Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 08:31   #1

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30
Cheap UV Filter Solution

I found this UV Filter(http://http://www.safh2ouv.com/Model-212.html) but I don't have a pressurized water system on my boat.

My question is do you think I could install a relatively cheap inline submersible pump to filter the few gallons of pathogen free water I need a day?

Would a pump like that generate enough pressure to push through the 0.5 micron carbon filter?

The manufacturer makes a pump called the scout (SAFH2O-UV-Survivor-Scout-Portable-Ultraviolet-Water-Purifier-and-Filter) which does just that but its 500 bucks versus $178 for the other model. Thanks for the input
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:05   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Cheap UV Filter Solution

"Would a pump like that generate enough pressure to push through the 0.5 micron carbon filter?"
I'd suggest you call them to ask how much pressure their setup is designed to operate on. Probably whatever the average boat/rv "pressure water" pump supplies. And those are inline, not submersible. "Inline submersible" would be an oxymoron, it is either one or the other.
Their $200 solution looks nice, but find out about filter refill costs. Carbon filters can be "standard" sized or just a little off, with a wide range of prices and capacities. Replacement prices and life expectancies for UV-C lamps will also vary.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with hellosailor. You can view a test we recently ran on the Waterfixer units and Whale Gusher Galley foot pumps. It is posted here on Cruisersforum at https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...mps-97630.html
Old 26-02-2013, 12:13   #4

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30

Thank you both. This is why I love cruisers forum. The manufacturer said their's works fine with the whale pumps as well. Thank you Waterfixer for the info. I will be checking out your products.
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 13:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugmasterP View Post
Thank you both. This is why I love cruisers forum. The manufacturer said their's works fine with the whale pumps as well. Thank you Waterfixer for the info. I will be checking out your products.

You've inspired me! I have just run the test again with a brand new Whale Gusher Galley foot pump and a brand new .5m carbon block filter. The flow rate is significantly reduced by the carbon block filter. I pumped and pumped. It took just under 3 minutes to fill a 1 gallon jug.
I have spoken with Whale about their pumps. The main issue with running it through a carbon block filter is the return spring. It does not have the power to push the water. The Whale tech warned me of pump parts failure when pushing against too great a constriction like the carbon block filter. Also, in my test i have been using a brand new filter. When your filter gets clogged a little bit the constriction will be much greater. In the end your water will certainly be clean, but very, very slow.
I hope this helps with your search.

Tags
cheap