the bind, and i think someone else mentioned this, that if your meat patty is JUST beef is needs to be F'ing great beef or it tastes like sh!t!

In my 9 month ramble through the USA last year i found there is a Hamburger on EVERY restaurant menu, even if you are paying $1,000 per head in New York they will still have a hamburger. I never found a restaurant with a burger over $13 or $14 even when every other main dish was much more. Maybe its like the French subsiding the price of bread?

So the USA cooks must know what is acceptable and only sell that. The rest of the world does not know, and can not understand.... Its a cultural diffference.

So when in the USA go buy a Burger, and get to know and enjoy its unique 'burgerness' but never, ever, expect one like that out side the USA. Their aint one in paradise.

Mark
I wouldn't agree there are many countries whose beef is grass fed and rivals or betters the US. Easy to get any style of meat and have it ground . ( And many such countries have the whole " gourmet" burger thing going on " A good burger isn't exclusive to the US, even if sometimes it's the only food you see. ! Lol. Ive had good, bad and great burgers in the States. The same elsewhere.

For me good burgers are an oxymoron , I,d always prefer a nice piece of steak.

Australians are just weird , but hey that's not news !!

Dave

Old 10-12-2013, 04:52   #77

Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Having lived (but not sailed) all over the world I share this never failing philosophy... Always eat local! Always! In America eat a burger. In indonesia eat nasi goreng...

Old 10-12-2013, 05:20   #78

Boat: Catalina 42

Pete's Pub, Little Harbor, Abaco. Blue Cheese Burgers
Lubbers Landing, Lubbers Quarters Cay, Abaco. Island Burger (ground Yellowfin Tuna)
Both worth the trip...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28   #79

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
It's been a while but we went to a place on Virgin Grorda in the BVI that was a burger stand on the water. It was a short boat taxi ride from the Bitter end yacht club...
That is the Sand Box on Prickly Pear and I've had and really enjoyed their burgers.

Many places in Europe, particularly Germany, usually have a 50/50 mix of beef and pork in burger patties and thus they taste nothing like a typical American burger - although at times they can be quite tasty.

American grain-fed beef tastes very different from European non-grain-fed beef and as mentioned earlier the butcher's cut and the grind make a huge difference.
Old 10-12-2013, 15:57   #80
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
That is the Sand Box on Prickly Pear and I've had and really enjoyed their burgers.

Many places in Europe, particularly Germany, usually have a 50/50 mix of beef and pork in burger patties and thus they taste nothing like a typical American burger - although at times they can be quite tasty.

American grain-fed beef tastes very different from European non-grain-fed beef and as mentioned earlier the butcher's cut and the grind make a huge difference.
I find the best meat in the world tends to be in Germany, they treat meat like the French do cheese. I find in the US , size is an analogue for quality ! , but some of the Chicago chop houses do a nice steak.

Dave
Old 10-12-2013, 16:31   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

It's hard to get a good burger in the Bahamas. In the Exumas there's (or maybe there was, not there yet this year and it was closed last May) the Norman Cay Beach Club aka MacDuff's. Most overrated and expensive burger going and in GT there's St. Francis', a well run place but no match for Stateside burgers. Of course maybe we should be ordering conch chowder or conch fritters in the Bahamas.

Anyway, we usually clear back in at Lake Worth. First stop after checking in, the Tiki Bar in Riviera Beach. Great burgers and a bucket of beer. Ah, Paradise!
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:42   #82
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

You can't get a decent Bacon sandwich anywhere outside the UK... and that's a fact... unless they've flown in the Bacon..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:44   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The correct term is "Bacon Buttie" Boatie.

Coops.
Old 10-12-2013, 16:46   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do they fry it in bacon fat like at breakfast?
Old 10-12-2013, 16:49   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I feel like a schoolteacher, the correct term for bacon fat is "dripping". they will not taste as good if you don't talk to them nice.

Coops.
Old 10-12-2013, 16:56   #86
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
The correct term is "Bacon Buttie" Boatie.

Coops.
Mate... we're dealing with the uneducated masses here... lead them slowly.. else some may think its some kinda perversion with a pig...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:59   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I feel like a schoolteacher, the correct term for bacon fat is "dripping". they will not taste as good if you don't talk to them nice.

Coops.
Have to disagree, dripping is from a roast. Bacon fat is bacon fat. Delicious.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:01   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had chip butties in Liverpool. Anything between two slices of limp white bread become a buttie.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:22   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Have to disagree, dripping is from a roast. Bacon fat is bacon fat. Delicious.
You could have me there, it's been a long time. yes, anything between bread is a buttie, however, chip ones are the best.

Coops.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:25   #90

Boat: Looking...

In 1977, long before St. Barths enjoyed its current rich retreat reputation, we poor Westsail sailors stopped in at the island to stock up on Mountgay Rum at the duty-free price of $1.50 a quart. After loading a couple of cases of rum, we were famished, and asked where sailors on a budget could score a good bite to eat. We heard about a dive called Le Select as a spot to get a good burger. As it was lunch, we wandered in. Used the head first - what a stinky dump the head was.

The good smells coming from the grill caught overwhelmed the head however, so we pulled up a couple of stools at the bar. We asked what was to eat, and were told - "Cheeseburger, man that's it. They got other stuff, but the burger is great" Indeed, the burger was fantastic. The same local who recommended the burger pointed out the dude with the long blond hair who had cooked our burgers and said,"Hey man, you know what? That was Jimmy Buffet who just cooked your cheeseburger."

It did look like Buffet, but I thought it was bullshit. I mean, it was his high point, and we had almost all of his music on the boat. Of course, this was all in state of the art home-recorded cassette tapes, so there were no photos.... And was I going to indulge the locals and ask this guy if he was Jimmy Buffet and be the butt if their slow day on their quiet island? Nope, not me!

A few years later though, I had reason to re-think my refusal to talk to the guy. On St. Martin in 1999, I saw and bought a hat that said on the front: "St. Barth's Le Select 1949-1999" and on the back ""Thanks Marius and Jimmy"

That was a damn good cheeseburger - and St. Barth's - and the entire Caribbean - was pretty much Paradise in 1977.......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: